Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 24 May '14 19:45 / 1 edit


    after a long end game with the black pieces the above position ensued, I offered a draw seeing no way of winning.

    Herman987 v robbie carrobie
  2. 24 May '14 20:37
    For positions with just a few pieces, the Nalimov endgame tablebases give the definitive answer:
    http://www.k4it.de/index.php?lang=en&topic=egtb

    In this case, Black wins in at most 16 moves!
    e.g.
  3. 24 May '14 21:14
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    For positions with just a few pieces, the Nalimov endgame tablebases give the definitive answer:
    http://www.k4it.de/index.php?lang=en&topic=egtb

    In this case, Black wins in at most 16 moves!
    e.g.
    [pgn]
    [FEN "8/8/8/5K2/8/2Nnk3/3p4/8 w - - 0 1"]
    [SetUp "1"]

    {--------------
    . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . K . .
    . . . . ...[text shortened]...
    --------------}
    1. Nd1+ Ke2 2. Nc3+ Ke1 3. Ke4 Nc1 4. Ke3 Na2 5. Nxa2 d1=Q 6. Ke4 Qb1+
    [/pgn]
    wow, sometimes it seems that practically its very hard to find a win even with some little superior material and the older one gets the more the end game appeals, its like a fine whisky the endgame, one needs to acquire a taste for it.
  4. 24 May '14 21:27 / 4 edits
    Here I think I set my first deliberate trap, Kc3 inviting a fork on King and rook



    in order for it to work one needs to envision this position here with black to move, I am sure it has a name but forget what it is,



    so giving up rook and pawn for knight and pawn leads to the above, it looks like a total mistake, but its not.


  5. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    24 May '14 21:32 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Here I think I set my first deliberate trap,

    [fen]8/4n1k1/5R2/5pP1/2p2P2/8/3K4/8 w - - 0 58[/fen]

    in order for it to work one needs to envision this position here, I am sure it has a name but forget what it is,

    [fen]8/8/5k2/3K1p2/5P2/8/8/8 b - - 1 61[/fen]

    so giving up rook and pawn for knight and pawn leads to the above, it looks like ...[text shortened]... Kc4d5 Kf6e7 62. Kd5e5 Ke7f7 63. Ke5xf5 Kf7e7 64. Kf5g6 Ke7f8 65. Kg6f6 Kf8g8 66. Kf6e7 1-0[/pgn]
    I'd call that a position where white is so far ahead that he can win in a variety of ways, including that one.
  6. 24 May '14 21:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I'd call that a position where white is so far ahead that he can win in a variety of ways, including that one.
    Ahh my beer drinking friend, a Zen Master always chooses the natural path 😀 Its the art of style!
  7. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    24 May '14 21:42 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Ahh my beer drinking friend, a Zen Master always chooses the natural path 😀 Its the art of style!
    I view it as unnatural to give up a bunch of extra material when keeping it probably leads to a faster win. But that's just me.

    Hmm ... are you sure white wins after 61...Kf7! ?

    May have Zenned yourself out of a win there bro.
  8. 25 May '14 08:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I view it as unnatural to give up a bunch of extra material when keeping it probably leads to a faster win. But that's just me.

    Hmm ... are you sure white wins after 61...Kf7! ?

    May have Zenned yourself out of a win there bro.
    Its the art of style my friend. My move should be featured in Yves Saint Laurent magazine its so stylish. Perhaps you can demonstrate a faster, if a somewhat less beautiful win? Anyone that knows anything about King and pawn endings knows that white is winning.
  9. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    25 May '14 08:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Anyone that knows anything about King and pawn endings knows that white is winning.
    62 ... Kf8 draws. Black waits until White takes the pawn then steps forward with ... Kf7 to take the opposition.

    Your idea was very imaginative, I agree. It just doesn’t quite work.
  10. 25 May '14 09:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    62 ... Kf8 draws. Black waits until White takes the pawn then steps forward with ... Kf7 to take the opposition.

    Your idea was very imaginative, I agree. It just doesn’t quite work.
    My goodness you are correct! ouch, i bow great Jonathan of London, it is always amazing to see such a cunning plan subjected to the rigors of logic and its veracity or otherwise tested.😲
  11. 25 May '14 09:18
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I view it as unnatural to give up a bunch of extra material when keeping it probably leads to a faster win. But that's just me.

    Hmm ... are you sure white wins after 61...Kf7! ?

    May have Zenned yourself out of a win there bro.
    I have been humbled and I thank you for it! 😀
  12. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    25 May '14 10:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I have been humbled and I thank you for it! 😀
    Just to show fate has a sense of humour, after posting that message I popped over to chess cube and in my very next online blitz game I was a pawn up in a k+p ending but couldn’t win for exactly this reason.
  13. 29 May '14 01:13
    Have you studied king and pawn endgames at all? This was very basic stuff.... One wonders how an 1800-1900 rated player could not know this was a draw instantly.
  14. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    29 May '14 03:30
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    Have you studied king and pawn endgames at all? This was very basic stuff.... One wonders how an 1800-1900 rated player could not know this was a draw instantly.
    1800 does not equal 'good at endgames'.
  15. 29 May '14 09:00 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    Have you studied king and pawn endgames at all? This was very basic stuff.... One wonders how an 1800-1900 rated player could not know this was a draw instantly.
    yes I have studied end games, I even gave the position where i thought it was a win and my thought process, i make mistakes like any human being but i refuse to be lectured by a trumped up zombie drooler with no history, no games and a mouth the size of the Clyde tunnel.

    My idea was genius, pure unadulterated creativity and I remain a great artist, while you hide behind the anonymity of mediocrity.