1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 18:44
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    The simple truth for me is, I hate losing, and adding to that, when it comes to chess (something i try so hard at) I'm a perfectionist.

The only thing worse than losing is losing badly, playing moves and making blunders which you know better than.

For me, thats a painfull feeling which will put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day, A mix of dis ...[text shortened]... h the guy above) ...

...unless of course I have a good reason not to (i.e been abusive)
    Thats exactly what i'm talking about.

Think how us poor low raters feel, when after pulling off the win of the century, we're asked to prove ourselfs again. . .Take it on the chin man.
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 19:01
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Thats exactly what i'm talking about.

Think how us poor low raters feel, when after pulling off the win of the century, we're asked to prove ourselfs again. . .Take it on the chin man.
    1) You can always delete the game.
    2) when you lose to weaker players it is generally because you were not playing your best.

it is because you were not playing your best is the exact reason you want a rematch, a chance to play better.
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 12:26
    I won again 🙂
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 13:141 edit
    Game 2156574
    The sacs obvious. You forced him to do it. If he retreats g5 forks anyway. Its obvious trouble is in store when he can bring Q & N to bear and all your pieces are the other side of the board.
  5. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 13:25
    1) You can always delete the game.
    2) when you lose to weaker players it is generally because you were not playing your best.

it is because you were not playing your best is the exact reason you want a rematch, a chance to play better.
    2) Or the weaker player played much better and you may have thought that the result was a formality - a win for you. This is a generalisation for all players, not you personally. 🙂
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 13:27
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    The sacs obvious. You forced him to do it. If he retreats g5 forks anyway. Its obvious trouble is in store when he can bring Q & N to bear and all your pieces are the other side of the board.
    ....indeed, the sac is obvoius, and i did see it, but didn't look into it. in my mind it was "pawn for bishop, 1-0" ....how wrong that was.
  7. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 13:39
    Some competitive people can’t stand losing. I read a description of Reshevsky once about a game he was playing. The writer described him as hunching over the board with his face turning red and the veins in his forehead bulging. In simuls, if he was losing, he would stick out his hand, and when his opponent shook it, he’d say “Draw!” and quickly move on. Fischer wanted to crush opponent’s ego. Spassky, on the other hand, was never anything but a gentleman. I’ve related in a previous thread how I saw IM Milan Vukcevich get caught in an opening trap and lose a 19 move game to a class A player in an early round. He congratulated his opponent and spoke highly of his play. He also continued playing in the tmt. even though his chance of a high prize was gone. Ratings aren’t the issue but, rather, psychological make up.
  8. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 13:46
    i]. Ratings aren’t the issue but, rather, psychological make up.[/b]
    Ratings shouldn't be the issue but they evidently are, and leave some players with a massive hang-up, or even hangover.🙄
  9. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 15:04
    Originally posted by excalibur 8
    Ratings shouldn't be the issue but they evidently are, and leave some players with a massive hang-up, or even hangover.🙄
    Right. I once saw a junior analyzing his game with a friend. He was talking about how his opponent left himself a backward Pawn, overlooked a fork, etc., etc. He kept saying the guy only had a 1200 rating was really stupid. A nearby Master couldn’t take it any longer and told the kid: “How does his rating make him stupid? My rating's 2225. I think your moves were @#*& and I think you’re a @^%*#@& idiot!” My combined rating on 4 different sites is over 8000 points, and I was able to use them and $2.90 to get breakfast at McDonald's this morning!
  10. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 16:327 edits
    A sadist and a masochist are playing chess in a firmy locked hotel room.

Masochist: Beat me , beat me. Please beat me.
    Sadist: (sternly) No!

In the position below how did the sadist, White to play, manage to avoid pleasing the masochist?

Invalid FEN inserted - B1n1n1KR/1r5B/6R1/2b1p1p1/2P1k1P1/1p2P2P/1P2P2P/3N1N2/

Don't post the correct answer if you think it is very easy.
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 17:14
    Hmm . Maybe its because it doesn't happed very much, and its just coincidence. . .i can believe that.

Ok second question.
    I know this is personal preference really , but i know i can't beat 1500 players normally, so deleting the new game. . .right or wrong ?
    one time i deleted a game cuz my opponent played d4 and i didnt feel like playing that lol
  12. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 19:03
    [b]Nah, i just wanted to bask in the glory of beating someone better than me for a while, rather than crashing back down to earth 🙂
    Bobby Fischer did it - so can we! Take the points and run! 😀
  13. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by Mixo
    Bobby Fischer did it - so can we! Take the points and run! 😀
    I got the second win, he resigned.

Game 2268400

I'm really proud of myself too.

🙂
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 21:46
    I got the second win, he resigned.

Game 2268400

I'm really proud of myself too.

🙂
    I am surprised White resigned. Sure, he's technically lost, but both players were at various points in the game. Always a chance for another turnaround.
  15. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 22:18
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I am surprised White resigned. Sure, he's technically lost, but both players were at various points in the game. Always a chance for another turnaround.
    I don't mean to be rude, but i thought i was ahead from 11- ... Bg5xc1, until the end of the game. . .i was on the back foot sometimes, but always ahead.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree