Which gambit opening do you think is the best

Which gambit opening do you think is the best

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Y

Moves
05 Sep 06

noticing the name of this thread, i'll revise my previous statement and say that I have absolutely no clue what the best gambit is. But I would say that it certainly isn't the Danish, which goes nowhere after:

1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3 d5!

or

1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Bc4 cxb2 5. Bxb2 d5! 6. Bxd5 Nf6 7.Bxf7 Kxf7 8.Qxd8 Bb4+ when 9. Qd2 is forced

c

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by YUG0slav
noticing the name of this thread, i'll revise my previous statement and say that I have absolutely no clue what the best gambit is. But I would say that it certainly isn't the Danish, which goes nowhere after:

1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3 d5!

or

1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Bc4 cxb2 5. Bxb2 d5! 6. Bxd5 Nf6 7.Bxf7 Kxf7 8.Qxd8 Bb4+ when 9. Qd2 is forced
Depends on what one means by "best gambit". Does that mean soundest, most exciting, or best fits the definition of a gambit?

Y

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Does that mean soundest, most exciting, or best fits the definition of a gambit?
-Soundest, I would say Benko and Evans Gambits
-best fits the definition, I guess I would say..iono, but Queen's Gambit is certainly the worst! (not even a gambit due to 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. Qa4+) and the Danish doesnt quite fit either since black can give back the material to equalize
-most exciting...Muzio Gambit?

g

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Truly solid? Yes. The only truely solid gambit? I doubt it. I score better with the KG then I do with the Benko (or any other opening for that matter), so at the mid 1500 range the KG seems more than solid. Is the Benko incredibly solid? Yes. Is there enough compensation for the pawn as far as most players are concerned? Yes.
You are not a GM. Your results are not what a opening is measured by. I lose with the Benko Gambit. I play bad moves. At the GM level we can evaluate a opening. I am sure that the Latvian Gambit is a poor opening, but I doubt I could beat it with a very strong player playing Black. All you are saying is that the 1500 range rated players do not know how too play Black vs the King's Gambit. They are playing bad moves. Black has the resources the take the King's Gambit.

Y

Moves
05 Sep 06

consequently, how many gambit games do you even see at gm level??????
excluding QG (which declines in use more and more everyday) since
1. the main lines are to decline it
2. it's a not a real gambit (would that make it elligible for being a pseudo-gambit?)

PC

Moves
06 Sep 06

P

Moves
06 Sep 06

Originally posted by gambit3
You are not a GM. Your results are not what a opening is measured by. I lose with the Benko Gambit. I play bad moves. At the GM level we can evaluate a opening. I am sure that the Latvian Gambit is a poor opening, but I doubt I could beat it with a very strong player playing Black. All you are saying is that the 1500 range rated players do not know how too p ...[text shortened]... King's Gambit. They are playing bad moves. Black has the resources the take the King's Gambit.
i just wonder, how many GM's would beat Rybka (rated over 3000) if it was forced to play the KG. If you are saying only the best players can decide if an opening is sound then try and beat the best program in the world playing a gambit opening.

k

washington

Moves
06 Sep 06

i was just messing around when i started this game but got serious about it when i found a mistake. i thought i would just be taken to the endgame and be beaten up. game still in progress so dont comment on any further play.

k

washington

Moves
06 Sep 06

oops sorry forgot to put it into format Game 2444463

Moves
07 Sep 06

Originally posted by jonzzzz
I think the Danish gambit is the best.
Danish is pretty boring if black knows that he should give back the material.

Moves
07 Sep 06

Not sure which gambit is the best. I really do enjoy the KG as white and the Benko as black. While the KG is probably not as solid as the Benko I tend not to believe in playing the best move in the position all the time, you should play the best move for yourself.....its not worth making the best move in a position only to find you dont enjoy the resulting play/finding that it transposes to positions you dont really understand as deeply.

The Benko as black is a total dream at the cost of a pawn, blacks pieces just slide onto great squares and black tends to get the inititive, not to mention the over all strategy is fairly easy to understand.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
07 Sep 06

See Thread 51562 for a conclusive answer

W
Angler

River City

Moves
07 Sep 06

Two gambits have a strong positional base and are terribly difficult to refute: the King's Gambit and the Volga Gambit.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
07 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Two gambits have a strong positional base and are terribly difficult to refute: the King's Gambit and the Volga Gambit.
I don't know the Volga Gambit! or if I do I know it by another name.
What is it?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
07 Sep 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
I don't know the Volga Gambit! or if I do I know it by another name.
What is it?
Benko