1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 01:37
    Originally posted by wormwood
    no. it only means you're playing against much weaker players than you.
    Correct. I only like fast time contols, and I take 1/7 tourneys primarly. I'm usually one of the highest rated in those.
  2. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 01:50
    Hey- To POST in THIS thread, you have to ADD pointless CAPS at least once every sentence at PARTS where they don't make any sense. I mean SERIOUSLY, don't you know it make YOU look cool? The CHICKS dig it.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 02:32
    No one EVER won a game by RESIGNING!!
  4. Joined
    22 Sep '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 09:20
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    But that doesn't mean someone hasn't won a game and resigned 🙂
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 10:56
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    ...But many have wasted much time by not resigning.
  6. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 17:46
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    And, based on the OP, they also managed to learn nothing from the experience.
  7. Midwest USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 17:50
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Assuming the GAME is lost means there may be AT THE MOST, 8 more moves.

If there are more than 8 moves (a PURELY arbitrary number) then the game is far from OVER.

By playing on, by sticking IT out and wasting all your valuable time that it takes to make a puny 8 moves, the time you "waste" is made up by the KNOWLEDGE you gain.

As you strive to stay alive, you are gaining IMMEASURABLE defensive skills. You are learning how to frustrate your opponent who JUST can't seem to deliver a mate. Frustration = blunders. TRUST me on that one.

The skills you learn by being down a queen and minor piece will COME into play the next game, and EVERY game thereafter.

Play on and LEARN.
  8. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 17:54
    frustration = black eye

Trust ME on THAT one.

toet.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 18:05
    Originally posted by teacher1

If there are more than 8 moves (a PURELY arbitrary number) then the game is far from OVER.

By playing on, by sticking IT out and wasting all your valuable time that it takes to make a puny 8 moves, the time you "waste" is made up by the KNOWLEDGE you gain.

As you strive to sta ...[text shortened]... or piece will COME into play the next game, and EVERY game thereafter.

Play on and LEARN.
    Sorry, I don't really have any desire to purchase a seat to Sideshow Bob's Traveling Circus. You can try, but you simply won't be successful at sucking me into your little world of illogic.

I was just responding to ChessPraxis. At least he shows a little class - lobbing an occasional one-liner at the opportune moment. 🙂
  10. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 19:353 edits

As you strive to sta or piece will COME into play the next game, and EVERY game thereafter.

Play on and LEARN.
    TRUE some people resign early, BUT saying resigning IS always A bad decision is standard beginner ATTITUDE. There's nothing wrong with IT and at your LEVEL you WILL learn from continuing TO play in the LOST game. That's BECAUSE you DON'T yet understand WHY the position is LOSING and you WILL learn gradually when YOU GET FINISHED OFF by your opponents. WHEN you'll reach a certain level you'll understand why people resign. NOT resigning IN some SiTuAtIoNs is a loss of your own time and energy, while suffering to learn NOTHING. MORE advanced opponents will MOST LIKELY never STALEMATE YOU IN A WINNING Q+K VS K ENDING BECAUSE THEY KNOW that's the only way that they aren't going to win. This means that we can for example resign lost endgames where we can't stop promotion. YOU see, SOME PLAYERS HAVE ALREADY learned WHAT there IS to LEARN about THOSE LOST POSITIONS.

IM NeW WITH this CaPsLoCkIng too many words thing, am I DOING it well or IS IT ANNOYING AS HELL?
  11. Midwest USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 23:41
    please, PEOPLE, if you are upset at my playing on in a "lost" game, then just DELIVER THE MATE!!

Do I make MYSELF Clear?

If the game is lost (as I said before) there can't be too many moves left. Are you all so confident in your abilities as to see a lost game that is 10 or 12 or more moves away? DANG, there must be a heck of a LOT of super GMs here.

Maybe I should adopt the attitude: Winners never quit and quitters nev---
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 00:45
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Hey- To POST in THIS thread, you have to ADD pointless CAPS at least once every sentence at PARTS where they don't make any sense. I mean SERIOUSLY, don't you know it make YOU look cool? The CHICKS dig it.
    I thought this was a waste of a thread until I saw CHICKS in bold letters. Thread redeemed!
  13. Philadelphia
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 03:00
    Nobody ever won a game by REDECORATING but they did make their HOUSE look NICER.
  14. Joined
    31 Mar '10
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 04:01
    If the game is lost (as I said before) there can't be too many moves left. Are you all so confident in your abilities as to see a lost game that is 10 or 12 or more moves away? DANG, there must be a heck of a LOT of super GMs here.
    It doesn't take a gm to sometimes know you have a losing pawn ending that is hopeless but could take 20+ moves to mate.
  15. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 04:47
    in some cases YOU HAVE to play on. it is A fundaMENTAL error if you don't give it your all. you might not be a PRO but it isn't a BLEMish on your record to keep going!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree