Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Wibble Wobble
    Action barbie
    05 Jan '06 17:52 / 1 edit
    I want to see what other people think like (in chess!!!) and how they would organise - eg - the notebook.

    I list all my +/- and his =/-. Then i make a plan for each of us and write my conclusion at the bottom

    Please post your notebook type notes, from previous games, games you are playing, or a position you just made up. Here is a notebook I have used. (I didnt know I had offered a draw... ) Game 1693156



    "W+ Open h file, sup min pcs, suport pnt on d5+f5

    W- B outside Pchain

    Wplan Play for Nf5 after 0-0-0,Rdf1,f4

    B+ Sup knight

    B- No files,hole on f5, bad bishop

    Bplan d5 break after 0-0-0,c6


    Make use of the open f+h files and plant a knt on f5"
  2. Standard member Wibble Wobble
    Action barbie
    05 Jan '06 17:56 / 1 edit
    Ignore this post
  3. 05 Jan '06 20:55
    I like what your doing. It very hard to stick with it but its great. Here's one which might help you if you can stick with it.

    After each move you make except opening, Write down the variation you think the game will follow and who you think is winning moving the pieces in your head. Then after the game, check it with your computer. It helps you see further and evaluate better.

    I tried it for one game but then dropped the idea. To much work.

    Ex: I'm black

    1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Bb5 a6
    4.Bxc6 dxc6
    5.0-0 Qd6
    6.d4

    Now i'm starting this thing.

    6...exd4 (7.Nxd4 c5 8.Nf3 Qxd1 9.Rxd1 =)

    7.Qxd4

    7...Qxd4 (8.Nxd4 c5 9.Nf3 Be6 =)

    etc...
  4. 05 Jan '06 21:05
    For planning I find I'm a little more verbose, because I want to capture the rationale of my move at the time. For example, this was the last comment from one of my previous games:

    "
    1...Nh5

    threatens Nf4. Forces weakness in kingside pawn formation with g2 pawn thrust."

    If I'm just trying to capture anticipated variations so that I don't make a move too hastily I write down something like this...

    "
    1. axb4 a3
    2. Kd4 a2
    3. Nb3"

    Nothing special. I do wish there were a way to annotate each move, because otherwise I have to make the moves in another program and annotate them that way; I'd prefer to play the full game in RHP and then just export the PGN with the annotations.
  5. Standard member pythagoras
    The mathlete.
    05 Jan '06 21:40
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I like what your doing. It very hard to stick with it but its great. Here's one which might help you if you can stick with it.

    After each move you make except opening, Write down the variation you think the game will follow and who you think is winning moving the pieces in your head. Then after the game, check it with your computer. It helps you see furthe ...[text shortened]... .exd4 (7.Nxd4 c5 8.Nf3 Qxd1 9.Rxd1 =)

    7.Qxd4

    7...Qxd4 (8.Nxd4 c5 9.Nf3 Be6 =)

    etc...
    I do what you do: make an algebraic notation of my coming move possibilities.
    eg:
    1. e4
    2. Nf3
    etc.
  6. 05 Jan '06 21:51
    I got that of a GM website for how to get better. The point of doing it the way I wrote is:

    It helps you see further. The further you can write the variation the more you improve your ability to see X number of moves ahead.

    The evaluation after the positions teachs you to analyse the position better and who's winning.

    Checking with a computer after picks up your mistakes. You might be thinking white was winning or it was = when really black is crushing you. Also, there might be stronger moves which you missed in your variations.
  7. 05 Jan '06 21:52
    I thought about writing verbal notes like that also, but the Notebook space is very limited.
  8. 05 Jan '06 22:12
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I thought about writing verbal notes like that also, but the Notebook space is very limited.
    Yes, the notebook space is very limiting. when games get complex, I set them up in chessbase, but usually I analyze and leave myself variations or shorthand notes.
  9. 05 Jan '06 22:14
    I stopped writing them. I set up the position on a real board, play it out and then move.
  10. 06 Jan '06 04:52
    I wrote stopping them. I use a magnetic board while playing correspondence and using databaeses is not cheating. Knights are better in closed positions, i avoid moving the pawns in front of a castled king
  11. 06 Jan '06 08:41
    Originally posted by pretzel
    Knights are better in closed positions, i avoid moving the pawns in front of a castled king
    What does that have to do with anything?
  12. 06 Jan '06 16:35
    Originally posted by RahimK
    What does that have to do with anything?
    and what does 'I write stopping them' mean? Personally with CC, just drop it into Chessbase and I'm fine. For games on this site, the analyze board feature is good. If I cant fit all my notes in the notebook, then I don't save them all.
  13. 06 Jan '06 16:59
    I wanted to be a part of it.
  14. 06 Jan '06 18:02 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Wibble Wobble
    I want to see what other people think like (in chess!!!) and how they would organise - eg - the notebook.

    I list all my +/- and his =/-. Then i make a plan for each of us and write my conclusion at the bottom

    Please post your notebook type notes, from previous games, games you are playing, or a position you just made up. Here is a notebook I have
    Bplan d5 break after 0-0-0,c6


    Make use of the open f+h files and plant a knt on f5"
    [/b]
    what's wrong with my plan?
    win a pawn by Bxg5
    (instead of castling)
  15. Standard member Wibble Wobble
    Action barbie
    06 Jan '06 19:41
    Originally posted by Testrider
    what's wrong with my plan?
    win a pawn by Bxg5
    (instead of castling)
    Everything

    It wins a pawn and is a completely crap move. Why? It opens up ther g file for HIS rooks to attack YOUR *WEAK* pawns. So taking the pawn is stupid. Pawns dont mean anything, plans do