1. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 10:30
    so here is how it goes...

you are dead, know you want to get to heaven, there are to gates one that leads to heaven and one that leads to hell on each gate there is a guard, one guard can only speak the truth and one guard that can only lie. you dont know which guard is watching which door and you have only one question you can ask a guard of your choice (you dont know if he is the liar or the honest guard) ONLY one question that the answer will tell you which gate leads to heaven...
  2. Standard memberZaps
    CCU Operative
    Leics, England
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 12:051 edit
    Ask one of the guards "is the other path correct?"

If the guard says "no", the other path is correct.
    If the guard says "yes", the other path is not correct.
  3. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 12:40
    Originally posted by Zaps
    Ask one of the guards "is the other path correct?"

If the guard says "no", the other path is correct.
    If the guard says "yes", the other path is not correct.
    wrong.
    if the guard who says no is not lying?
    and if the guard says yes maybe he is lying?

its not that easy...🙂
  4. Standard memberZaps
    CCU Operative
    Leics, England
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 12:57
    But it works both ways...I think.

*After going through his answer...*

OK, maybe I'm wrong...it only half-works...
  5. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 13:02
    🙂 it took me about 1 hour to crack the answer
  6. Joined
    24 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 14:02
    I am working on this. I think the key must be that the honest guard COULD BE guarding the gate to hell, and it COULD BE the dishonest guard at the gate to heaven. Riddles are always based on misdirection (kind of like magic acts) and so I am guessing the key is to shed the assumption you naturally would make (that the dishonest guard must be at the gate to hell)

Not that I have come up with the magic question yet...
  7. Joined
    24 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 14:54
    How about this:
    Ask whichever guard you go to: Should I believe the other guard if he tells me he is guarding heaven? If the guard says Yes, stay right there and go in his gate. If the guard says no, go in the other gate .(The honest guard will only say yes if he is guarding heaven but he would say no if he is guarding hell, whereas the dishonest guard will also say Yes if he is guarding heaven - since he'll want you to believe the other guard is at the gate of heaven -- but will say no if the other guard really IS guarding heaven). How is that answer?
  8. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 15:04
    Originally posted by tomak
    How about this:
    Ask whichever guard you go to: Should I believe the other guard if he tells me he is guarding heaven? If the guard says Yes, stay right there and go in his gate. If the guard says no, go in the other gate .(The honest guard will only say yes if he is guarding heaven but he would say no if he is guarding hell, whereas the dishonest guard will ...[text shortened]... of heaven -- but will say no if the other guard really IS guarding heaven). How is that answer?
    nice!!
    wow! i didnt expect anyone to get it so fast thats immpresive...🙂🙂🙂
  9. Joined
    24 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 15:30
    Originally posted by Faith No More
    nice!!
    wow! i didnt expect anyone to get it so fast thats immpresive...🙂🙂🙂
    It was challenging. Can't stop trying to figure those out once you get started! ;-)
  10. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 15:43
    i have a few more good riddles ( harder ones) that i cant remmember right now but ill post in the future!!!😀
  11. Standard memberZaps
    CCU Operative
    Leics, England
    Moves
    23 Apr '04 18:41
    Ahh...I was close...
    Good riddle. 🙂
  12. Out there somewhere
    Moves
    25 Apr '04 07:54
    I must be missing something but could you explain this answer a bit clearer.

Question "Should I believe the other guard if he tells me he is guarding heaven"

There are 4 possibilities. Honest guard (h) and lying guard (l), heaven gate (Hv) and hell gate (Hl)
    The answer to this question for each

(h)(Hv) - no
    (l)(Hl) - no
    ---------------------
    (h)(Hl) - yes
    (l)(Hv) - yes

You say if the guard says yes, go in his gate.. For the second scenario if you ask the honest guy (on hell gate) he will say yes and you will go in the Hell gate? Also in the first scenario if you asked the honest guy (on heaven gate), he could say no and you will go in the hell gate.
    Did i miss something??
  13. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    25 Apr '04 10:49
    Originally posted by dk3nny
    I must be missing something but could you explain this answer a bit clearer.

Question "Should I believe the other guard if he tells me he is guarding heaven"

There are 4 possibilities. Honest guard (h) and lying guard (l), heaven gate (Hv) and hell gate (Hl)
    The answer to this question for each

(h)(Hv) - no
    (l)(Hl) - no
    ---------------------
    (h ...[text shortened]... guy (on heaven gate), he could say no and you will go in the hell gate.
    Did i miss something??
    i think that the question is refrased not good. the question should be "if i ask the other guard which door he is guarding what wilol he say" you are missing the fact that the guard says what the OTHER guard would say not him
  14. I'm in Checkmate
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 05:14
    How about, "If I ask the other gaurd if he is guarding the gates of heaven will he say yes?".
  15. The moral highground
    Moves
    08 May '04 15:50
    You would ask the question what is the square root of minus 24 said arter the name of your road
    if thy say the name of there road and then say it dosent exist you know they are telling the truth

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree