Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Joined
    27 Aug '03
    Moves
    10627
    15 Dec '03 12:14
    A pilot wants to celebrate the New Year in style, so he decides to fly over his home city with a banner streaming from the back of his plane. He sits up New Years eve painting out the year on an enormous banner, which he then attaches to the back of his plane. He sets out the next day, flying around showing off his wonderful banner, but upon landing discovers to his dismay that he has attached it upside down. 😲 But then he looks again and realises that it doesn't matter.

    So, the question is this : What year did he paint the banner in?
  2. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Joined
    04 Jul '02
    Moves
    3790
    15 Dec '03 16:51
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    A pilot wants to celebrate the New Year in style, so he decides to fly over his home city with a banner streaming from the back of his plane. He sits up New Years eve painting out the year on an enormous banner, which he then attaches to the back of his plane. He sets out the next day, flying around showing off his wonderful banner, but upon landing discov ...[text shortened]... ses that it doesn't matter.

    So, the question is this : What year did he paint the banner in?
    Lots of possible answers. Could you narrow it down a bit?

    My guess is that he painted the banner in the year 1960, as that's the only answer between 1903 (first heavier-than-air flight) and 2003.
  3. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Joined
    27 Aug '03
    Moves
    10627
    15 Dec '03 17:091 edit
    That's the puppy. What other possibilities are there? The only other (slightly dubious) one I can think of is 2001, 2s look sort of right upside down.
  4. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Joined
    04 Jul '02
    Moves
    3790
    15 Dec '03 18:16
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    That's the puppy. What other possibilities are there? The only other (slightly dubious) one I can think of is 2001, 2s look sort of right upside down.
    Well, there are years like 68, 608, 6008 etc. 😀
  5. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Joined
    27 Aug '03
    Moves
    10627
    16 Dec '03 08:48
    Well 6008 hasn't happened yet, and I don't think they had flight in 68 or 608.
  6. central usa
    Joined
    22 Jul '03
    Moves
    20848
    16 Dec '03 16:41
    i guess the question is whether "upside down" means "flipped 180 degrees" as one usually thinks of it on paper rather than printed upside down.
    if the above is correct, the answer would be 1961. it could have been 1881, but there were no airplanes then. 😀
    the next time this happens is a long way in the future (when?)!
  7. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Joined
    10 Dec '03
    Moves
    8816
    16 Dec '03 20:26
    Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
    i guess the question is whether "upside down" means "flipped 180 degrees" as one usually thinks of it on paper rather than printed upside down.
    if the above is correct, the answer would be [b]1961
    . it could have been 1881, but there were no airplanes then. 😀
    the next time this happens is a long way in the future (when?)![/b]
    I agree with 1961, I think the next time this happens is 6009, over 4000 years into the future
  8. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Joined
    27 Aug '03
    Moves
    10627
    17 Dec '03 08:58
    Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
    i guess the question is whether "upside down" means "flipped 180 degrees" as one usually thinks of it on paper rather than printed upside down.
    If you read the question, it does say that he puts the sign on upside down. You can't really paint something upside down by accident!
  9. Standard memberkingofthe303
    Wormtongue
    Edoras
    Joined
    22 Sep '03
    Moves
    30830
    17 Dec '03 15:46
    If the digit "1" is painted correctly i.e. with the slightly diagonal stroke at the top of the vertical and the horizontal underline at the base of the vertical, an upside down "1" looks more like an angular, squashed, back-to-front "J" 😕😛
  10. Maine USA
    Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    983
    28 Dec '03 06:18
    HAHA in the year l96l

    You have a better shot arguing the deslexia of 2's and 5's.
    like 2005

  11. Bloomfield Hills
    Joined
    28 Apr '05
    Moves
    62
    28 Apr '05 23:22
    Three fish are in a bowl. One drowns. How many are left?😀
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    493
    29 Apr '05 07:28
    Originally posted by legoman
    Three fish are in a bowl. One drowns. How many are left?😀
    You found this thread back in Dec '03 and you decided to put this in it?! Doesn't refer to the topic in hand at all!

    Anyway, I presume there are still three left. Just because he's dead doesn't mean he's been taken out yet. Am I right?
  13. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Joined
    12 Oct '04
    Moves
    8623
    30 Apr '05 12:33
    Originally posted by legoman
    Three fish are in a bowl. One drowns. How many are left?😀
    How would a fish drown. We could say due to lack of WATER, or lack of OXYGENATED water. In the former, the bowl is empty, or the fish has leadped out. If the bowl is empty, all the fish are dead, if he leaped out, two remain.

    If it is due to lack of OXYGENATED water, they are all dead.

  14. Joined
    28 Mar '05
    Moves
    251
    30 Apr '05 15:05
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    A pilot wants to celebrate the New Year in style, so he decides to fly over his home city with a banner streaming from the back of his plane. He sits up New Years eve painting out the year on an enormous banner, which he then attaches to the back of his plane. He sets out the next day, flying around showing off his wonderful banner, but upon landing discov ...[text shortened]... ses that it doesn't matter.

    So, the question is this : What year did he paint the banner in?
    How does the pilot discover that the banner was attached upside down?
  15. Joined
    28 Mar '05
    Moves
    251
    30 Apr '05 15:07
    Originally posted by Alcra
    How would a fish drown. We could say due to lack of WATER, or lack of OXYGENATED water. In the former, the bowl is empty, or the fish has leadped out. If the bowl is empty, all the fish are dead, if he leaped out, two remain.

    If it is due to lack of OXYGENATED water, they are all dead.

    I disagree one dies first.
Back to Top