Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    21 Jan '18 23:19 / 2 edits
    .. that start with I (that's i for iris). I've been told there are 20, but only 15 are recognisable words.

    1. ice
    2. ink
  2. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    22 Jan '18 00:43
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    .. that start with I (that's i for iris). I've been told there are 20, but only 15 are recognisable words.

    1. ice
    2. ink
    3. ire
    4. irk
    5. ill
    6. ivy
  3. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    22 Jan '18 00:44 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    3. ire
    4. irk
    5. ill
    6. ivy
    7. ion
    8. inn
    9. imp
  4. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    22 Jan '18 00:58
    Ira is a persons name... does this count?
  5. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    22 Jan '18 02:39
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    7. ion
    8. inn
    9. imp
    10. ilk
    11. its
    12. icy
    13. ick
    14. ifs
    15. ids
  6. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    22 Jan '18 02:49
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    10. ilk
    11. its
    12. icy
    13. ick
    14. ifs
    15. ids
    16. ism
    17. iff
    18. ins
  7. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    22 Jan '18 04:32 / 1 edit
    Ira shouldn't, and I have my doubts about iff too - isn't it only an acronym or a name? I wouldn't have rated ick as a word, but the slang dictionary approves it.
  8. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    22 Jan '18 05:07
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    Ira shouldn't, and I have my doubts about iff too - isn't it only an acronym or a name? I wouldn't have rated ick as a word, but the slang dictionary approves it.
    Both ick and iff are listed as words in the American Heritage Dictionary, among others.
    Ick is used "to express horror, disgust, or repugnance" and iff is a conjunction in math meaning "if and only if."
  9. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    27 Jan '18 07:02
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    .. that start with I (that's i for iris). I've been told there are 20, but only 15 are recognisable words.

    1. ice
    2. ink
    ich

    this used to be allowed in English Scrabble (when Chambers was official dictionary)