1. Midwest USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 22:32
    Yep, you heard right, never resign. See people, resigning is quitting. It is throwing in the towel when faced with a potential loss. It is LAZY chess behavior and disrespectful to your opponent. I CAME to play, not watch you give up on move 7 because you dropped a rook, you LAZY buffoon.

There is NOTHING to be learned by giving up. Only by playing it out, discovering the CONSEQUENCES of your moves, will you improve.

I have had COUNTLESS games in my 30 year where I have won or drawn games where my OPPONENT had a mate in 5, and likewise lost games where I practically had the win in my hands.

Look at when happened when KRAMNIK played Fritz. For those too lazy to CLICK the link, here's what happened:
    Vladimir Kramnik played another wonderfully profound game, piling the pressure on Deep Fritz on the black side of a Queen's Gambit Accepted, and taking the computer to the edge of DEFEAT. As usual the computer defended tenaciously and by move 34 Fritz had equalised and the game was clearly DRAWN. And then Kramnik overlooked mate in one!

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3509

Bottom line, ANY game can be won, lost or drawn within the SPAN of 1 move.
  2. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 22:34
    I thought you never lost
  3. Midwest USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 22:38
    My unmateability PERTAINS only to internet chess (not on this site) and a few USCF events where I used a wireless earpiece, camera, and Fritz.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 22:44
    you're STILL just as NOOB as with your LAST account. and NOT very difficult to SPOT. why not just GET some CHESS study under your BELT while you're at IT? so instead of THESE same old LIGHTWEIGHT rants you could actually SAY something of USE? as you CERTAINLY do not lack the ENERGY.

just a THOUGHT...
  5. Midwest USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 22:49
    PLEASE just respond to the post. I didn't come HERE to listen to people rip on me.

I am somewhat like BOBBY Fischer was, bored and disenchanted with chess. I have retired from all play over a year ago.

Rest assured, I have so many MOVES under my belt it'd make your head swim.

Now I JUST like to impart my extensive knowledge to the masses in hopes that you all will come away with something and better yourselves.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:03
    Originally posted by teacher1
    PLEASE just respond to the post. I didn't come HERE to listen to people rip on me.

I am somewhat like BOBBY Fischer was, bored and disenchanted with chess. I have retired from all play over a year ago.

Rest assured, I have so many MOVES under my belt it'd make your head swim.

Now I JUST like to impart my extensive knowledge to the masses in hopes that you all will come away with something and better yourselves.
    I've seen these rants of yours on and off for a few year. it's obvious from the things you write that you're a rank beginner. saying you aren't isn't ever gonna change that, only studying chess will.

you can say you know your chess a million times, but it won't matter because the second you say something about chess EVERYBODY sees instantly that you know nothing. understanding can't be faked.
  7. Midwest USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:15
    What riles me up is the SORE winner. You all know the guy (rarely a female) who gets TICKED off that you are not resigning because he has CLEARLY won. These sore "winners" are ruining the great game of chess.

Arrogant, disrespectful behavior has no room in chess. If you are SOOO confident you have the game won, then DELIVER THE MATE!!! Do I make myself clear, all you sore "winners" out there? Is your time THAT valuable that you just can't bring yourself to make 5 more moves?

See, it is the person whining about the non-resigners who is AFRAID. They are not confident in their abilities to checkmate their opponent and FEAR blundering away a win to a draw or even a loss. They put up a STINK and want the win presented to them on a silver platter. I can't put into words how I LOATHE these people. In fact, those types of people are the MAIN reason I turned to computer-assisted chess so long ago.

WHINERS and RESIGNERS go HOME!!
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:16
    Yep, you heard right, never resign. See people, resigning is quitting. It is throwing in the towel when faced with a potential loss. It is LAZY chess behavior and disrespectful to your opponent. I CAME to play, not watch you give up on move 7 because you dropped a rook, you LAZY buffoon.

There is NOTHING to be learned by giving up. Only by playing it out ...[text shortened]... asp?newsid=3509

Bottom line, ANY game can be won, lost or drawn within the SPAN of 1 move.
    But I do win the majority of my games even though I resign some of them.
  9. Midwest USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:25
    The FACT that you win a majority of games says you are a DECENT player.

I'd wager that of all the games you resigned and therefore LOST, a small percentage would have resulted in a win or draw had you played them out. That means your RATING would have been higher than what it is now.

See my POINT?
  10. e4
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:52

I'd wager that of all the games you resigned and therefore LOST, a small percentage would have resulted in a win or draw had you played them out. That means your RATING would have been higher than what it is now.

See my POINT?
    By that logic he should have lost or drawn a small percentage
    of the games where is opponent resigned.

That means things have balanced out - so his rating is most likely correct.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:55
    no. it only means you're playing against much weaker players than you.
  12. Midwest USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 00:181 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    By that logic he should have lost or drawn a small percentage
    of the games where is opponent resigned.

That means things have balanced out - so his rating is most likely correct.
    I see where YOU are coming from.... Assuming NO ONE ever resigned. But we are NOT talking about the behavior of his opponents. Only his. BOTH of their behaviors are independent of one another. There will always be resigners, to the NON-resigners' benefit.

Assume he played 1000 games. Assume he won 800, lost or RESIGNED 50 and drew 150. That nets him 875 points.

Now. let's assume of the 50 lost or resigned GAMES, 20 were resigned. As our subject is a decent player, I assert that had he played on, 2 of the 20 games he resigned would have ended with either a WIN or draw. 10% is a fair number.

So, let's assume the worst...2 DRAWS. His record now looks like this:
    800 won, 48 lost, 152 drew. That nets him 876 POINTS.

One of the reasons I have the USCF rating that I do is solely because I never resign, and I BANK on lazy people resigning to me when the going gets a little TOUGH for them.
  13. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 00:24
    Like I said a year or so ago, you've obviously never played OTB. In OTB, the prospect of being able to eat and having a break before your next game (which you will then play far, far better) immensely outweighs the tiny percentage that someone over 1200 up a queen will stalemate you.
  14. e4
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 00:51
    So let me get this right.

"Assume he played 1000 games. Assume he won 800, lost or
    RESIGNED 50 and drew 150. That nets him 875 points. "

OK got that bit.

"So, let's assume the worst...2 DRAWS. His record now looks like this:
    800 won, 48 lost, 152 drew. That nets him 876 POINTS. "

I think I've got now.

This whole thread is designed to get Swiss Gambit one extra grading point.

But.... Sorry for asking these question. I'm still not sure.

If SG had played on in all of the games he lost and drew then he would
    not have been able to play as many games as he has.

He finishes one game and starts another.

So by actually resignig his lost games and agreeing to draws in dead positions
    he has managed to play more games and therefore score more wins.

I'm thinking if he chased these 48 lost games that is 48 games he would never
    have played so that is 48 games he would never have won.

So your method gains SG one grading point.

SG's method is actually gaining him 48 grading points.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 01:35

See my POINT?
    Grading points aren't the most important thing for me anymore.

Worse is having to play on in a miserably lost game with no chance of even sliming a win.

I play mainly just for fun, and laboring on in a crappy position doesn't fit the bill.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree