What to do!?!

What to do!?!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
15 Aug 08

1. You agreed to the time controls. He is well within the limits to take all the time he wants within the given time.
2. If you want more games, then subscribe and play as many games as you want, then you won't care if you have to wait on one game as you'll have many others going.
3. Play blitz and get your quick fix
4. play games with quicker time controls such as 1/0
5. (JOKE) You're going about it the wrong way, you must use reverse psychology. Tell the player they are moving too fast. They will then think you can't keep up with the given time controls and will move faster thus blundering or just simply move faster than usual (which is what you really want) (/JOKE)

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 Aug 08
2 edits

Originally posted by paultopia
Haha, then sacrifice the rook and see if it's possible to force mate with 3 or 4 knights?
Sure, why not? If he insists on dragging out the game, then you can toy with him however you like. Punishing hate-waiters is great fun.

On ICC [blitz chess site], they have this great little feature called 'moretime'. You can add as many seconds to your opponent's clock as you wish. Those poor sports who like to just let their clock run out rather than resign are in for a shock - I just keep giving them more time and never let their flag fall. It's great fun. They can't go on to other games, and are forced to just sit there and stare at their lost position that much longer. The only way out is to man up and resign, or play until mate.

I even had one opponent who sat through several moretimes and finally disconnected, only to find that the server forced him to resume our game the next day! This technique breaks down even the stubbornest hate-waiter. He resigned after a couple more moretimes.

A

Moves
15 Aug 08
4 edits

Originally posted by GrebartsBocaj
In this game ...HFRJPcheck... Game 5295217 has moved more than once a day up until now. At this point however he has stopped moving completely but he still moves frequently in all of the his other games. Obviously he wants to drag this out as long as possible beause he feels bitter about losing. I sent him several messages in both english and fre ...[text shortened]... ake weeks even though it's mate in only a few moves. What can I do about this, any suggestions?
Aside from the perfectly reasonable suggestions that you should start playing blitz or setting 1 day/0 timebank limits, I would also add the suggestion that you should start playing more accurately. You contributed to drawing the mate out by one move, and it could have been two with perfect play from your opponent. Saccing the rook on move 21 would not only have been a more attractive mate, but it also would have been quicker.

After 21. Rf8+!, Kxf8 (Kh7 loses immediately to Qxh8# ). Then 22. Qf6+ Ke8 23. Qf7+ Kd8 24. e7#

E

Moves
15 Aug 08
1 edit

I understand the frustration of watching a player who used to play multiple moves in one day change gears and draw out the game as long as possible. But it isn't all that bad once you get used to it.

Just make sure the rest of the games you play are set at 1 day and 0.

If you want to play a full game, then play blitz. Really that's about all you can do. Just don't become like the ones you are complaining about.

Edit:

And one other thing, when someone pulls this crap after the game is lost, he is not thinking about his next move. If he wanted to think, it would have been when the game was not decided. People who pull this crap are more interested in a couple of ratings points than the game.

h

Moves
15 Aug 08

Your situation has happened to me before. Even as a subscriber, I found it annoying as I'm rather impatient myself. However, the secret to peace is accepting the situation that you are in.[/b]
The secret to success and winning is not accepting the situation you are in and finding a way out and on top. If the astronauts of apollo 13 accepted their situation they wouldn't have made it home. Never give up. Make them beat you, and if they can't, finish them off.

M

St. Paul, Minnesota

Moves
15 Aug 08

Originally posted by hamltnblue
The secret to success and winning is not accepting the situation you are in and finding a way out and on top. If the astronauts of apollo 13 accepted their situation they wouldn't have made it home. Never give up. Make them beat you, and if they can't, finish them off.
Perhaps my Chronos can save me?! 😕

More seriously, peace meaning in that instant. There is a difference between accepting your current situation and working to improve it and denying/not accepting your current situation and working to improve it.

Not that I am very good at this.... 😕

B

Moves
15 Aug 08

I've been playing this one game since April 24. We are still in the middle game lol. He played fast until I started beating him, now he's playing slow as possible. And the sad thing is about is, if he would've been playing normally then he would've won from a timeout. I was gone for about 2 weeks.

N

The sky

Moves
15 Aug 08

I just got this back: "please increase your rating :o"

I told him that I don't think you lose any rating points against provisional players, at least that is not the case on most chess servers.
Yes, you do, although it's only half the amount of what you'd lose if the rating were non-provisional.

G

Moves
15 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Forest9
Do you lose with the same good grace?

FabianFnas

I don't understand...

Did you or did you not agree to a 3/7 thinking time? He is well within his thinking times so where's the problem?

paultopia

In the original poster's defense, it is pretty damn obnoxious to spitefully drag out a game.

Anarschessist ...[text shortened]... imebank limits, I would also add the suggestion that you should start playing more accurately.[b]
I feel obliged to say something...

Forest9, ofcourse I do otherwise it would be more than hypocritical of me to start this thread.

FabianFnas, I'm sorry to confirm that you are right, you don't understand. You are correct in the sense that he is allowed to take his time but this is not the point here. The point is that he cares more about a few rating points in favour of me having to wait for several weeks. At the moment it is mate in two, which he has clearly stated that he knows about, but instead of resigning he has gone on vacation. Extreamly rude in my opinion.

If I had reason to believe that my opponent didn't know it was mate I would not have started this thread. Likewise, in a game where I have
an overwhelming material advantage I would never think about asking my opponent to resign (see some of my recent games). But again, this is not the case. And to comment on FabianFnas question about whether I do this OTB, the answer is that I would. If my opponent similarly would have made me wait for his clock to run out for an hour or so with mate in two on the board I would do the same.

As some of you have pointed out, this would not be a problem if I was a subscriber. Still it remains a question for me now whether or not I want to be part of this community considering how people view this matter. Or maybe I should drag out all of my games whenever I was in a lost position, just for the heck of it! Perhaps then people would have some sympathy for me in this matter.

Anarschessist, I'm not going to discuss any variations because apparently this is against the rules and I respect this. But believe me, I would have gone for that one if I had seen it first and had known my opponents intentions.

h

Moves
15 Aug 08

The concept of "three days per move" is difficult to understand...

F

Moves
15 Aug 08
1 edit

FabianFnas, I'm sorry to confirm that you are right, you don't understand. You are correct in the sense that he is allowed to take his time but this is not the point here. The point is that he cares more about a few rating points in favour of me having to wait for several weeks. At the moment it is mate in two, which he has clearly stated that he knows ust for the heck of it! Perhaps then people would have some sympathy for me in this matter.
You don't know anything about his reasons to slow down the game. He doesn't communicate with you, you said, then how do you know?

And if it is about some rating points, then he have every right to do so too.

I think you try to interfere to his decision to make moves, only because you are p*ssed at him. And this p*sses him. If anyone try to make me move faster, resign or otherwise try to tell me what to do, then I too would be p*ssed. And if I'm p*ssed and I knew what my opponent wanted me to do, then I'd do exactly the opposite.

Are you creating the conflict between the two of you? And when he doesn't respond, like he is your puppy, you whine here at the Forum? Shame on you! 😠

D

Moves
15 Aug 08

So if I understand things correctly, the entire purpose of this thread is to complain about "childish behavior". I think that sparking sound is my Irony-meter overloading.

G

Moves
15 Aug 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
You don't know anything about his reasons to slow down the game. He doesn't communicate with you, you said, then how do you know?

And if it is about some rating points, then he have every right to do so too.

I think you try to interfere to his decision to make moves, only because you are p*ssed at him. And this p*sses him. If anyone try to make me m ...[text shortened]... en he doesn't respond, like he is your puppy, you whine here at the Forum? Shame on you! 😠
Tell me, does immoral behaviour mean anything to you or is everything about what the rules say. Rules can't cover good ethics and I would be interested to hear you give me an example of a society without it.

When I started out playing OTB I once forgot to turn of my mobile phone and it rang. My opponent called after the arbiter and told him to forfeit the game for me. Surely this example followed the rules but was it really fair out of a wider perspective.

I don't want to sound harsh although I'm sure I will, but are you really telling me that your views are so confined that you don't see any point in what I'm saying here?

F

Moves
15 Aug 08

Tell me, does immoral behaviour mean anything to you or is everything about what the rules say. Rules can't cover good ethics and I would be interested to hear you give me an example of a society without it.

When I started out playing OTB I once forgot to turn of my mobile phone and it rang. My opponent called after the arbiter and told him to forfe ...[text shortened]... ng me that your views are so confined that you don't see any point in what I'm saying here?
I don't see any immoral by not playing by the opponents whistle.
But I always see whining as immature.

A

Moves
15 Aug 08
2 edits

When I started out playing OTB I once forgot to turn of my mobile phone and it rang. My opponent called after the arbiter and told him to forfeit the game for me. Surely this example followed the rules but was it really fair out of a wider perspective.
Yes it was fair.

What you're asking for in this case is not a wider perspective, but a narrower one: you want us to to be so concerned for you that we ignore the possibility that there may be mitigating circumstances.

The same thing holds true for your example. You don't want us to think about the jarring effect a phone going off has on the concentration of your opponent, and quite possibly anybody else who may be playing in the same room (as one doesn't usually have arbiters at hand for single games between two opponents, unless their names are Kramnik and Anand). Instead, you just want us to see it from your perspective that you didn't want to lose. Well, tough luck. I'd bet that you haven't left your phone on before playing since then.

Seriously, what's next? Are you going to complain here when your opponent plays an opening you're unfamiliar with?