1. Joined
    13 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 17:25
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Starting this thread is childish. Taking time to consider moves is not.
    No, this thread is very appropriate although I can admit that it is a waste of my time. So I would just like to end my participation in it with a big tar and feathers to HFRJPcheck for being such a baby.
  2. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 17:35
    Do you lose with the same good grace?
  3. USA
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 17:39
    Originally posted by GrebartsBocaj
    No, this thread is very appropriate although I can admit that it is a waste of my time. So I would just like to end my participation in it with a big tar and feathers to HFRJPcheck for being such a baby.
    I actually beat HFRJPcheck in Game 3904866 😲

That was the best game I've ever played 😏
  4. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 17:45
    He must be bonkers to be accepting such games- he has nothing to gain. And why play aginst provisionals whose real strength can't be assessed? Barking.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 18:41
    In this game ...HFRJPcheck... Game 5295217 has moved more than once a day up until now. At this point however he has stopped moving completely but he still moves frequently in all of the his other games. Obviously he wants to drag this out as long as possible beause he feels bitter about losing. I sent him several messages in both english and fre ...[text shortened]... ake weeks even though it's mate in only a few moves. What can I do about this, any suggestions?
    I don't understand...

Did you or did you not agree to a 3/7 thinking time? He is well within his thinking times so where's the problem?

Do you force your opponent to move early in games OTB also? What respons are you getting there?

I would like to advice him to put you in his ignore list, so he can play your game in peace.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 18:52
    No, this thread is very appropriate
    I already pointed out that you are discussing a game in progress, which violates the rules. You also are harassing your opponent--also against the rules.

It is not against the rules to drag out a game. Some may find it impolite, but the affront to manners of which your opponent might be accussed seems graceful compared to your egregious offenses in starting and pursuing this thread.
  7. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 19:56
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I already pointed out that you are discussing a game in progress, which violates the rules. You also are harassing your opponent--also against the rules.

It is not against the rules to drag out a game. Some may find it impolite, but the affront to manners of which your opponent might be accussed seems graceful compared to your egregious offenses in starting and pursuing this thread.
    In the original poster's defense, it is pretty damn obnoxious to spitefully drag out a game. Recently I played a game where, by move 43, it was a dead drawn pawn-only endgame, all the pawns on the same side of the board, both kings well placed, same number of pawns, none of them passed or even half-passed, all connected -- the positions were basically entirely symmetric, etc...

except that I had a rook, and my opponent didn't.

Now, sure, my opponent was within his rights to make me take all his pawns and checkmate him on move 60, but, really, does nobody have anything better to do?
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 20:011 edit
    Originally posted by paultopia
    In the original poster's defense, it is pretty damn obnoxious to spitefully drag out a game. Recently I played a game where, by move 43, it was a dead drawn pawn-only endgame, all the pawns on the same side of the board, both kings well placed, same number of pawns, none of them passed or even half-passed, all connected -- the positions were basically ent l his pawns and checkmate him on move 60, but, really, does nobody have anything better to do?
    But this is not the case here.

His opponent started with doing more than one moves a dy. Now he is doing a move more seldom. And he is in his full right to do so.

There is one reason, among others, that I don't want to move more often than neccesary, and that's when my opponent interferes with my game. If he try to make me move faster, and in a rader rude way, then he can be sure that I play as slow as possible. This seems to be the case here.

I would put my opponent in my ignore list. If he whines further in the Forum doesn't help his situation.

If my opponent moves slower than agreed, then I simply click the skull and time him out.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 20:44
    You are harassing your opponent and should perhaps be forfeited (I don't know the rules regarding harrassment.)

Your opponent is playing by the rules. By harrasing your opponent on the Forums, it is quite possible that you are not playing by the rules!

The late Tim Russert had a sign on his desk that many of us can learn from: "Don't Whine!"
  10. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 21:04
    In the original poster's defense, it is pretty damn obnoxious to spitefully drag out a game. Recently I played a game where, by move 43, it was a dead drawn pawn-only endgame, all the pawns on the same side of the board, both kings well placed, same number of pawns, none of them passed or even half-passed, all connected -- the positions were basically ent ...[text shortened]... l his pawns and checkmate him on move 60, but, really, does nobody have anything better to do?
    Why would you take all his pawns? You only need to checkmate him and the game certainly takes longer if you're taking all the pawns.
  11. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 21:40
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Why would you take all his pawns? You only need to checkmate him and the game certainly takes longer if you're taking all the pawns.
    conservatism, suppressing counterplay, etc. -- plus it's annoying to have to chase a king around when it's hiding in nests of pawns.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 22:25
    conservatism, suppressing counterplay, etc. -- plus it's annoying to have to chase a king around when it's hiding in nests of pawns.
    Plus, if they're that keen on dragging the game, you can promote all your pawns to Knights. 😀
  13. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 23:052 edits
    I don't think he or she is being any more childish than you are. Certainly the player isn't engaging in the shrill whining that you are. Time controls are there and the use of them doesn't constitute any kind of etiquette or sportsmanship AT ALL. They owe you NOTHING for their time - it is theirs to do as they please.

Now get over it.
  14. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 23:37
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Plus, if they're that keen on dragging the game, you can promote all your pawns to Knights. 😀
    Haha, then sacrifice the rook and see if it's possible to force mate with 3 or 4 knights?
  15. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 23:52
    I played a game OTB a few weeks ago where I had forced mate in 3 and my opp was taking 10 minutes a move. I ended up with only 20 minutes for lunch, but nothing you can do 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree