1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 20:063 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So by measuring the coriolis effect then you'll know the distance from the center.

Do like this: Hold a marble two meters up from the floor. Let it go. Measure the distance from the position where it should hit the floor without the coriolis effect, and the position where it actually hit the flor. This distance, in some sense, is a metric of the coriol ...[text shortened]... system.

But by doing this by a shaky hand it's to crude to get any information out of it...
    In this case you need to use something that doesn't bounce so you get a true reading. My calc's put the drop at around 63 meters away from the drop point, a significant distance. In order to get one G at one Km radius, you need to be going about 0.95 RPM which means you are going pretty fast on your interplanetary carousel. So it takes about 63 seconds per revolution which comes out pretty close to 100 meters per second of circular travel. (6283 odd meters of circumferance/63 seconds)
    If you drop an object from 2 meters up at 1G, it takes 0.63 seconds to hit the ground. Of course on Earth, you drop it and assuming it is in still air, it will hit the ground at your feet.

If you are in a carousel like in space and the centripetal force is one G and it has a radius of 1 Km, it will drop but you see it take off down the tunnel since it is in its own reference frame.

So you will find it some 63 meters from your dropping point, which you can measure, if annoyingly slow, with your 2 meter ruler.

You are pretty sure you are at 1 G because you feel no lighter or heavier than normal.

So you have to mark the dropping point to get an accurate distance reading and then backtrack the equations to get your radius.
  2. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 21:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In this case you need to use something that doesn't bounce so you get a true reading. My calc's put the drop at around 63 meters away from the drop point, a significant distance. In order to get one G at one Km radius, you need to be going about 0.95 RPM which means you are going pretty fast on your interplanetary carousel. So it takes about 63 seconds per ...[text shortened]... point to get an accurate distance reading and then backtrack the equations to get your radius.
    It's not really in its own reference frame though if you're holding it when you drop it. The marble, when you drop it, is going almost as fast as the "ground".
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 00:12
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    It's not really in its own reference frame though if you're holding it when you drop it. The marble, when you drop it, is going almost as fast as the "ground".
    The ground is accelerating centripetally though.
  4. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 07:29
    i still think having a "guitar string" especially one so specific in diameter was displeasingly misleading (in terms of the construction of the wording of this puzzle). instead of feeling like a "red herring" it makes me feel toyed with and is rather unnecessary - would be better to say you have a marble, with no guitar string?

incidentally, if you "hung something" from a piece of flaccid string in this environment would there be a measurable "bend" in the string? that is even more satisfying as an answer than measuring the difference between where it lands and where it "should have landed" after dropping, imo
  5. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 07:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    this is true, but wouldn't your velocity be imparted on the marble as you drop it? wouldn't it be much closer to its "intended" dropping point than sonhouse calculated? or am i missing something special about the fact it's centripetal acceleration?
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 10:511 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Stupid question: If the speed differences are significant between ground and two meters, should we feel any effect as we stand? Wouldn't the Coriolis effect be "felt"?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 10:59
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Stupid question: If the speed differences are significant between ground and two meters, should we feel any effect as we stand? Wouldn't the Coriolis effect be "felt"?
    Yes, you would feel it if your tall enough compared to the radius of the rotating system.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 11:07
    Yes, you would feel it if your tall enough compared to the radius of the rotating system.
    Thanks for the answer, but what is enough? Would it be felt in this specific case?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 11:21
    Thanks for the answer, but what is enough? Would it be felt in this specific case?
    Then I have to know the radious of the rotating system. Do we know that yet? Or have a good estimation?
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 11:29
    Then I have to know the radious of the rotating system. Do we know that yet? Or have a good estimation?
    It's 1 km, exactly (see OP).
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 11:381 edit
    It's 1 km, exactly (see OP).
    In that case, I don't believe your height is enough to feel anything.

In an amusement park, once when I was a boy, there was a rotating 'barrel' (correct word?) standing up, the axis was vertical, perhaps the radius was about 5 meters. We went in and the barrel began to spin. The centrifugal force made you glued on the 'walls' like a fly. With an effort you could sit up, but it was with a great effort you could stand up. You fell all the time. I suppose the signals from my eyes and my balance perception wasn't aligned. A very strange feeling.

So if you're tall enough compared to the radius, then you can feel a difference. In the OP's case, I don't think you can feel anything.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 11:41
    In that case, I don't believe your height is enough to feel anything.

In an amusement park, once when I was a boy, there was a rotating 'barrel' (correct word?) standing up, the axis was vertical, perhaps the radius was about 5 meters. We went in and the barrel began to spin. The centrifugal force made you glued on the 'walls' like a fly. With an effor ...[text shortened]... then you can feel a difference. In the OP's case, I don't think you can feel anything.
    Ok. That's interesting considering that if you drop something it will fall on the ground 63 meters away from you. But I guess that's not the Coriolis force?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 11:49
    Ok. That's interesting considering that if you drop something it will fall on the ground 63 meters away from you. But I guess that's not the Coriolis force?
    I don't believe in the calculation showing that the marble hit the 'ground' 63 meter from your feet if the radius is 1 km and the drop is 2 meter at 1 G. No, not 63 meter, it seems increadible according to my intuition.
    Can you imagine this experiment inaction? Seeing the marble fly almost horizontally from your hand?
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 11:521 edit
    I don't believe in the calculation showing that the marble hit the 'ground' 63 meter from your feet if the radius is 1 km and the drop is 2 meter at 1 G. No, not 63 meter, it seems increadible according to my intuition.
    Can you imagine this experiment inaction? Seeing the marble fly almost horizontally from your hand?
    No, that's why I'm confused how that can happen and still one doesn't feel the effect! It seems unintuitive, but intuition can often be wrong...
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 12:01
    No, that's why I'm confused how that can happen and still one doesn't feel the effect! It seems unintuitive, but intuition can often be wrong...
    If there is a force making your marbles fall off almost horizontally from your hand, what wouldn't you feel at your head? No, I think this is a mis-calculation, nothing more.

No, 1 km radius, 2 meter tall, at 1G - I don't think you will feel much. Your marbles will fall almost vertical. Perhaps a deviation of some millimeters. 63 meter?, no, I don't think so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree