1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 09:341 edit
    2000 in four years. I don't see any point in thinking more ahead, and even that is a bit of a stretch. my only real goal is 1800 RHP by the end of the year, but it looks like my time is running out. we'll see... 1600 at CTS, which is well on schedule (now at 1530 with 85% sessions). I believe I could hit 1600 right now with around 70% success rate.

I'm even surprised I've stayed so enthusiastic about chess this first year, so I wouldn't be surprised if I grew tired of it at some point. if it happens, it happens. I don't really worry about it.
  2. Joined
    26 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 10:17
    I'm hoping I'll know someone someday who plays chess at all. Tried to teach my partner, but she's just not interested... a couple of lads at work play on rhp, but no one in real life...
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 11:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 11:47
    I’ve been playing 48 years (haven’t played OTB for at least 15). At one point I thought I could be a master and actually reached USCF 2095. At some point around that time, I realized becoming a master was either out of the question or took more work than I was willing to put in especially after one master told me about 30 years ago, “You don’t realize how much work I have to do just to stay over 2200.” I quit studying and became content just to play correspondence chess off and on and, once in a while, either here or at Chessworld. I even gave away my chess books and magazine collection years ago. Chess can be good relaxation for a lifetime (I’ve been a life member of the USCF over 40 years). If you want to reach the upper levels, be prepared to really work at it, but if you are going to obsess with your rating, be prepared for frustration and even more WORK!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 12:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Big D
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 12:48
    My goal for the next 10 years is to play through all the games of Rubinstein, Nimzovitch, Capablanca and Alekhine. If I'm ahead of schedule, then I might go through Botvinnik and Smyslov's games.

My short-term goals include unpacking, organizing and inventorying all of my chess books. Also, I'd like to design a chess-themed bookplate.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 13:01
    Ten years from now I will have passed the point where it is possible to improve. The brain turns to oatmeal at about age 40, and I'm already well beyond that. 😉

(PS, I do expect to get over 1800 here before then.)
  8. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 15:52
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    you look at it like a burden. if 'chess' is your enjoyment then part of that enjoyment would be the frustrations and hard work.

the problems i see is... what happens if someone sets this goal and they don't achieve it AND they lose a lot of what they sacrificed to attempt it ? what would be left of their life? it's a bet. it may be a good bet or it may be ...[text shortened]... ent lies... to push myself and look for achievement. i don't have chess goals though.
    Ah, to be young again! I have reached the point where I can enjoy chess without working at it; I’m content just to play. At one point in life I worked 12 hour days for promotions so I could increase my income, so I could buy a bigger house, a bigger car and put more money in the bank. Now I don’t want any more responsibility than I already have and I’m content with my material possessions. My goal these day’s is to retire and not have to work at anything and enjoy what little I have during whatever time I have left.
  9. Joined
    25 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 15:53
    10 years? i see myself with a rating of 2300 playing in high level tournys and yesif i still pla on RHP i guess one of the top
  10. USA
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 23:08
    In 10 years I [hopefully] see myself as an expert (2000-2199) or master (2200+).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree