Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 04 Sep '06 20:23
    I think the Danish gambit is the best.
  2. 04 Sep '06 20:26
    Benko Gambit
    Scotch Gambit
    Göring Gambit
    Vienna Gambit
  3. 04 Sep '06 20:30
    Do you have any games of gambits you played.
  4. 04 Sep '06 20:36
    Currently I play the KID, and after a couples of games, Iill decide if i'm going to stick with it or not.

    If I dont, then i'll look into the Budapest Gambit, which looks tasty.
  5. 04 Sep '06 20:39
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    Currently I play the KID, and after a couples of games, Iill decide if i'm going to stick with it or not.

    If I dont, then i'll look into the Budapest Gambit, which looks tasty.
    I think the Benko is much more sound for black to play against 1.d4.
  6. 04 Sep '06 20:44 / 1 edit
  7. 04 Sep '06 20:44
    I think the Benko gambit is the only gambit against d4 that is resonable.
  8. 04 Sep '06 20:55
    the smith morra gambit is quite effective, it has been played by Tal, i know.
  9. 04 Sep '06 21:19
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    the smith morra gambit is quite effective, it has been played by Tal, i know.
    Judging by my current record with the KG on RHP (see profile) I'd say that is the best gambit for me. However, I have a couple losses coming with it, and find that other gambits are quite good, but none of them offer the excitement of the KG.
  10. 04 Sep '06 23:07
    I usually don't play many gambits, but there are some i like: giocco piano moller attack(this one isn't a good idea for cc chess), the two knights max langeGame 2319998,the two knights traxler variationGame 2356516 Game 2363288,the two knights/lolli attackGame 2329365 and the evans gambit....as you can see i enjoy the giocco/two knights.I recently tried the bishop gambit and i wasn't happy with the resultGame 2434744, my resignation was premature but i decided i'm taking a break from cc chess.
  11. 05 Sep '06 00:51
    White:
    King's Gambit (most of my games after 1. ...e5)
    Danish Gambit (occasionally)
    Blackmar-Diemer Gambit (many of my games after 1. e4 d5)

    Black:
    I hardly play gambits as black but once or twice...
    Queen's Gambit- Albin Countergambit
    King's Gambit- Falkbeer Countergambit
  12. 05 Sep '06 01:10
    The Benko Gambit is the only truely solid gambit opening?
  13. 05 Sep '06 01:12
    Originally posted by gambit3
    The Benko Gambit is the only truely solid gambit opening?
    Are you asking a question, attempting to make a statement, or questioning a comment from somebody?
  14. 05 Sep '06 01:21
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Are you asking a question, attempting to make a statement, or questioning a comment from somebody?
    Making a tenative statement. As far as I know GMs have trouble with the White men vs a well played Benko Gambit. There is no weakness in this opening as far as I know.
  15. 05 Sep '06 01:24
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Making a tenative statement. As far as I know GMs have trouble with the White men vs a well played Benko Gambit. There is no weakness in this opening as far as I know.
    Truly solid? Yes. The only truely solid gambit? I doubt it. I score better with the KG then I do with the Benko (or any other opening for that matter), so at the mid 1500 range the KG seems more than solid. Is the Benko incredibly solid? Yes. Is there enough compensation for the pawn as far as most players are concerned? Yes.