1. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 13:00
    there was a player 3rd in the table pawnb4pawn or something similar, he was 3rd yesterday but has vanished, anybody know why?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 13:19
    Originally posted by roma45
    there was a player 3rd in the table pawnb4pawn or something similar, he was 3rd yesterday but has vanished, anybody know why?
    He apparently resigned a bunch of games and put a note that he was drastically cutting back his participation in thsi site due to "inevitable Christmas discussions".
  3. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 17:03
    I'm playing him right now and he hasn't resigned to me! I just noticed this phenomenon and came right to the forums to see if there was any mention. Will have to ask him why I'm so lucky to be spared, when K&P and Kingshill were sloughed off.
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 19:49
    "As a result of the inevitable 'Christmas discussions' I'm going to cut down the number of games drastically.
    Sorry for cancelling some interesting games. "

Nine games remaining.........christmas discussions???
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 19:53
    Originally posted by Hells Caretaker
    "As a result of the inevitable 'Christmas discussions' I'm going to cut down the number of games drastically.

The time when everyone discusses just how well certain players are doing without any artificial aid.
  6. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 20:25
    Originally posted by adramforall
    The time when everyone discusses just how well certain players are doing without any artificial aid.
    I wont hold my breath then.
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 01:35
    Originally posted by adramforall
    300 games since mid june at 2300+ standard... impressive.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 04:07
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    300 games since mid june at 2300+ standard... impressive.
    Opponent Avg. Rating 1721 1714 1714
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 04:32
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Opponent Avg. Rating 1721 1714 1714
    Did you look at Kingandpawn's game against him? He was about to pin queen king and that resignation looked just in time to avoid embarrassment.
  10. on your backrank!
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 04:54

how would he know having joined only this june?
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 06:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did you look at Kingandpawn's game against him? He was about to pin queen king and that resignation looked just in time to avoid embarrassment.
    I might be missing something, but it looks like he's ok to me.

13. Nd5... Bb7
    14. Bb6... Bg5
    15. BxQd8... BxQd2+
    16. RxBd2... RxBd8
  12. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 19:16

Dean (Revrsleeker) pointed out to me that 'Christmas discussions" may refer to the Germans in WW1: "WW1, Christmas 1914, on the western front...an unofficial truce was called by British and German officers and men. They ventured further and further into 'no man's land' on the days leading up to Christmas eve, they then exchanged such things as marmalade and tobacco as gifts. On Christmas day some French units joined in this mass meet, there were thousands involved all told.
    On the 26th Dec' 1914, the German High Command had been contacted by that of the British, 'concerned' at the fraternisation of 'warring nations'...the Germans wrote back that a state of 'Weihnachten Diskussionen' had broken out amongst its ranks but this had ceased with immediate effect. Weihnachten Diskussionen is literally 'Christmas discussions', which is actually a not a term at all..i'e it doesn't mean anything specifically; later Historians understood this to be a 'coded' apology from the German High Command, very aware of the 'live and let live' movement taking hold amongst both the allies and German forces. It indicated that men from ALL sides had 'other, more important things on their minds..!' If this happened in future, and it did, the men involved were shot....from ALL sides. Curious eh.."
    (That's how Dean writes! Don't ascribe that to me.)
    Thus, I'm assuming he is about to be shot!
  13. Joined
    15 May '11
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 22:47
    I asked him the reason for the resignation, hoping all was well. He explained his family had complained about the amount of time he was spending over the board, so he felt it was necessary to cut back.

K&P
  14. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 23:35
    Originally posted by Kings and Pawns
    I asked him the reason for the resignation, hoping all was well. He explained his family had complained about the amount of time he was spending over the board, so he felt it was necessary to cut back.

K&P
    thanks, hope you had a good christmas. have a happy new year
  15. .
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 00:54
    Funny how people here jump to the worst conclusions.....I interpreted "Christmas discussions" as those discussions you normally have at this time of year with your wife and family...."I promise to be on the computer less", "yes chess is taking up too much time", "yes I will spend more time with the family", "you are my one true love, not chess" etc.

Seasons greetings to the real people reading this, any computers reading this can be damned......
    🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree