Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    20 Jun '14 05:16
    how many numbers can be created using four 4's in combination with any mathematical symbol beginning with zero

    example:

    44-44=0
    44/44=1
    (4x4)/(4+4)=2
    (4x4-4)/4=3
    remember that you must use four 4's
    next up the number 4
  2. Standard member forkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    20 Jun '14 05:21 / 1 edit
    4+(4-4)/4 = 4
    4 + (4/4)^4 = 5
    (4 + 4)/4 + 4 = 6
  3. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    20 Jun '14 05:21
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    how many numbers can be created using four 4's in combination with any mathematical symbol beginning with zero

    example:

    44-44=0
    44/44=1
    (4x4)/(4+4)=2
    (4x4-4)/4=3
    remember that you must use four 4's
    next up the number 4
    (4-4)*4+4=4
  4. Standard member forkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    20 Jun '14 05:25 / 2 edits
    44/4 - 4 = 7
    4-4+4+4 = 8
    4+4+4/4 = 9
  5. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    20 Jun '14 05:38 / 1 edit
    4+(4-4)/4=1 not 4
    your equation for the number 5 is also incorrect
  6. Standard member forkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    20 Jun '14 05:40 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    4+(4-4)/4=1 not 4
    your equation for the number 5 is also incorrect
    My math makes sense to me:
    4+(4-4)/4 = 4
    4 + 0/4 = 4
    4 = 4


    4 + (4/4)^4 = 5
    4 + 1^4 = 5
    4 + (1*1*1*1) = 5
    4 + 1 = 5

    Check your order of operations
  7. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    20 Jun '14 05:42
    remember to use parenthesis or else your equation for number 9 is incorrect
  8. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    20 Jun '14 05:43
    must use 4 fours
  9. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    20 Jun '14 05:49
    square root, factorials, logarithms etc. may be used
  10. Standard member forkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    20 Jun '14 05:50
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    remember to use parenthesis or else your equation for number 9 is incorrect
    I think you are mis-remembering the order of operations
  11. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    20 Jun '14 07:38
    the number 13 is difficult
  12. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    20 Jun '14 07:39 / 2 edits
    my mistake forkedknight
    can you do number 13?
  13. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    20 Jun '14 12:59 / 2 edits
    sqrt(4^4)*sqrt(4)+sqrt(4)=10
    4+4+4-sqrt(4)=10
    4*4-4-sqrt(4)=10

    4*(4-4/4)=12


    4*4-4/4=15
    sqrt(4)*sqrt(4)*sqrt(4)*sqrt(4)=16
  14. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    20 Jun '14 14:21
    now 13
    can anyone come up with a formula for 13?
  15. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    20 Jun '14 14:29
    to avoid any ambiguities the use of parenthesis may be required