1. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 14:30
    Where can I read the rules for playing on this site (I think I saw them when I signed up, but can't find them now). It's been suggested to me (by a member) that Chess programs are illegal but Chess Databases are not, that's surprises me. I figure anything but brain power, study, and hard work, is illegal. I'd like to see if for myself. Or maybe I don't understand how databases are different than programs. Please assist.

thanks.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 14:34
    Originally posted by seddleman
    Where can I read the rules for playing on this site (I think I saw them when I signed up, but can't find them now). It's been suggested to me (by a member) that Chess programs are illegal but Chess Databases are not, that's surprises me. I figure anything but brain power, study, and hard work, is illegal. I'd like to see if for myself. Or maybe I don't understand how databases are different than programs. Please assist.

thanks.
    Bottom of any Page

Site rules > Site Rules > Terms of Service.

By the way those are common correspondence rules....
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 14:36
    Originally posted by seddleman

thanks.
    here the beef from TOS:

3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS
    In consideration of your use of the Service, you represent that you are of legal age to form a binding contract and are not a person barred from receiving services under the laws of the United States or other applicable jurisdiction. You also agree to :

(a) You will not create more than one account.

(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

(c) You may not threaten or harass other users of this Service.
  4. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 14:57
    Thanks everyone. Next, I've got to learn about chess databases.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree