1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 10:42
    There was a high rated (IM or something) player who had to ask about the rules concerning castling.
    Does anyone know who he was?
    Can anyone fill in what actually happened?
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 10:45
    During the match between Karpov and Korchnoi, an amusing incident occurred. In the 21st game, Korchnoi played a strong opening novelty and, after a terrible blunder by Karpov, had achieved an overwhelming position. During this game, Korchnoi got up from the board, walked over to the arbiter and asked whether he could legally castle king-side in the current position, in which a bishop was attacking his rook on h1. The arbiter, Salo Flohr, informed him that he could. Korchnoi did so, and Karpov soon resigned.

Copy & paste from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Korchnoi
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 11:091 edit
    I'd never heard of that Korchnoi one before, but the incident involving Averbakh is famous:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castling#Notable_castlings
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 12:01
    What's OTB?
  5. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 12:19
    In 1972 the rules for castling were changed. A requirement was added that the King and Rook must be on the same RANK. It would seem the requirement that neither King nor the Rook involved has moved would ensure they were on the same rank (original squares). Why was this change necessary? Let people think about it and I'll post the answer later today.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 12:26
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    In 1972 the rules for castling were changed. A requirement was added that the King and Rook must be on the same RANK. It would seem the requirement that neither King nor the Rook involved has moved would ensure they were on the same rank (original squares). Why was this change necessary? Let people think about it and I'll post the answer later today.
    Tim Krabbé composed a joke chess problem containing vertical castling (king on e1, promoted rook on e8). The loophole in the definition of castling upon which this problem was based was removed by the new requirement that the castling rook must occupy the same rank as the king.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 12:30
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What's OTB?
    OTB - over the board. Not on internet.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 12:331 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    OTB - over the board. Not on internet.
    It was a joke about a relatively high rated player on RHP who once asked that question.

Edit - Sorry for being off-topic.
  9. e4
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 13:34
    It was a joke about a relatively high rated player on RHP who once asked that question.

Edit - Sorry for being off-topic.
    I thought it was.

Perhaps we should start using NOTI.

"I played this game NOTI and this happened..."

Not On The Internet.

or 'NHBOAS'

Not Here But On Another Site.

or, if you want to, you can call someone a CHEAT.

Creates
    Humerous
    Empty
    Attacking
    Threats
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 13:41
    What's OTB?
    I've seen that "What's OTB" reference a few times here, but am not sure where it refers to, neither what is so strange about asking it. "OTB" is definitely not a regular abbreviation, and if it was, only in English - I wouldn't know a Dutch or for that purpose German, Italian or French term for it.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 14:191 edit
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    I've seen that "What's OTB" reference a few times here, but am not sure where it refers to, neither what is so strange about asking it. "OTB" is definitely not a regular abbreviation, and if it was, only in English - I wouldn't know a Dutch or for that purpose German, Italian or French term for it.
    It's a very common abbreviation, as far as I understand it (althought I'm not an English speaker). The concept of over-the-board is present even from the preface of the FIDE rules of chess.

http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article

FIDE Laws of Chess

The FIDE Laws of Chess cover over-the-board play.

(...)
  12. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 14:23
    Yes, but never it is referred to as "OTB". I've just searched the Dutch translation of the FIDE rules and it is called, translated, "board chess".
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 14:39
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Yes, but never it is referred to as "OTB". I've just searched the Dutch translation of the FIDE rules and it is called, translated, "board chess".
    So you're just saying he's too stupid to figure it out? There was a thread here were people were just communicating with non-standard acronyms. It isn't that hard.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 16:09
    So you're just saying he's too stupid to figure it out? There was a thread here were people were just communicating with non-standard acronyms. It isn't that hard.
    then again, it wouldn't be the first time the person in question pretended to 'not understand' something just to create noise... in fact, most of his posts seem to be like that.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 17:53
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I'd never heard of that Korchnoi one before, but the incident involving Averbakh is famous:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castling#Notable_castlings
    wow, that was so weird! I was surprised when learning the exact same rule here in the forums a couple of months ago, and I had felt like a complete patzer, was ashamed of not knowing the rule.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree