1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 16:16
    Originally posted by Superman
    He just wanted to demostrate his piont.
    and his point was??? "Chess Fundamentals", by Capablanca covers king-pawn versus king endings. If the advancing king is behind the pawn, black has no fears, he just keeps alternating the opposition. I was 12 years old when I learned that. 40 YEARS AGO
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 16:22
    Originally posted by GreatSantini
    and his point was??? "Chess Fundamentals", by Capablanca covers king-pawn versus king endings. If the advancing king is behind the pawn, black has no fears, he just keeps alternating the opposition. I was 12 years old when I learned that. 40 YEARS AGO

Originally posted by Wulebgr
    nope

(just pointing out the absurdity of the reasoning of one rabid Ohio State fan, and a few others of his ilk)

"Chess Fundamentals", by Capablanca covers king-pawn versus king endings. If the advancing king is behind the pawn, black has no fears, he just keeps alternating the opposition. I was 12 years old when I learned that. 40 YEARS AGO

If you do not know these two positions and are over 1400, you got there by accident.

I don't see how I could make my point without others explaining what I mean.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 17:021 edit
    A well known maxim is "You don't win games by resigning". If you're not sure if it's time to resign, it probably isn't. Play another move and let your opponent prove he has a win.

When I was young I once resigned a game at the end of the playing session because I was a couple of pawns down. It was then pointed out to me that I had a winning move! I never forgot that and ever since then I only resign when I'm good and ready.

A friend of mine who was very good at tactics used to resign when "there are no more cheapos left". It worked well for him, and he often salvaged a draw or even a win from a game well after other players would have given up.

In post mortems at the end of games I sometimes used to ask my opponent why they hadn't resigned even though they were several pieces down, and the reason was often because they thought they might get a back rank mate. When I learned this, I tried removing the possibility of back rank mates by playing h3, g3 or whatever rather than going for a cleaner win, and, sure enough, this often precipitated a resignation!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 17:142 edits
    I give up.....no more. Wulbger is obviously operating on a higher level than the rest of us. I don't know what he's talking about anymore.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 17:261 edit
    Originally posted by GreatSantini
    I give up.....no more. Wulbger is obviously operating on a higher level than the rest of us. I don't know what he's talking about anymore.
    Sorry.

It turned into a lesson on elementary endgames (which some of us have known for many decades). It started with the simple observation that there is a world of difference between these two postings (only one of which is sensible):

Originally posted by Korch
    I`m resigning when I`m not seeing any chance to avoid losing. When I`m 100% sure that my opponent will wij me anyway.

Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    I resign when I have no chance of winning, or am down a large amount of material and have no positional compensation. To me, people that never resign are rude.

To the second I offered an elementary position in which black has no chance of winning, but in which resigning would be a serious error.
  6. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 22:41
    Sorry.

It turned into a lesson on elementary endgames (which some of us have known for many decades). It started with the simple observation that there is a world of difference between these two postings (only one of which is sensible):

Originally posted by Korch
    [b]I`m resigning when I`m not seeing any chance to avoid losing. When I`m 100% sur ...[text shortened]... sition in which black has no chance of winning, but in which resigning would be a serious error.
    What he means is that in the first position he posted, black wins not, but doesn`t lose either, so he shouldn`t resign but to search for a draw.

In other words don`t resign in draw positions, even if you have no way of wining.

Am I rigth wuledgr?
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 03:001 edit
    What he means is that in the first position he posted, black wins not, but doesn`t lose either, so he shouldn`t resign but to search for a draw.

In other words don`t resign in draw positions, even if you have no way of wining.

Am I rigth wuledgr?
    yep

now, if you could learn to spell Wulebgr 😉
  8. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 03:28
    yep

now, if you could learn to spell Wulebgr 😉
    Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wuebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr
    Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr-Wuebgr-Wulebgr-Wulebgr

I really just wrote the first line and the other ones copyed and pasted them.
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 04:16

I really just wrote the first line and the other ones copyed and pasted them.
    yep. The old discipline techniques just don't work any more.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree