1. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 23:30
    Originally posted by grit
    Thanks wormwood. I have The First Book of Morphy but have not yet worked with it. And the tactics puzzles you refer to, are the mate in ones on Chess Tempo OK?

I don't know what my guru at the Bates Motel will say about any of this. Have not heard anything from him.

I think I will enjoy Morphy, don't you?

Grit
    I'll go ahead and answer that even though it wasnt directed at me.

Heisman recommends only spending 25% of your time on mating tactics. 75% should be on non-mating tactics specifically pins and forks. Those are the most frequent and will have the biggest impact on your games. Also, you need to repeat the same problems multiple times to develop pattern recognition.

I dont have that specific Morphy book but I do know studying Morphy is never bad. You will probably learn more from his games than any other player. And if you dont enjoy Morphy's games I would question if you enjoy chess.

And I'm just curious Grit, is this the only site you play on or do you play somewhere else? Do you play blitz ?
  2. Joined
    24 Jun '10
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 02:57
    I just wanted to mention something briefly that no one else has. Take your time in making a move. Or, as the Russians tell their students, "sit on your hands". That was something I personally had a lot of trouble with. I drilled tactics and went over some Morphy games as many people in this thread have suggested, but it really did me no good until I developed the discipline to really make sure the move I was making wasn't a blunder. It's not something I'm embarassed to admit because I see it all the time. Particularly in the opening and in tense, complicated positions, it's simply human nature to behave impulsively. This site in particular has helped me enormously in that department as it's advantageous to maybe consider a move for 10 minutes, wait a day, look at the position for another 10 minutes, and then make a move. Just another suggestion.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 10:26
    Originally posted by savage4731
    I'll go ahead and answer that even though it wasnt directed at me.

Heisman recommends only spending 25% of your time on mating tactics. 75% should be on non-mating tactics specifically pins and forks. Those are the most frequent and will have the biggest impact on your games. Also, you need to repeat the same problems multiple times to develop pattern ...[text shortened]... us Grit, is this the only site you play on or do you play somewhere else? Do you play blitz ?
    To answer your two questions No I don't play blitz (never have) and yes I do play on another site.

You mentioned earlier that you no longer play on this site.

I love this forum though. Very lively!

Grit
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 10:57
    Please tell where Dan Heisman talks about mates in one should only be 1/4th of your tactic training time. Is it in his Novice Nook Columns? It makes perfect sense .

Grit
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 11:08
    Please tell where Dan Heisman talks about mates in one should only be 1/4th of your tactic training time. Is it in his Novice Nook Columns? It makes perfect sense .

Grit
    In his discussion of tactics sets near the bottom of this page:

http://danheisman.home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Events_Books/General_Book_Guide.htm
  6. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 11:282 edits

Grit
    Yes, I'm positive thats where I read it but it might take a while to find which one.

Edit: Mad Rook beat me to it.
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 11:521 edit
    To answer your two questions No I don't play blitz (never have) and yes I do play on another site.

Grit
    Blitz is good for reinforcing the tactics you're learning. If you play 6 games a month here thats only 72 games a year. You could knock out 72 games in one sitting playing blitz. Thats a years experience in one day. Slow games are important too but it just looks to me like you need some practice more than anything else- put everything you're learning into practice. My first couple of years playing I played literally tens of thousands of games. It helped me a lot.

No I dont really play much correspondence type chess anymore. Lately it seems like I always time out if I do. I had forgotten I played six games earlier this year in an attempt to get my rating somewhere near where its supposed to be but something came up and I think I timed out about half of them. Other than that you have to go back to 08 since the last time I played with any regularity. I still play a ton of blitz online though and at my local club and against the computer and occasionally in tournaments. Mostly I just come here for the forums now.
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 12:24
    Yes, I'm positive thats where I read it but it might take a while to find which one.

Edit: Mad Rook beat me to it.
    It's also mentioned in his NN titled "The Four Homeworks", page 4:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman68.pdf

Also, there's a good discussion of the issue in his NN titled "Tactical Sets and Goals", although the actual numbers aren't mentioned (pages 3 and 4):

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman109.pdf
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 13:14
    The only thing I have ever learned from blitz is to complicate things when you are losing. 🙂
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 13:191 edit

Grit
    Hi Grit,

How's your Bates Motel work going? (just curious)

btw, you can now brag that you're getting chess instruction from the Scottish chess player of the year. 🙂
  11. Joined
    13 Jul '10
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 16:01
    Queens are like both rooks and bishops and function best when near the center. Actually, all pieces function best near the center which is why its so important to control it.
    Actually, rooks are the piece that this might apply least of all to. That is, notice that on an empty board, the Rook has the same number of possible moves (14) regardless of where you place it.

Of course, notwithstanding this, it's often beneficial to centralize Rooks because the central files are more likely to be open, and because this way the Rooks can influence central squares which are generally important for non-Rook-related reasons.
  12. e4
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:53
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Hi Grit,

How's your Bates Motel work going? (just curious)

btw, you can now brag that you're getting chess instruction from the Scottish chess player of the year. 🙂
    No one from the Motel will tell what goes on in there.

They all swear the oath of secrecy.

Not given them as much 1 to 1 as I would like due to other things
    but if they pick up just one thing that enables them to win a game
    from something I have shown them. Then I'm happy.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by DivGradCurl
    ...it really did me no good until I developed the discipline to really make sure the move I was making wasn't a blunder. It's not something I'm embarassed to admit because I see it all the time. ...
    these are the sort of things EVERYBODY goes through on their way to get better, the grits, nabla-fans and kasparovs alike. even the mythical capablanca who's often claimed to practically walk on water and shoot lasers from his eyes, straight from his cradle.

show me a strong player who never paid his dues to the gods of blood, sweat & elbow grease, and I'll show you a big fat liar. 🙂
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 09:37
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    No one from the Motel will tell what goes on in there.

They all swear the oath of secrecy.
    To tell the truth, I didn't really need to know the details - I was mainly just interested whether grit had actually signed up - He had expressed some initial hesitation, and I was hoping that he hadn't backed out of the idea.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 09:51
    No, I haven 't backed out! I an there.

Grit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree