1. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '07 07:38
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Why fianchetto? It limits the activity of the bishop due to the pawn on e5
    I look to open the center up with ...d5 & with the gain in tempo early on this is quite possible. The long dark square diagonal often opens also.
    The Bg7 protects the K since you have to play g6 anyway.

I suppose it depends on your style of play; if you are a quiet player & won't open the center then yes, maybe the fianchetto is the wrong way to go.
    It has worked well for me though.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    10 Aug '07 08:193 edits
    Originally posted by dsmfire
    This might very well be a game in progress. Game 3890289.
    1. If so, why do you ask for help from other players during a game in progress? Read the site-rules.
    2. Why do people comment games in progress?

Regards, 😠
    I think the game had progressed way beyond the opening in which advice was requested.

If you follow your reasoning to its logical conclusion we might as well close down the "Only Chess" forum.

I have regularly commented on openings such as the Morra and Kings Gambits, Caro Cann and French where I have dozens of games on going (most of which are way beyond the point being commented on although some may be about to approach it). I think if comments are restricted to basic opening principles then there shouldn't be a problem as presumably such information can be obtained from a DB anyway.

A little common sense is called for rather than a dogmatic adherence to rules. Even GMs have played Qh4 (paste the following link into your browser)
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/index.php?co=-&u=-1&c=GM&movelist=e2e4e7e5d1h5&flip=0

If you look through the lines you will find a recent game against Kasparov (black) where a draw was obtained. This would imply that it is not so easy to punish white for such an indiscretion.
  3. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '07 12:04
    Thank you.
  4. home
    Moves
    14 Aug '07 06:46
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I think the game had progressed way beyond the opening in which advice was requested.

If you follow your reasoning to its logical conclusion we might as well close down the "Only Chess" forum.

I have regularly commented on openings such as the Morra and Kings Gambits, Caro Cann and French where I have dozens of games on going (most of which are way ...[text shortened]... s obtained. This would imply that it is not so easy to punish white for such an indiscretion.
    It is very well possible that the game had progressed beyond when the question was posed. I found that the game start and the questions were too close. And it also seemed to me that the chessisvanity followed up the replies in this thread with his opponents move. But I was maybe wrong.
    Anyhow, it doesn't really matter a great deal. It is not a game with me. I just did not find it polite to ask for advice, if that was what he did.
    chessisvanity PM'd me and said he was sorry if he offended me. I was not offended, so this case is closed.

Too me it is allright to ask for advice if you already have played your move. Not if you are about to play your move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree