1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 21:28
    It's been about a year since I joined this site, and I'm not improving, am I gonna be stuck for the rest of my life???

in fact I'm getting worse...i get beaten by 1600s easily while I'm even having trouble beating 1300s.
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 21:29
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    It's been about a year since I joined this site, and I'm not improving, am I gonna be stuck for the rest of my life???

in fact I'm getting worse...i get beaten by 1600s easily while I'm even having trouble beating 1300s.
    get a subscription and play more games
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 21:36

i looked at the start of your last game.. why not play the deferred stienitz instead of that?
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 21:38

There's been some recent threads on chess improvement. Check them out.
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 21:42
    Are you analyzing your completed games (on your own, not with a engine)?
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 21:53

Some people when the learn more about chess they get worse at first until something clicks and what they learned now makes sense and then they jump to the next level...this can last for VERY long periods!

p.s. Are you studying tactics?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 22:34
    Ya want some bad news....you could get worse. I'm floundering around 1360 now, after muddling around the low 1600's on and off and down from a high of 1700 hahahahahahahaaaa
  8. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 01:181 edit

Are you doing anything active that's known to lead one to improve? Or just kinda expecting it to happen on its own, you know, kinda like magic?

If you're just playing games, and with the same approach you used a year ago (not talking openings and such, but post-mortem discussion, post game analysis, thinking refinements, etc) and absolutely nothing else, well... good luck with that approach, you probably have your answer already.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 01:28
    well I don't play frequently enough, since I'm in school.
  10. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 01:49
    well I don't play frequently enough, since I'm in school.
    Best excuse ever. 🙂 Of course its one thing to go months or years without playing, but not moving frequently shouldn't be an impediment in CC... in fact, you'd kind of expect the opposite.
  11. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 02:37
    Read a crap load of chess books. I've been on here for a little over a year and I have read close to 15 books. Subscribe and play more games. Study tactics and practice. Go play on FICS or RHP blitz...
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 02:41
    Originally posted by hammster21
    Read a crap load of chess books. I've been on here for a little over a year and I have read close to 15 books. Subscribe and play more games. Study tactics and practice. Go play on FICS or RHP blitz...
    I have only read two books since I have been on here...planning on making it three with "Amateur's Mind" and look at my improvement...I say that the key to improvement is TACTICS and only tactics at this level...then once you have MASTERED tactics you can move on.
  13. Joined
    19 Aug '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 02:46
    Hey, "The Amateur's Mind." Now that's a great book. I just finished it. Did you get the expanded 2nd edition?
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 03:05
    Originally posted by Brettwith2ts
    Hey, "The Amateur's Mind." Now that's a great book. I just finished it. Did you get the expanded 2nd edition?
    Yes...the one with all the extra problems right? thats the one I got.
  15. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 03:16
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I have only read two books since I have been on here...planning on making it three with "Amateur's Mind" and look at my improvement...I say that the key to improvement is TACTICS and only tactics at this level...then once you have MASTERED tactics you can move on.
    I say, silly boy, that it's jellybeans. Jellybeans and only jellybeans. Especially the blue ones. And I know whereof I speak.

No. Actually I've been drinking a little. I observe in all seriousness that The Amateur's Mind is an odd choice for someone who claims as you do. Because it's primarily a book about positional play, strategy, and planning. Mind you, the author doesn't pooh-pooh tactics, but the book is not primarily about tactics. (Shhh! Don't tell anyone I told you.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree