Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 11 Oct '06 23:19
    1w e4
    1b e5
    2w f4
    2b eXf4
    3w d4
    3b Qd8h4
    just curious to know if this is an opening or not and what the name of this opening is if it is one
  2. 11 Oct '06 23:26
    Steinitz's Suicide.
  3. 11 Oct '06 23:35
    some variation of the kings gambit
  4. 11 Oct '06 23:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    some variation of the kings gambit
    what is its name ?
    and what is the answer after 3b-Qd8h4 ?
  5. 11 Oct '06 23:42
    Originally posted by HFRorbis
    what is its name ?
    and what is the answer after 3b-Qd8h4 ?
    Game 976933
    Game 1979966
    Game 2147039
    Game 2401961
  6. 12 Oct '06 01:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by HFRorbis
    1w e4
    1b e5
    2w f4
    2b eXf4
    3w d4
    3b Qd8h4
    just curious to know if this is an opening or not and what the name of this opening is if it is one
    Ignore moves 3 and 4.

    1w e4
    1b e5
    2w f4
    2b eXf4 is the King'd Gambit Accepted. Who cares about variations. There's thousands of them.
  7. 12 Oct '06 11:01
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Ignore moves 3 and 4.

    1w e4
    1b e5
    2w f4
    2b eXf4 is the King'd Gambit Accepted. Who cares about variations. There's thousands of them.
    yes
    BUT:
    is
    1w e4
    1b e5
    2w f4
    2b eXf4
    3w d4
    3b Qd8h4
    an opening or not ?
    I think that 3w d4 is a mistake , do you know if 3w d4 is in the theory ?
  8. 12 Oct '06 11:18
    3.d4 is objectively a bad move, but there have been players willing to try it as White as several people have already mentioned.

    I can't find a name for this variation, but Steinitz did play something very similar (but much better!) in the Vienna Gambit.
  9. 12 Oct '06 12:31
    Originally posted by HFRorbis
    yes
    BUT:
    is
    1w e4
    1b e5
    2w f4
    2b eXf4
    3w d4
    3b Qd8h4
    an opening or not ?
    I think that 3w d4 is a mistake , do you know if 3w d4 is in the theory ?
    After exf4 the two most played and probably sound moves are Nf3 and Bc4.
  10. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    12 Oct '06 14:31 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    Game 976933
    Game 1979966
    Game 2147039
    Game 2401961


    what is its name ?
    and what is the answer after 3b-Qd8h4 ?
    Do I get a royalty for Game 2147039, the only win for white here.

    That is because 3. d4 is absolute crap! I carelessly played it out of sequence (god knows why I thought I'd already played Nf3) - I should have lost but got lucky (he was "greedy" and grabbed the e pawn when he could have had a Rook). Don't play it as white - ever!

    what is its name ?
    and what is the answer after 3b-Qd8h4 ?


    Nothwithstanding my win above, the only sensible response is actually 4. white resigns; although 4. Ke2 is playable (just!)
  11. 12 Oct '06 16:23
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Do I get a royalty for Game 2147039, the only win for white here.

    That is because 3. d4 is absolute crap! I carelessly played it out of sequence (god knows why I thought I'd already played Nf3) - I should have lost but got lucky (he was "greedy" and grabbed the e pawn when he could have had a Rook). Don't play it as white - ever!

    [i][b]what i ...[text shortened]... the only sensible response is actually 4. white resigns; although 4. Ke2 is playable (just!)
    so 3w- d4 is a very bad move !

    if 4w-resigns , then I should have won this game
    Game 2577760
    what did I mess up in this game ?
  12. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    12 Oct '06 16:54
    Originally posted by HFRorbis
    so 3w- d4 is a very bad move !

    if 4w-resigns , then I should have won this game
    Game 2577760
    what did I mess up in this game ?
    It seems inconceivable that with his K on b3 at move 8 that you shouldn't win.

    Try 8. .. d6
    If 9. d5 .. Qb6; 10. bXc .. BXd2 wins.

    so 9. .. Bc4 .. a5; 10. a3 .. BXN; and if 11. BXB .. NXP+, 12. NXN .. QXN (or 12 Ka2) looks good for black whereas 11. NXB .. QXd4 or 11. QXB .. QXQ; 12. BXQ .. N Xe4 again look good for black.
  13. 12 Oct '06 18:05
    lol I like it, 5 developing moves with the king before move 15.