1. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 10:53
    I've got roughly 350 UK pound / 700 US dollars to spend.

I'm torn between a traditional wooden board, not sure which one yet or the DGT electronic chess board to use with my laptop. Does anyone have the DGT board? What is the board/pieces quality like? I've read they have brought out more expenisve pieces to use called 'Royal' 'ebonized' 'classic' etc. I'd be interested to find out what they're like?

On the other hand a traditional wooden board. If you had that amount of money to spend on a set what would you recommend? Could you also give me a link so I can see your choice.

Thank you,

Bernard.
  2. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 11:11
    I would buy a chess engine instead of a wooden set and especially a wooden board.
  3. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 11:15
    Originally posted by HFRorbis
    I would buy a chess engine instead of a wooden set and especially a wooden board.
    I play a lot of games with my friends though that's why i'm interested in a board. I play online and have chess programs already.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 11:18
    Don't spend too much of a traditional wooden board with wooden pieces. Buy the ones the chess clubs have, they don't by top quality, luxury chess sets. And those are the ones you will be offered to use during their (or standard) tournaments.

I've seen very fancy chess sets, made of colored glass or high definition pieces with artistic features. But they are useless to play with. Only made for its beauty.
  5. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 11:18
    Go to chess baron if your looking to buy a quility set, mine is £300 but its beautiful and i shall have it for life, you can't beat playing on a beautiful board and pieces.
  6. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 13:07
    I bought myself a set a few years ago from http://www.bcmchess.co.uk/wooden.html I don't play much otb chess but just felt it's something that will last me a lifetime. However I'm not really sure it's worth to spent 300 notes on a board. I got mine for around £100 and it's a nice set.

I'd buy a cheaper board and maybe spend the rest on other chess products, maybe a clock, Fritz, books, other chess software (database, vids, openings etc)
  7. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 13:17
    Originally posted by Arctic Jack
    I play a lot of games with my friends though that's why i'm interested in a board. I play online and have chess programs already.
    Then go ahead
    Go waste your 350 £
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 15:26
    Originally posted by HFRorbis
    Then go ahead
    Go waste your 350 £
    Why is it a waste if that's what he wants, personally I am thinking of getting the DGT board myself as it records the moves (which I can't do in rapid play otb) allowing later analysis
  9. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 15:54
    I think this is the winner for you...

http://www.chesshouse.com/electronic_chess_computer_sensory_s/108.htm

DGT wooden chessboard that will record your moves for under $700.

You would get the look and functionality you want and make me very jealous.
  10. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 16:14
    Originally posted by briancron
    I think this is the winner for you...

http://www.chesshouse.com/electronic_chess_computer_sensory_s/108.htm

DGT wooden chessboard that will record your moves for under $700.

You would get the look and functionality you want and make me very jealous.
    Yeah that's the one I am thinking of getting, as we tend to play 10-15 min social games at our club and I would like to learn from my errors which is hard when you play another game straight away, but with this I could save the game into a laptop and analyse it later.
  11. USA
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 16:47
    I don't buy fancy boards. I got a good, weighted, plastic set with a bag and roll up board for 25 bucks at USCFsales.com
  12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 16:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 17:25
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Lada or Mercedes? Good question.

With a Mercedes I can't afford much more. Perhaps i have to eat noodles rest of my life, just for pleasure to own a Mercedes.
    Is it worth it?

With a Lada I can by one Lada for every family member too and I can still afford to eat Guide Rouge restaurant food every day.
    Is this worth it?

If chess is so important - then go for it.
    If you have a life besides too - then use your money wisely.
  14. Joined
    24 Jun '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 17:34
    I have a shot glass chess set at home! Its great but no one ever wants to play 🙁
  15. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 17:584 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree