1. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 04:421 edit

I've been looking at this position from a game of mine for a while, and I'm still not sure if Black or White has a better position...

any thoughts?

edit: btw white to move
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 04:47
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    I've been looking at this position from a game of mine for a while, and I'm still not sure if Black or White has a better position...
    Is the game finished?

D
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 05:191 edit
    yes and it's not one i played on rhp anyways (it was fics)

edit: if you don't believe me then you can check my games...i only have 2 in progress anyways
  4. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 05:401 edit
    At a glance I would say white has the better position. White's queen is mobile and white has more potential threats and a better chance for pieces to work in unison, while black's pieces are cramped and for the most part seperated. Black's rooks are doubled, but ineffectually. I'll look at the position some more and let you know if I see any surprises.

Edit: But the opposite color bishops could become interesting if and when the pawn structure breaks down. A lot of games with opp color bishops tend to wind up drawish.
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 05:461 edit
    in the actual game, I played 1.Rxe5 when 1. ...fxe5 wouldve prolly resulted in a long strenuous game that would end in a draw due to the opposite colored bishops

but black played 1. ...Rxe5?? and lost instantly to 2. Qb3

if one side were to have a knight instead of a Bishop then he would have a huge advantage
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 05:58
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    [fen]4r3/6k1/pp3pq1/2pBrRp1/2PpPbPp/3P3P/PP6/3Q1R1K w - - 0 1[/fen]

any thoughts?

edit: btw white to move
    After a quick look, Qa4 looks good.

D
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 08:341 edit
    White, I think, can draw the game (at least) by locking down the two pawns on the left and then it's practically a draw there. But, yeah, Qa5 looks good, White's the only guy who can get to the Queenside fast enough to get control. So it's either a draw OR White can push for a win. Black would be suiciding if he tried to play for a win, IMO.

In fact it takes Black's Queen SIX moves to get to a5, so that proves how useless Black's Queen is. It's like White's up a Queen.
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 01:35
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    But the opposite color bishops could become interesting if and when the pawn structure breaks down. A lot of games with opp color bishops tend to wind up drawish.
    great example of this:

Final position of Onischuk-Shulman Round 1 at the 2006 US Championship

White (Onischuk, who would win round 2 and become the US Champion) to move but can't win because the black king just shuffles between g8 and f7 and white can never trade the bishops off or force black's bishop to move
  9. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 02:52
    White has the better position mainly because he's got a better bishop. All he has to do is break the queenside on the a and b ranks and he's got the game won.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree