1. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 13:28
    Originally posted by carpiste
    but i will happily play anyone and tell them how to be a better player...
    would you like to coach me for free ?
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:03
    Originally posted by DawgHaus
    Let's not jump to too many conclusions. Weyerstrass was strong in correspondence well before computers became a factor. Here's a old win over a future CC World Champion.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1460971
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1251434
  3. Joined
    09 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 20:50
    Originally posted by Korch
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1251434
    What's your point?
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 21:191 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 09:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The opposition on RHP is of a lower standard than Weyerstrass would generally meet on ICCF so maybe his better performance here is not such a surprise. On other sites where the opposition is tougher he loses.
  6. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 09:21
    This is a pass/fail - anyone who would cheat is the biggest cheat.
  7. Chess Incubator
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 09:46
    Originally posted by Kepler
    The opposition on RHP is of a lower standard than Weyerstrass would generally meet on ICCF so maybe his better performance here is not such a surprise. On other sites where the opposition is tougher he loses.
    Good Point
  8. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 10:512 edits
    The opposition on RHP is of a lower standard than Weyerstrass would generally meet on ICCF so maybe his better performance here is not such a surprise. On other sites where the opposition is tougher he loses.t
    He has played with many banned engine users in RHP which makes doubtful argument about opposition of a lower standard.

Also game I have mentioned he lost not because of "higher standart" of his opponent but due to his own weak play (horrible blunder in 11th move). Here is that game:

And he has only few loses in sites like Gameknot which are full of cheats, as admins of these sites does absolutely nothing to fight against them.

So its obvious that his performance in RHP and other similar sites is obviously better.
  9. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 14:14
    That game is 19 years old. How well did you play 19 years ago?
  10. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 14:213 edits
    That game is 19 years old. How well did you play 19 years ago?
    As I have 26 then 19 years ago I had only 7 (when I only learned hot to play chess). Weyerstrass (according to his Gameknot profile) has 52 - so 19 years ago he had 33 (when according to chessgames he have been played chess for at least 19 years). Chess players usually have better results in 30+ than 50+ age.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 14:26
    Cheap demagogy. As I have 26 then 19 years ago I had only 7. Weyerstrass (according to his Gameknot profile) has 52 - so 19 years ago he had 33. Chess players usually have better results in 30+ than 50+ age.
    I think only one big blunder doesn't prove anything about his strength. But given the statistics of engine matchups in his RHP games in the OTB club forums, I won't try to defend him about this subject.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 14:301 edit
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I think only one big blunder doesn't prove anything about his strength. But given the statistics of engine matchups in his RHP games in the OTB club forums, I won't try to defend him about this subject.
    Those statistics were pretty damning. However, what I found more amazing was that some of his opponents had even higher matchups with Fritz - but they still lost!
  13. Joined
    09 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 17:54
    He has played with many banned engine users in RHP which makes doubtful argument about opposition of a lower standard.

Also game I have mentioned he lost not because of "higher standart" of his opponent but due to his own weak play (horrible blunder in 11th move). Here is that game:

[pgn]
    [Event "corr NBC/"]
    [Site "corr NBC/"]
    [Date "1989.??.??"]
    [ ...[text shortened]... at his performance in RHP and other similar sites is obviously better.
    Such horrendous blunder is unusual even in OTB, let alone CC. It is hard to believe this game is representative of his real strength by the time he played it.
    what is remarkable about this player is the fact that he never lost a single game in RHP even though he most certainly played against engine users, banned or not.
    On the other hand, he has been around for quite a while and was certainly investigated.
    Isn't the fact he's still around an indication he is not an engine user beyong a reasonable doubt?
  14. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 18:06
    Originally posted by smaia
    Such horrendous blunder is unusual even in OTB, let alone CC. It is hard to believe this game is representative of his real strength by the time he played it.
    what is remarkable about this player is the fact that he never lost a single game in RHP even though he most certainly played against engine users, banned or not.
    On the other hand, he has been around ...[text shortened]... t the fact he's still around an indication he is not an engine user beyong a reasonable doubt?
    no, he can be a centaur...
  15. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 18:28
    Originally posted by smaia
    On the other hand, he has been around ...[text shortened]... t the fact he's still around an indication he is not an engine user beyong a reasonable doubt?
    I did not say that that short game represent his real strenght. I understand that even the strongest players can have their bad days. It only seems surprising for me that player who is able to make blunders have made zero blunders in RHP.

About being still around - look at User 51824 for example - he have been around for almost 5 years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree