1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 02:16
    Hello- I was wondering, could some of you please tell me where you play your RHP tournament games, and where you keep your reference/study material. i.e. Do you play at a coffee house on your notebook PC? At home on your kitchen table? In the Pub on your Kindle? also- Do you keep your chess literature/database in books? On computer disc? Thumb drive? Correspondence players almost never actually see each other and I've always wondered this. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank You 🙂
  2. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 03:24
    Originally posted by bill718
    Hello- I was wondering, could some of you please tell me where you play your RHP tournament games, and where you keep your reference/study material. i.e. Do you play at a coffee house on your notebook PC? At home on your kitchen table? In the Pub on your Kindle? also- Do you keep your chess literature/database in books? On computer disc? Thumb drive? Corresp ...[text shortened]... ly see each other and I've always wondered this. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank You 🙂
    Hi - good thread, Bill.
    For me, catching up on moves here has become part of a daily routine at home. Usually a few moves after brekky - some early-morning brain training if you will. I'll take another look late in the evening too. If I can't come up with a decent move at the time though, I won't labour on it and I'll take another look later.
    Alas I have no reference/study material at all - and so my errors are all my own! I use the 'analyse board' feature a lot though, but this is no different to correspondence players pushing pieces around a board before committing to a move.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 22:38
    Originally posted by bill718
    Hello- I was wondering, could some of you please tell me where you play your RHP tournament games, and where you keep your reference/study material. i.e. Do you play at a coffee house on your notebook PC? At home on your kitchen table? In the Pub on your Kindle? also- Do you keep your chess literature/database in books? On computer disc? Thumb drive? Corresp ...[text shortened]... ly see each other and I've always wondered this. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank You 🙂
    Always at home on a pc and always 7:7 timescale or longer.
    Ive found that this is the best option for me as I can have more games on the go without having to worry about time pressure if I miss a few days.
    I've never lost a game by timeout.
    I don't try to clear my outstanding games at every session but only play until I feel I've had enough.
    I always play "green dot" games first so I may play a dozen or more moves in a couple of games in a session and leave all the others alone.
  4. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 20:21
    I play from my tablet, this is windows-8, I have my books in the tablet too, but I never read them, if I find a new opening, Google is the best friend.
    -
    and in the same tablet is Arena,
    -
    I can play from many places in this way. Coffey shop, home, train station.... from everywhere a wi-fi connection is available.
    -
    even better, rhp is just one of the sites that i use to play chess
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 02:40
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    I play from my tablet, this is windows-8, I have my books in the tablet too, but I never read them, if I find a new opening, Google is the best friend.
    -
    and in the same tablet is Arena,
    -
    I can play from many places in this way. Coffey shop, home, train station.... from everywhere a wi-fi connection is available.
    -
    even better, rhp is just one of the sites that i use to play chess
    Thank you for the input everyone. This was pretty interesting.
  6. Subscriberflyingcod
    Berg Katze
    The Edge of Sanity
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 21:16
    Phone mostly, don't get a decent 4G signal until I get closer to Manchester so my tram ride is chess time. 8D

fc
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 19:211 edit
    Hi Bill,

I have an extra bedroom/library where most of my chess books reside along with my desktop computer, and I do the serious work on my games there.

My kitchen table gets a workout for middlegames, because I like to look at a board once we get past the opening formalities.

Most of the time I start with a book, and use chessbase as my update checker.

I work on my games in small batches (beyond the opening), and I either enter the moves on RHP there, or sometimes I will just take my list of moves and enter them all at once via laptop while I am watching TV.

I also use Greenpawn34's suggestion for blunder reduction by keeping the now infamous post it note on my laptop that reminds me to look for loose pieces and check all checks. It doesn't help me play good moves, but it dramatically reduces really bad ones.

Opening moves can be played quickly, and often endgames will follow a logical string and just need to be checked, but middlegames can be time sponges, so I try to space my work and responses so that I don't have too many middlegames going on at once.
  8. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 21:41
    I play on my PC in my living room. I use 365chess.com for opening reference, the great thing about that site is that it gives you dozens of sample games when you near the end of book variations. I've come across some real gems, the ideas I pick up and implement into my own games are invaluable.

My games are listed with recently moved at the top and older games at the bottom. I move fairly quickly in the openings and in games which are clearly won. Otherwise I click open a game and analyze multiple times throughout the week without making a move. This is because I am displeased with every move, no matter how much I look they all seem weak. I do this until the red clock appears indicating I have less than 24 hours to move, then I force myself to make one. I usually settle on moves which look OK, not damaging my own position is priority #1.

Pessimism is the ultimate blunder checker.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree