1. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 04:542 edits
    Often times one plays on just to show stubborn nature. I often resign at the first sign of a loss, but don't you THINK that in THIS lifetime, life is too short for a mere demonstration of tenacity. The OP TEACHER1 seems like an upright community member. So listen toi the GUY. His words ring the voice of truth. IS chess just A game, or is it a way of life? [b]NUTJOB
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 21:061 edit
    The WHOLE point of chess IS to have FUN. If playing out losing POSITIONS is not fun, then WHY would you WANT to play THEM? But if playing a OUT losing position IS fun, and you like the PROSPECT of getting an UNLIKELY win by seeing your OPPONENT blunder away an EASY mate, then by ALL means, play out all your LOSING positons. And if eking out EVERY last possible RATING point is the ultimate reason YOU play CHESS, then by all means, EKE away!! To each HIS own.

The one thing i TRULY do not get - how exactly DOES capitalizing random WORDS add anything pleasurable TO the joys of POSTING here in the forums?
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 00:33
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    in some cases YOU HAVE to play on. it is A fundaMENTAL error if you don't give it your all. you might not be a PRO but it isn't a BLEMish on your record to keep going!
    Rec'd! Now that's entertainment!
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 02:32
    It occurred to me that Las Vegas is proof of the error of this statement, although I am certain they would pay to promote it!
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 05:35
    Originally posted by teacher1
    Winners never QUIT and quitters never WIN. (NEVER Resign)
    I quit once. I lost.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 16:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I quit once. I lost.
    You know who also never wins? Those who get checkmated. 😵

And those who stalemate their opponent.

And those who accept or claim draws.

NEVER do any of those things if you want to WIN.
  7. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 16:281 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You know who also never wins? Those who get checkmated. 😵

And those who stalemate their opponent.

And those who accept or claim draws.

NEVER do any of those things if you want to WIN.
    Good point there - I'd say if you really want to win you should just play out the bare kings for thousands of moves hoping for your opponents flag to fall. These guys sure knew what they were do; certainly not quitters: Game 5003418

I thought white was getting close to a winning position when he gained the opposition around move 230, but he squandered his edge away in the end unfortunately.
  8. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 17:571 edit
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Good point there - I'd say if you really want to win you should just play out the bare kings for thousands of moves hoping for your opponents flag to fall. These guys sure knew what they were do; certainly not quitters: Game 5003418

I thought white was getting close to a winning position when he gained the opposition around move 230, but he squandered his edge away in the end unfortunately.
    Yeah! Hold your finger on the arrow key and watch the little guys dance around the board! You'll learn so much!

Ha! You can learn just as much by going backwards!
  9. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 18:06

Now who is chasing who is the question?
  10. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 13:30

Repeat of my post of 08 Jun '10 17:45 in Thread No. 130796 'record for moves in a single game.'

In fact this game really ended at move 54, since the "Laws of Chess, Article 5: The completion of the game, section 2b." reads : -
    "The game is drawn when a position has arisen in which neither player can checkmate the opponent’s king with any series of legal moves. The game is said to end in a ‘dead position’. This immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing the position was legal."
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 13:511 edit
    Actually it seems that it was a draw from move 54. But, according to the RHP rules, it is actually possible to win this game.
    (1) If the opponent resign. Perhaps as a part of a deal. "I win this and I let you win another."
    (2) The opponent is short of time, and/or is sloppy with his tame manegement. "Just wating for the Skull to turn up!"

However, this game should ignite a discussed in the light of an auto-draw rule, according to the FIDE rules.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 15:112 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Actually it seems that it was a draw from move 54. But, according to the RHP rules, it is actually possible to win this game.
    (1) If the opponent resign. Perhaps as a part of a deal. "I win this and I let you win another."
    (2) The opponent is short of time, and/or is sloppy with his tame manegement. "Just wating for the Skull to turn up!"

However, th ...[text shortened]... me should ignite a discussed in the light of an auto-draw rule, according to the FIDE rules.
    being that the name of the tournament was "beat the skull" - with 1 day per move, and no apparent timebank - it's clear what each player was hoping for.
  13. Midwest USA
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 21:58
    TOO many of you are missing the point. PLEASE stay on topic!!!

This is about the negative aspects of throwing in the towel and giving your opponent a win on a silver platter and the POSITIVES of sticking in out and fighting to the death.
  14. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 22:02
    For anyone over 1600 or so there are no POSITIVES, so I think you're the one who doesn't get the point.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 00:08
    Originally posted by teacher1
    TOO many of you are missing the point. PLEASE stay on topic!!!

This is about the negative aspects of throwing in the towel and giving your opponent a win on a silver platter and the POSITIVES of sticking in out and fighting to the death.
    Oh, shut up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree