1. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 18:44
    This summer I meat a good player that let me play french defence as black. It is many years ago I played it as black. I am satisfied with this game and maybe I should play french as black......

When I look on games with the french opening I have discoverd that they sometimes play f6 to break up the center and sometimes black is not playing that move. My Question is,
    When is it good and when is it bad to play f6 in the french opening ??
    Any rules of the tumb ?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 00:191 edit
    Originally posted by DagamoStyle
    This summer I meat a good player that let me play french defence as black. It is many years ago I played it as black. I am satisfied with this game and maybe I should play french as black......

When I look on games with the french opening I have discoverd that they sometimes play f6 to break up the center and sometimes black is not playing that move. ...[text shortened]...
    Any rules of the tumb ?
    hi I think that its mostly played in the advance variation, 1.e4 e6, 2.d4 d5, 3.e5 after which black attacks these two central pawns d4 and e5 with moves like c5 and f6. actually Ari Zeigler Swedish international master has an excellent chessbase dvd on the French defense. i can post some variations for you if you like - regards Robert.😀
  3. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 01:43
    For me the move c5 feels easy to understand. Build up the tension in the center and put on the pressure on the d4 point with the pawn on c5, Nc6, Qb6 and also Ne7-f5 and everything is looking at d4. The only weakness is the point d6 to have in observation.

To do the move f7-f7 feels a little more "scary". It feels that it weakens the e6 point and also if I make short castling my K will not be so safe as I would like. Many black players does play the move f6, so the pros must be higher. But the move have not reached my "backbone" yet. Sooner or later I will get the right feeling for that move also.....
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 11:06
    Ziegler says that this move f7-f6 is a french players favorite move. According to him the whole concept of playing the French is to destroy whites powerful center with these two moves, f7-f6 and c7-c5. interestingly he does not favor the move Qb6, although he admits that its a good move but feels that it is too early to move the queen, as he says its very powerful on d8 anyhow and may be utilized against black squared weaknesses on the kingside at some point. of course the biggest criticism of the french defense is that the white squared bishop becomes 'passive', however Ziegler shows that it can be utilized in a very effective way, playing against its counterpart on f1. for example 1.e4 e6, 2.d4 d5, 3.e5 c5, 4.c3 Nc6, 5.Nf3 and instead of Qb6 he recommends Bd7! this move prevents Bb5 for example (6.Bb5 Nxe5 Bxd7+ Nxd7) and also prevents Bd3 (6.Bd3 cxd4 7.cxd4 Qb6) and white loses a pawn, if Be3 then Qxb2. so black has a small victory forcing white to put his white squared bishop on e2. 😀
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 11:101 edit
    I'm a french killer. In other words, it doesn't matter when you play it against me.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 12:34
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I'm a french killer. In other words, it doesn't matter when you play it against me.
    ok, French killer wanna play, if you play 1,e4 I guarantee you will be weeping after 1..e6, just challenge me and lets go, weeeeeeeeee 😀
  7. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 12:40
    In most variations of the French f6 is played and yes it's one of our favourite moves and perfectly logical in connection with c5 to undermine white's pawn structure. I even play f6 sometimes in the exchange as a precursor to Q-side castling and a K-side pawn storm.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 12:42
    Originally posted by demonseed
    In most variations of the French f6 is played and yes it's one of our favourite moves and perfectly logical in connection with c5 to undermine white's pawn structure. I even play f6 sometimes in the exchange as a precursor to Q-side castling and a K-side pawn storm.
    You want some too? 😛
  9. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 12:43
    You want some too? 😛
    Any day, matey!
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 12:451 edit
    Originally posted by demonseed
    Any day, matey!
    You're on... that includes all french players... except weyerstrass.
  11. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 22:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Ziegler says that this move f7-f6 is a french players favorite move. According to him the whole concept of playing the French is to destroy whites powerful center with these two moves, f7-f6 and c7-c5. interestingly he does not favor the move Qb6, although he admits that its a good move but feels that it is too early to move the queen, as he says its ...[text shortened]... hen Qxb2. so black has a small victory forcing white to put his white squared bishop on e2. 😀
    Thanks. I like this type of information. I am going to go to Zieglers "shop of chess items". It is in the same town as I live in . If I meet him, I can give him some greatings from you !?
  12. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 23:38
    You're on... that includes all french players... except weyerstrass.
    challenge is sent....
    Game 5375184
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 23:42
    Thanks. I like this type of information. I am going to go to Zieglers "shop of chess items". It is in the same town as I live in . If I meet him, I can give him some greatings from you !?
    wow, you live in the same town as Ari Zeigler, he has a shop?, which city is it in? next time I am visiting Sweden, (i have a friend who is married to a Swedish girl), i will try to visit or get them to visit for me. please give my kindest regards to the man !
  14. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 23:52
    The town is Göteborg (Gothenburg). I live in a surburb to that town. Give me a PM if you are passing by. Maybe I have time to show you around !
  15. Joined
    01 Aug '04
    Moves
    30 Aug '08 00:33

When I look on games with the french opening I have discoverd that they sometimes play f6 to break up the center and sometimes black is not playing that move. ...[text shortened]...
    Any rules of the tumb ?
    If you can master the timing of f6 in the French then you are on your way to having a lifelong defense to 1.e4. If you wait too long to play the f6 break you can be blown off the board. If you play it too early your position can be destroyed. If you time it right you will understand the beauty of the French.
    Scott

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree