Who's your top 10 chess players ever?

Who's your top 10 chess players ever?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
30 Jan 10

Originally posted by Hells Caretaker
Thread topic," who's your top ten".....no joke. What be your top ten?
Honestly, I've not heard of half of the names mentioned. If my life depended upon it, I might be able to come up with maybe three players, ever. Sadly, I would be number three!

JH

Moves
30 Jan 10

1 Fisher 😀

2 Kasparov

3 Capablance

4 Karpov

5 Botvinnik

6 Anand

7 Alekhine

8 Lopez

9 Morphy

10 Short 😏

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
31 Jan 10

1.DanMV
2.Capablanca
3.Kasparov
4.Alekhine
5.Karpov
6.Morphy
7.Fischer
8.Tal
9.Botvinik
10.Lasker

pp

Moves
31 Jan 10

Originally posted by clandarkfire
1.DanMV
2.Capablanca
3.Kasparov
4.Alekhine
5.Karpov
6.Morphy
7.Fischer
8.Tal
9.Botvinik
10.Lasker
Why don't you include our RHP GM RECUVIC in the list? Is it because he can't notate chess moves?

M

Moves
31 Jan 10

Originally posted by clandarkfire
1.DanMV
2.Capablanca
3.Kasparov
4.Alekhine
5.Karpov
6.Morphy
7.Fischer
8.Tal
9.Botvinik
10.Lasker
I like that list, very similar to mine!

A

Moves
31 Jan 10

Favorites

1.Tarrasch
2.Tal
3.Euwe
4.Smyslov
5.Nezhmetdinov
6.Steinitz
7.Lasker
8.Larsen
9.Tartakower
10.O'Kelly

h

Moves
31 Jan 10

You aren't seriously suggesting a Belgian to be the best chess player ever 😞

A

Moves
31 Jan 10

Originally posted by heinzkat
You aren't seriously suggesting a Belgian to be the best chess player ever 😞
I said favorite and listed him 10th so no

Had I said best I would've picked Koltanowksi 😛

T

Moves
31 Jan 10

I think the real measure should be; how many of games of value have they produced? Playing some good games is wonderful promotion of chess and therefore plays a huge role in its popularisation
Using heinzkats idea, here is my revised list:

1. Boris Gulko. The greatest chess player in history. Holder of both the USSR and US champion title. Only player to have a positive score vs Kasparov
2. Bent Larsen. A truly great innovator second only to...
3. Wilhelm Steintz. The player who formalised the informal (if that is even possible)
4. Gary Kasparov. The product of genetic testing and robotics
5. Robert Fischer. Revived interest in chess in the United States
6. Mikhail Tal. Revered by the previous two players
7. Emanuel Lasker. The 'Doctor' of chess
8. Anatoly Karpov. Analytical genius
9. Vladimir Kramnik. I dont think I will ever be able to 'Play like Kramnik'
10. <Everyone I've missed out>

h

Moves
31 Jan 10
1 edit

10. <Everyone I've missed out>
"Only player to have a positive score vs Kasparov"

I doubt it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_beaten_Garry_Kasparov_in_chess

"The product of genetic testing and robotics"

I've heard several times he learned the movements of the pieces by just looking at the problems from the local newspaper his mother set up on a chess board. Isn't that wonderful?

T

Moves
31 Jan 10
1 edit

"Only player to have a positive score vs Kasparov"

I doubt it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_beaten_Garry_Kasparov_in_chess
I stand corrected!

Konstantin Lerner (U16) (+1-0=1) Total score: +1!

I will always be convinced that both Gary Kasparov and Paul McCartney were killed in 1966 and replaced by robots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead

Edit: I blame Gary's driving (since he was about 3 years old at the time). This post is getting off topic so I shall be quiet now

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
01 Feb 10

1- Boris Spassky - unlike Kramnik, Alekhine, Lasker etc. only Champion to not take the title and run when the opportunity presented itself.

2- Tal - one glorious year we had him as champion.

3- Bent Larsen - A gift to chess in the West. Periodically I play the Ng4 line of the Maroczy as a tribute.

4- Morphy - a nice alternative to Fischer. Gave us an easy to remember game to impress people who barely know anything about chess.

5- Kozul Zdenko - for giving me two years of victories in the Rossolimo by playing Na5.

6- Kasparov - Sort of like Sting, admirable but dificult to get along with.

7- Jan timman - got bumped up for New in Chess. Many interesting games, almost anything he comments on is golden.

8- Efim Geller - I constantly find that my play leads me into stem games that he played.

9- Capablanca/Alekhine - can't seperate them. Two sides of the same historical coin. Almost every game I have looked at of theirs I have learned something from.

10- Nimzowitsch - Unstable. My type of chess player.

honorable mention to the chess authors- yermo, rowson, dvoretsky, aargard, watson, silman, geoff chandler, tisdall, nunn, sadler, yusupov and the list goes on.

M

Moves
01 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Tiwaking
9. Vladimir Kramnik. I dont think I will ever be able to 'Play like Kramnik'
How is it possible not to be able to play like Kramnik? I've blundered to mate in one many times. Just last week I almost played like Kramnik, I blundered to a mate in 5 when I was two pieces up vs a player rated 2000 OTB. I was proud to play so similarly to a world champion.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
01 Feb 10

Originally posted by Maxacre42
How is it possible not to be able to play like Kramnik? I've blundered to mate in one many times. Just last week I almost played like Kramnik, I blundered to a mate in 5 when I was two pieces up vs a player rated 2000 OTB. I was proud to play so similarly to a world champion.
Such irreverence will earn you a secure place for all eternity, but there will be no music there.

j

Paris

Moves
19 Feb 10

Kasparov
Karpov
Fischer
Capablanca
Alexhine
Tal
Lasker
Kramnick
Botvinnik
Spassky

And last but not least, Kortchnoy, even if he has not been world champion. No one mentioned him, but he is a wonderful player, never defeated, fantastic ...