1. Joined
    23 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 13:08
    Often I see playes here on this site, and in live games (New York parks, Greenwich Village clubs...) play to the bitter end, even where they have no chance to draw let alone win. I consider this an unsportsman like behavior.

What do you think?
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 13:23
    Originally posted by dubnikova
    Often I see playes here on this site, and in live games (New York parks, Greenwich Village clubs...) play to the bitter end, even where they have no chance to draw let alone win. I consider this an unsportsman like behavior.

What do you think?
    In most of cases, yes.
  3. e4
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 14:00
    This subject has often cropped up here.

The general feeling is it's pretty bad form from an experienced player.

But you cannot force your opponent to resign.
    The rules state the game ends on checkmate so some players simply play to the rules.
  4. Joined
    02 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 14:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 14:18
    Bottom line is that the choice is theirs, maybe they see the possibility of a stalemate, timeout etc
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 14:32
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Game in progress, so I can't comment on the game. But if I were in your shoes, and considering the players' ratings, I wouldn't put mccarthyball on ignore for just that one game.
  7. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 14:35
    Then you get those players, that would send silly little messages telling you to resign, during a game. That in itself is poor behaviour. And not only that, send silly icon messages...showing how annoyed they are cos you're not moving in their games.

Its annoying and shows immaturity!
  8. Joined
    08 Sep '07
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 14:52
    Also take into account that there are players that wish to protect their ratings, so resigning/losing at a later point might affect their ratings differently - especially with concurrent games. Not that I agree with playing to keep your rating as high as possible either :-/
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 14:591 edit
    there was this funny long thread about two guys playing for 200 moves or something like that. they were quite worked up about the injustice of it all.

I think the other guy accidentally walked into a mate or a stalemate eventually.

stuff happens. if you can't prove your win, or force the draw, there's usually not much to complain about. it's correspondence chess, the games will last for a long time. suck it up.
  10. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 15:01
    You win a game by checkmating. You should never tell your opponent to resign, and should never expect it of them. If you are not willing to find a checkmate, then you shouldn't win.

Generally speaking, I don't resign until all of my pieces have gone (and even then, would not resign against king and two bishops, or bishop and knight) because I can still fight before that, and after that it's better just to save bother players a little bit of time.
  11. Joined
    18 Dec '07
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 15:11
    the final chance for a loosing site - is a stalemate). Beside of it, sometimes a winning side makes an error that changes the position to the opposite.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 15:13
    I wouldn't resign against anyone except a computer against a bishop and knight. I've heard that even grandmasters mess that one up.
  13. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 15:30
    I have an opponent who is facing an inevitable checkmate in one. Well, he could postpone it for one move by making a meaningless check, but he will be checkmated on the next move. So he hasn't moved in 10 days even though he has been making daily moves in other games. Yes, it is very unsportsman-like, and I consider it to be a deliberate insult. The skull is due to appear in 5 minutes and my finger is itchy to click it.
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 15:32
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I wouldn't resign against anyone except a computer against a bishop and knight. I've heard that even grandmasters mess that one up.
    And even some computers can't do it!
  15. The sky
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 15:36
    An interesting article that is somewhat related to this - a suggestion that a rule should be introduced that games must be played out to the bitter end: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5057

And replies to this (plus a funny anecdote): http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5060

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree