1. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    16 Dec '11 06:15
    Originally posted by iustus
    Q i like your style please keep writing this stuffs ive never thought of any of these things when i play my games
    Mr. iustus (a good latin name!) I would like to start by thanking you for your compliment. Sentiments like yours make it much more fulfilling to share! However I want to express some worry on behalf of your statement regarding thinking during your games. In a correspondence game you could certainly take these sorts of things into account. However at a board this type of consideration isn't overly valuable. My instruction was more for robbie's sake. Showing the power of the Queens bishop over the center when fianchettoed. Black holds the center down not with forceful occupation but instead by posting a "Ghost" on b7. It single handedly haunts whites position. My hope is that my explanations describe the problems a minor piece can present when properly utilized.

As I said, the b7 bishop is akin to a ghost. I don't expect my considerations with regards to time to be cogitated during a flesh and blood sequence. Instead focus on the liquidity of blacks defense! Understand that white can certainly shut down this singular piece. It is no baron of victory. Take the below example - even though black controls e4 well into the middlegame...and creates a great knight post there. White vaporizes this advantage and one of the greatest games ever played ends in a hard faught draw. Its the liquidity of blacks defense that is of value. I hope thats what you take away from my considerations!

2. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    16 Dec '11 06:19
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Maybe you'd consider authoring a rival blog to mister greenpawn34? 😉
    Mr. tomtom! Thank you very much...but I'm no equal to Mr. Greenpawn. I just enjoy the game! But it does tickle me pink to hear that others are enthusiastic about my ramblings!

Q
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '11 09:162 edits
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Mr. tomtom! Thank you very much...but I'm no equal to Mr. Greenpawn. I just enjoy the game! But it does tickle me pink to hear that others are enthusiastic about my ramblings!

Q
    dear great and illustrious Q, you do this measly peasant farmer an honour in this way,
    the Capa game was crystal clear, the annotations shedding light as if a candle had
    been lit in a darkened place and i truly thank you for them, i especially liked Capas
    lack of materialism, how my heart leaped out of its socket, Capa take the skewered
    rook! but Capa was having none of it and gently placed the 'ghost bishop', (perhaps
    you have inadvertently coined a new phrase) back on the long diagonal from whence it
    haunted the centre once more. I think i speak for all the chess enthusiasts Q, insight
    like this is precious and to share it so openly and enthusiastically is reminiscent of the
    great Tarrasch himself - kind regards Robbie.
  4. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    16 Dec '11 09:20

Q
    Hey Q,

no need to write a blog, if that's not your thing. But please keep sharing your experience and example games. Those are the things I read the chess forum for.

On topic: I have difficulties with both bishops. They are always on the wrong place, either inactive or under attack by pawns. I'm interested in fianchetto's, because that's a safe place for a bishop while being able to influence the game. However, mostly the bishop is blocked by pawns in the center (either mine or the opponent's). I like them more in the endgame though.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Dec '11 17:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Why is the Queens bishop such a pain in the A$$
    ALWAYS check your chair for stray chess pieces BEFORE you sit down.
    If you think a QB hurts, try sitting on a K. 😞

My friend that plays the CK has also said the QB is a problematic piece. 😉
    It's the nature of the game. 😉
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 00:261 edit
    Master Robbie - I have been in intense debate with myself as to expressing the worth of your queens bishop. Now I myself prefer its use in the QID. This being an opening I'm familiar with would like to share a classic with you. I'm assuming basic familiarity with the QID and fianchetto systems in general. One of the most dynamic defenses of the Colle syst exf5 31. fxe5 Re7 32. Re3 Qxb2 33. e6 dxe6 34. Rxe6 Kf7 0-1[/pgn]

Q
    White cannot take with c3, or his two central pawns will require to much time to
    defend. His pieces are built in the defence of e4...a square which blacks long term
    hammer cannot be ignored...and deflates the value of his defenders

I cannot see this Q, cxd4 seems the natural move to me, black cannot gang up on the
    d pawn
  7. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 00:542 edits
    White cannot take with c3, or his two central pawns will require to much time to
    defend. His pieces are built in the defence of e4...a square which blacks long term
    hammer cannot be ignored...and deflates the value of his defenders

I cannot see this Q, cxd4 seems the natural move to me, black cannot gang up on the
    d pawn
    Fair enough robbie. Black doesn't need to gang up on the d pawn - its worthless on d4! If anything, white is going to want to play it to d5 soon... White is also in sudden jeopardy of losing his light squared bishop (further weakening e4) if that knight gets to d3!! Black will take control if that pawn leaves c3 (this is actually part of colle theory). Note who controls the c file if white elects to open it completely..

Q
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 01:12
    Fair enough robbie. Black doesn't need to gang up on the d pawn - its worthless on d4! If anything, white is going to want to play it to d5 soon... White is also in sudden jeopardy of losing his light squared bishop (further weakening e4) if that knight gets to d3!! Black will take control if that pawn leaves c3 (this is actually part of colle theory).

[ ...[text shortened]... e6 5. Bd3 c5 6. O-O Nc6 7. c3 Be7 8. e4 cxd4 9. cxd4 Nb4 10. Bb1 Ba6 11. Re1 Rc8 0-1[/pgn]

Q
    this is why i am a grand patzer and your a genius, sigh!
  9. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 01:151 edit
    this is why i am a grand patzer and your a genius, sigh!
    Now now. I won't have you giving up that easy. I'll be writing GP34 to poke and prod you if you delight in quitting on yourself like this (from what I understand you live near one another?). I recommend going over some of the classics that are very well annotated Mr. Robbie.

My understanding is that you're a big Morphy fan...isn't that right?

Q
  10. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 01:271 edit
    The great Paul Morphy... tell me Robbie... what does his opening resemble? 😀

Now that is one of the greatest games ever played - this follow up is in my opinion the most important study for a youngling to encounter on the end of the game. It will teach more about rook endings than you will probably ever learn. Each time I play it, Capa takes my breath away. Watch the cuban work his magic (against my favorite annotater of all time 🙁) Now Robbie...what does the great Tartakower play? This game is well annotated and I don't dare muddle up such great work!

Q
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 01:29
    Now now. I won't have you giving up that easy. I'll be writing GP34 to poke and prod you if you delight in quitting on yourself like this (from what I understand you live near one another?). I recommend going over some of the classics that are very well annotated Mr. Robbie.

My understanding is that you're a big Morphy fan...isn't that right?

Q
    ahh dear Q when you have stared at the 64 squares for as long as I and yet cannot
    unlock the majesties of the board one gets despondent. I live in the West of Scotland,
    Glasgow, GP34 lives in th East, in the capital, Edinburgh, they are roughly fifty miles
    apart, an hours drive on the motorway.

yes i love Morphy, but my favourite is Capa, his chess appears to me to be crystal clear.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 08:07
    Why is it? in the French defence it becomes purely passive, on the white side of the
    Queens gambit its mince, in the Sicilian as black it gets swapped off on e6 , its always
    causing problems, why is that?
    The queens bishop is akin to a wild mustang... you must coax it... and if that doesn't work you must ride it till it is broken... besides, if it is problematic(bad) it is a great piece in my hands because I will trade that sucker for my opponents best piece.
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 02:291 edit
    Chuck Norris NEVER has a bad piece
    ALL of his pieces are BAD
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 04:13
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Chuck Norris NEVER has a bad piece
    ALL of his pieces are BAD
    You can't checkmate Chuck Norris because Chuck Norris' King will roundhouse your a$$.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree