1. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 02:31
    should she buy "200 Brilliant Endgames" by Chernov? Its in a thrift bin for $4. I have a little time to call her back. Is she cool or what? My wife asked if she should buy me a chess book. God I love that woman.
  2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 02:50
    That's nothing. Mine called just tonight to make sure I made Mer take a bath and fed the animals.
  3. e4
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 03:10
    Truth.

On Sinday just gone my wife went to a car boot sale and bought for
    £2.00 a wooden boxed weighted and felted chess set.

Retails about £35.00 new.

No joke.

All the bits a there and it's a beautiful chess set.

She just handed it to me.

"Oh I got you this, don't moan."

Sometimes she or my daughter comes back with a hideous pocket set
    or a beginners book which I gave away on the Corner.

Of course I moaned that she could have picked up a wooden board as well.
    But inside I was glowing.

It was Father's day as well, all I expected was a pair of socks.
  4. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 16:42
    There was a book in our local library some year's ago titled Domination in 2,545 Endgame Studies by M.Kasparyan.I never took it out on loan because it looked too hard work.Anyway,I was once laid up and someone who knows nothing about chess borrowed that book from the library for me.I wasn't impressed it was after all the book I'd looked at countless times in the library and left on the shelf. But,when I got into it it turned out I'd been done a massive favour.I bought my own copy.Just goes to show we don't always know what is good for us it takes someone with no interest in the subject to force something that we had dismissed for so long.We ain't as smart as we like to think we are.
  5. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 22:21
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    should she buy "200 Brilliant Endgames" by Chernov? Its in a thrift bin for $4. I have a little time to call her back. Is she cool or what? My wife asked if she should buy me a chess book. God I love that woman.
    The whole thing is a rouse, don't fall for it pal.........it's all going to end in tears.
  6. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 23:03
    Originally posted by Hells Caretaker
    The whole thing is a rouse, don't fall for it pal.........it's all going to end in tears.
    I am worried about a trap. Is this some elaborate sac that in beyond my horizon? What if I decline the gambit? Has she already got me in the deep end? I keep looking to mate.😏
  7. Joined
    21 Mar '10
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 23:24
    I am worried about a trap. Is this some elaborate sac that in beyond my horizon? What if I decline the gambit? Has she already got me in the deep end? I keep looking to mate.😏
    Dude, it's hopeless and it doesn't matter if you accept the gambit pawn or not! They always win and can do so without even mating you!! 🙄
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 23:37
    Yes .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree