12 Nov '06 19:301 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 19:31
    Originally posted by Sidi
    I was looking forward to reading this post since I am also thinking of getting a nice set, and the DGT board is one for me to consider. Is there any chance it can get back onto topic before the site admins delete it please?
    Sure, from what I've seen Staunton sets are the tops. As for the DGT boards, the one below $700 posted on page one looks quite nice, but honestly, I wouldn't purchase that unless you have a ton of cash to burn and are very serious about recording games (enough to refuse to simply use pencil and paper).
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 19:38
    A nice set will enhance my enjoyment of chess. And if it enhances my enjoyment, then it should help improve my game. So I think a nice set will help most people out.

The question is if the DGT board is worth the money. It would be good because I'd also buy Fritz with it and I would then play more chess, but it's a lot to spend. But with Christmas coming up then it might be a good excuse.
  4. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 20:11
    A nice set will enhance my enjoyment of chess. And if it enhances my enjoyment, then it should help improve my game. So I think a nice set will help most people out.
    It doesn't matter if the chess set cost £50 or £5000 it isn't going to make you a better player.
  5. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 20:20
    I agree I wouldn't spend more than 50 dollars on a chess set. However, if you make 100k+ a year or something like that I don't see what's wrong with an electronic move recorder.
  6. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 20:251 edit
    I don't think anyone thinks that a better set makes a better player. I do think that playing on a nice wood board and set makes the game more enjoyable.

It's easy to personalize the question to "What would you do with $700" but the question is "I have $700 to spend on a nice chess set, what should I get".

Add the look of that DGT set to that the functionality of recording moves in a quick game for further analysis and I think you get both an aesthetic and functional tool.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 20:51
    The set itself won't make you a better player, but it may well make you enjoy playing chess more. And if you enjoy something more then I think you will become better at whatever it is.
  8. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 02:00
    Originally posted by Arctic Jack
    I've got roughly 350 UK pound / 700 US dollars to spend.

I'm torn between a traditional wooden board, not sure which one yet or the DGT electronic chess board to use with my laptop. Does anyone have the DGT board? What is the board/pieces quality like? I've read they have brought out more expenisve pieces to use called 'Royal' 'ebonized' 'classic' etc ...[text shortened]... nd? Could you also give me a link so I can see your choice.

Thank you,

Bernard.
    http://www.houseofstaunton.com
    They offer the best selection I've seen.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 02:06
    Get the DGT one, it sounds awesome.
  10. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 02:09
    Beautiful but frivolous if you ask me
  11. Standard memberpawnfondler
    no edits
    Behind you
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 06:14
    get the classic wood peices . waighted of course. more versitile. simple.and just plain classic.. word
  12. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 18:25
    I was looking forward to reading this post since I am also thinking of getting a nice set, and the DGT board is one for me to consider. Is there any chance it can get back onto topic before the site admins delete it please?
    I'm thinking (well since my gf has asked if I wanted it for a combined birthday and xmas present the thinking part is over) of getting the DGT board too, I was a bit dissapointed that it does not record the games without a laptop or pc (I think it might record the last game only). But nevertheless it looks great and can help my chess as you can analyse the games, I'm not sure if it ananlyses the games or whether you have to use a computer software package, maybe someone can let me know (please)?
  13. Standard memberbot 6
    Bla bla bla
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 18:37
    i agree. being rude and ignorent to everyone is funny. hahahaha
  14. Standard memberbot 6
    Bla bla bla
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 18:39
    my opinion...who gives a f@#$
  15. Standard memberbot 6
    Bla bla bla
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 18:40
    chill out fabian

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree