world cup

world cup

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Rural Ontario

Moves
04 Dec 07
1 edit

So who is everyone's favorite?

Personally I'm rooting for Magnus...world champion by 19! I can feel it!

KM

Moves
04 Dec 07

Originally posted by ericmittens

For sure has the best most ahead of him 🙂

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
04 Dec 07

do you mean world open?

e

Rural Ontario

Moves
04 Dec 07
1 edit

Nope, the world cup!

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4300

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
04 Dec 07

I have a book of his games which I really enjoyed! And the wife is Norwegian, so double reason to cheer the young 'un on. I just hope his early style, being willing to sac a piece for initiative is not completely gone, thanks to the big guns beating him (Anand in particular). Then again I always love the romantic in chess, the unsound but complicated that wins is more interesting than the sound and boring.

e

Rural Ontario

Moves
04 Dec 07

Magnus beats Adams to advance to the quarterfinals!

What would be really interesting is if Cheperinov were to win it all...and then play Topalov. Some serious conflict of interest there.

e

Rural Ontario

Moves
12 Dec 07

So its Kamsky and Shirov in the finals. Any predictions?

Personally I would love to see a Topalov - Shirov match. Some wild chess in store.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
12 Dec 07

I think topalov shirov would be fun too. The only thing is, both players who have made it to the finals are a little unpredictable in their performance - Kamsky is the more solid of the two but he can have very bad days himself.

F
Mad scientist

Québec

Moves
12 Dec 07
1 edit

I just hope Kramnik will get back the title in the end, so I don't really care who win this, as long as they lose to the winner of the Anand-Kramnik match 🙂

It's just that I like his trademark positional (and subtle) style, even though i'm just starting to understand it...

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
12 Dec 07

It might be ok, but try being on the end of a positional squeeze player - it is the worst feeling in the world to have no control over the position right from the opening.

e

Rural Ontario

Moves
12 Dec 07

Kramnik never lost the title IMO 😛

But thats another thread altogether.

Anyway, once Kramnik wipes the floor with Anand I hope to see a rematch between him and Shirov. Shirov got the better of him 10 years ago but Kramnik has improved since then and Shirov really hasn't.

g

Moves
12 Dec 07

Kramnik never lost the title IMO 😛
Anyway, once Kramnik wipes the floor with Anand...
Kramnik didn't exactly "wipe the floor" with either Leko or Topalov, so what makes you think that he will "wipe the floor" with Anand? In fact, his match with Leko was a TIE, and I think that Anand is a better player than Leko.

g

Moves
13 Dec 07

According to www.chessgames.com, Anand has played Kramnik 122 times, with Anand winning 18 games and Kramnik winning 15 times. Kramnik has won their last three decisive games, though.

e

Rural Ontario

Moves
13 Dec 07

"wipe the floor" may have been a little strong...😛

Still, I'm looking forward to a Kramnik victory and a subsequent rematch with Shirov (whom I'm hoping will beat both Kamsky and Topalov).

Anyway, Kamsky - Shirov should be an interesting contrast in styles.

v

Moves
13 Dec 07

Kamsky - Shirov and Topalov - any will be interesting games...I doubt that Kramnik - Anand will be very interesting...

by the way, I do not think that Kramnik can wipe the floor with any player...when he has +2 he will probably draw all the rest....