Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    14 Jul '06 05:44 / 1 edit
    I've checked, and this isn't in the FAQ.


    Every time i play someone higher rated than me in a one off game, the same thing seems to happen.

    If they beat me, i say good game, take it on the chin, and move on.

    If i beat them however, and it does happen sometimes, they almost immediately challenge me again. . .Whats that all about??

    I jus beat a 1521 guy, and the challenge went in almost at the same time he resigned, and its not the first time this has happened.
    Is it because higher rated people cant take getting beat? or they just cant take getting beat by me ? I mean, i know i'm bad, but is there an automatic ego thing that kicks in when you enter the top 2000?
  2. 14 Jul '06 05:54 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I've checked, and this isn't in the FAQ.


    Every time i play someone higher rated than me in a one off game, the same thing seems to happen.

    If they beat me, i say good game, take it on the chin, and move on.

    If i beat them however, and it does happen sometimes, they almost immediately challenge me again. . .Whats that all about??

    I jus ...[text shortened]... know i'm bad, but is there an automatic ego thing that kicks in when you enter the top 2000?
    Hm, I dont think most people over 1800 or those who play OTB would do such a thing. Last season OTB I lost to someone rated 600 points under me........gosh I felt like s**t but still smiled and told him well done. Sure there is always going to be the odd one who gets annoyed but for those who try to take chess semi seriously and try to improve, the higher rated people probably have lost more games over time than those with a lower rating so tend to take it more in their stride.
  3. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    14 Jul '06 05:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Hm, I dont think [b]most people over 1800 or those who play OTB would do such a thing. People lose all the time. I lost to someone rated 600 points under me in an OTB game last season, gosh I felt like s**t but still smiled and told him well done. Sure there is always going to be the odd one who gets annoyed but for those who try to take chess semi ser ...[text shortened]... eoples rating probably means they have lost more games over time than those with a lower rating.[/b]
    Hmm . Maybe its because it doesn't happed very much, and its just coincidence. . .i can believe that.


    Ok second question.
    I know this is personal preference really , but i know i can't beat 1500 players normally, so deleting the new game. . .right or wrong ?
  4. 14 Jul '06 06:48
    I don't think this is even a moral question. Of course you can delete it if you do not wish to play.
  5. 14 Jul '06 07:16 / 1 edit
    Depends on your reasons for rejecting the game and on your reasons for playing chess. If you just want to play and win then deleting it is fair, if he wasnt a fun game then deleting it is also good, but if you're here to play anyone then deleteing it wouldnt make sense
  6. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    14 Jul '06 07:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Depends on your reasons for rejecting the game and on your reasons for playing chess. If you just want to play and win then deleting it is fair, if he wasnt a fun game then deleting it is also good, but if you're here to play anyone then deleteing it wouldnt make sense
    Nah, i just wanted to bask in the glory of beating someone better than me for a while, rather than crashing back down to earth

    I suppose the question "what if" has always been too strong for me. . .Game on, i guess
  7. Subscriber Ponderable On Vacation
    chemist
    14 Jul '06 07:56
    Asking for a rematch is not neing unable to get over a defeat I think. Maybe people rated higher than you and losing just want to fix their ego as badly as you want by beating them.
  8. 14 Jul '06 08:12
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Nah, i just wanted to bask in the glory of beating someone better than me for a while, rather than crashing back down to earth

    I suppose the question "what if" has always been too strong for me. . .Game on, i guess
    Sounds like a good reason to me, if I beat Kasparov he wouldnt get a rematch, my 100% record would be good forever
  9. 14 Jul '06 09:44
    I've just lost about 8 games in a row and am steaming, literally steam pouring out of my ears.......arrrrghhhhhhhh

    :'(

    I just had to vent my anger and this was the nearest thread, need to de-stress.

    Back on the topic, I am a genial loser but I like to kick a can down the street after the event.
  10. 14 Jul '06 09:55
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    [b]I've checked, and this isn't in the FAQ.




    If i beat them however, and it does happen sometimes, they almost immediately challenge me again. . .Whats that all about??
    Hey maybe they think it was a good game and they want another. Whipping a lower rated player or being whipped by a higher rated player isn't always the most fun. A close game from someone whose beat you but who you think have have chances against is a good challenge.
  11. 14 Jul '06 09:58
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I jus beat a 1521 guy, and the challenge went in almost at the same time he resigned, and its not the first time this has happened.
    Is it because higher rated people cant take getting beat? or they just cant take getting beat by me ? I mean, i know i'm bad, but is there an automatic ego thing that kicks in when you enter the top 2000?
    An implied message of "Good game, fancy another?" does not warrant a complaint imo...
  12. 14 Jul '06 10:48
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I've checked, and this isn't in the FAQ.


    Every time i play someone higher rated than me in a one off game, the same thing seems to happen.

    If they beat me, i say good game, take it on the chin, and move on.

    If i beat them however, and it does happen sometimes, they almost immediately challenge me again. . .Whats that all about??

    I jus ...[text shortened]... know i'm bad, but is there an automatic ego thing that kicks in when you enter the top 2000?
    I am not a high level player but I do as a normal routine is offer a rematch after any game win lose draw or resigned If I enjoyed the game with the other player. I think and this is only what I think you happen to be reading deeper into the rematch them you really should be. Then again I could be wrong.
  13. 14 Jul '06 17:26 / 1 edit
    I have played a lot of 3 match series since I have been at RHP.

    A few of those times a lower rated player beat me, and I felt I didnt play my best chess, so I challenged him to a rematch.

    One opponent called it "proving the victory".

    Another time I had a win all wrapped up, then the game sat there for a day and I played it the next day while tired and I forgot what it was I had planned to do (in this case it was to bounce my Knight advantage and prevent my opponent from Queening, leaving me free to do the same) so I went after the pawn with my King and lost.

    In that case I just really felt I blew it and wanted another opportunity to play better.

    We played twice more and we drew and I won a game.

    I think many people just want that opportunity to play a 2 out of 3 in order to 'prove' to themselves that that one game was an aberration.
    Especially when you lose to a loser rated player, you just feel like you should've been able to win.

    other times I have been the one to victory first and they wanted another crack, and since we had a good first game I am happy to oblige.

    One game just isnt a good enough test sometimes, so you meet an opponent and play a good game, win or lose often times you want to play again just to see how it comes out after a few matches.
  14. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    14 Jul '06 18:16
    Originally posted by Turanthor
    I have played a lot of 3 match series since I have been at RHP.

    A few of those times a lower rated player beat me, and I felt I didnt play my best chess, so I challenged him to a rematch.

    One opponent called it "proving the victory".

    Another time I had a win all wrapped up, then the game sat there for a day and I played it the next day while ti ...[text shortened]... r lose often times you want to play again just to see how it comes out after a few matches.
    It just reminds me a bit of that scene in "Bill and teds bogus Journey", when they Play death for their lifes, and beat him at chess.


    "Best two out of three"
  15. 14 Jul '06 18:17
    The simple truth for me is, I hate losing, and adding to that, when it comes to chess (something i try so hard at) I'm a perfectionist.

    The only thing worse than losing is losing badly, playing moves and making blunders which you know better than.

    For me, thats a painfull feeling which will put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day, A mix of disapointment, regret anger and fustraition.


    This is a prime example: - Game 2156574 I became "upset" when I failed to see through the complications of the sac, I became even more upset when I played Ne5 (missing the draw) and was at the point of dispair when I played QxQ failing to spot a VERY simple tactic.

    after such a bad loss I issued a rematch, simply because i felt like i had somehing to prove (to myself), he however, chose to delete the game.

    and Its not just when I lose either.

    Game 2223319

    I spent a long time, And to great depth trying to justify my Queen Sac...

    And I did, and it proved to be very sucessful, but the game still upsets me, simply because the ending was sloppy and poor, and need not of been, I had a forced mate in 2


    I know the feeling I get when I play poorly, which is why i usually accept the rematch (as i did with the guy above) ...


    ...unless of course I have a good reason not to (i.e been abusive)