1. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 01:42
    Does one resign when he is certain he has no chance to win or does the thought process take one to decide on resigning when he thinks he can't win or hasn't the chess knowledge to know whether he has another move or not but rather than stalling or guessing his move he just resigns. Often times I am not sure if I have another move . I want to fight the battle to the death but don't want to waste the time of another more skilled player at my benefit and certainly not his. regards, Big b. p.s. no one has to respond I am just wondering how dog headed and stubborn most people are until they give up, which i hate to do.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:00
    Originally posted by biggest b
    Does one resign when he is certain he has no chance to win or does the thought process take one to decide on resigning when he thinks he can't win or hasn't the chess knowledge to know whether he has another move or not but rather than stalling or guessing his move he just resigns. Often times I am not sure if I have another move . I want to fight the batt ...[text shortened]... wondering how dog headed and stubborn most people are until they give up, which i hate to do.
    DON'T ever resign, fight to the bitter end even when you have 0% winning chance, oh yeah btw, take as long as possible, so the other guy will get frustrated and offer you a draw if you get lucky ;-p
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:051 edit
    Does one resign when he is certain he has no chance to win or does the thought process take one to decide on resigning when he thinks he can't win or hasn't the chess knowledge to know whether he has another move or not but rather than stalling or guessing his move he just resigns. Often times I am not sure if I have another move . I want to fight the batt wondering how dog headed and stubborn most people are until they give up, which i hate to do.
    If you are unsure if the position is lost or not then do play on...I always resign once I believe theres no winning chances, ie piece down in simple positions. A lot of it also depends on the rating of the other player id play on in positions against 1300s that id resign against 2000s.
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:08
    Does one resign when he is certain he has no chance to win or does the thought process take one to decide on resigning when he thinks he can't win or hasn't the chess knowledge to know whether he has another move or not but rather than stalling or guessing his move he just resigns. Often times I am not sure if I have another move . I want to fight the batt ...[text shortened]... wondering how dog headed and stubborn most people are until they give up, which i hate to do.
    You properly resign when you click the resign button, tick the box, then confirm the decision....until then, shut up .
  5. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:181 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    You properly resign when you click the resign button, tick the box, then confirm the decision....until then, shut up .
    Lol. I resign when I feel like it. You should just do what you want (directed at the OP).
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:22
    When you feel like it.

If the opponent hints you should resign, prolong the game.

If your opponent demands you resign, make him as miserable as possible by any possible means - just don't get yourself banned!
  7. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:351 edit
    Resign = Checkmate. Both are losses. So, if checkmate is a 100% no-chance-to-win/draw loss, then a resignation is too. Only resign if it is totally impossible to win or tie. It basically is pointless to resign (only in my opinion!) unless you are playing a tournament.
  8. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:37
    Originally posted by Ramned
    It basically is pointless to resign (only in my opinion!) unless you are playing a tournament.
    I'd say the opposite. Why would you want to keep going on a game that you are losing when there is no point to it? If I was in a tournament, where there is a point to winning, I'd be less inclined to resign. But if it is for fun, then I'd learn from my mistake and move on.
  9. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:422 edits
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    I'd say the opposite. Why would you want to keep going on a game that you are losing when there is no point to it? If I was in a tournament, where there is a point to winning, I'd be less inclined to resign. But if it is for fun, then I'd learn from my mistake and move on.
    😛

That's right, I actually think I meant that, but mixed things up.

But, summarily, it is better to not resign and always go for the win or draw. After all, it can make things more interesting and exciting if you try to comeback. Game 2866814 Don't comment!!

Tends to make you think much harder when you're where I am in that game, especially at the moment I lost my queen. DO NOT COMMENT ON THAT, PLEASE!

**On Yugoslav's comment, below: It can be taken that way. (BTW I meant better to resign in non-tournament games) But, as I am inexperienced at this game, I don't know the "etiquette of chess".
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:45
    Resign = Checkmate. Both are losses. So, if checkmate is a 100% no-chance-to-win/draw [b]loss, then a resignation is too. Only resign if it is totally impossible to win or tie. It basically is pointless to resign (only in my opinion!) unless you are playing a tournament.[/b]
    so inconsiderate...
  11. Joined
    02 Dec '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:54
    Resign = Checkmate. Both are losses. So, if checkmate is a 100% no-chance-to-win/draw [b]loss, then a resignation is too. Only resign if it is totally impossible to win or tie. It basically is pointless to resign (only in my opinion!) unless you are playing a tournament.[/b]
    If you're not a member it makes sense to resign more often, as you can only have 6 games going.
  12. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:581 edit
    Originally posted by eertognam
    If you're not a member it makes sense to resign more often, as you can only have 6 games going.
    I don't know about that. I just subscribed a few days ago, and before, I was also limited to 6 games.

It's better to do those 6 games to the best of your ability rather than try to finish them fast, just to start another 6 games, and do the same thing.
    *** Plus 6 games is enough. If it is too slow, here's a good strategy I picked up when I was a non-sub: When you start a new game, go to the Player Tables. Then, look at the "Moves this Month." Pick someone who has moved alot this month, click on him, and challenge him, and you'll play more often. I didn't do that too much, as I don't move that much.
  13. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 04:40
    I don't know about that. I just subscribed a few days ago, and before, I was also limited to 6 games.

It's better to do those 6 games to the best of your ability rather than try to finish them fast, just to start another 6 games, and do the same thing.
    *** Plus 6 games is enough. If it is too slow, here's a good strategy I picked up when I was a non-sub: ...[text shortened]... e him, and you'll play more often. I didn't do that too much, as I don't move that much.
    Since becoming a subscriber you've certainly let rip.

Damn the consequences I will play not six but EIGHT games.
  14. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 03:571 edit
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Since becoming a subscriber you've certainly let rip.

Damn the consequences I will play not six but EIGHT games.
    AND a torunament, and profile images. WOO. I'll probably work up to 20 in a few months anyways

How do you do 180 games ????

(I am playing NINE now, so I'm getting to it!)
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 03:59
    AND a torunament, and profile images. WOO. I'll probably work up to 20 in a few months anyways

How do you do 180 games ????

(I am playing NINE now, so I'm getting to it!)
    Not that Tripod b-slapped your avatar.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree