1. Joined
    04 Mar '03
    Moves
    22 Feb '08 21:42
    Consider a small airplane during take-off on a concrete runway. Just at take-off, it is traveling at 100 mph. That is the speed required to obtain sufficient lift for it to leave the ground.

Now, imagine this same plane is not on a concrete runway. Instead it is on a giant long treatmill. The surface of the treadmill is traveling at 100 mph in the opposite direction from the direction in which the plane is pointing. The plane's throttle is wide open just as it was on the concrete runway.

What will you observe in this case? Will the plane be able to take off? Why or why not.
  2. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    22 Feb '08 22:41
    Originally posted by ddebened
    Consider a small airplane during take-off on a concrete runway. Just at take-off, it is traveling at 100 mph. That is the speed required to obtain sufficient lift for it to leave the ground.

Now, imagine this same plane is not on a concrete runway. Instead it is on a giant long treatmill. The surface of the treadmill is traveling at 100 mph in the opposi ...[text shortened]... way.

What will you observe in this case? Will the plane be able to take off? Why or why not.
    The plane will take off..... This has come up many many times already..... Planes derive their forward motion by pulling themselves through the Air, not down force on the wheels..... Thus the plane moves forward, thus there's air flow around the wings and the plane takes off.... and the wheels spin twice as fast......

Mythbusters actually proved this with a small ultralight aircraft.....
  3. Joined
    04 Mar '03
    Moves
    22 Feb '08 22:48
    I apologize for being repetitive. I have just now returned after a considerable absence from RHP and have not been following this forum.

Your statements are correct.
  4. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 01:30
    Originally posted by ddebened
    I apologize for being repetitive. I have just now returned after a considerable absence from RHP and have not been following this forum.

Your statements are correct.
    Sorry if I came across as harsh also. Its just that this has been argued to death and I have a friend who still thinks it will only apply to smaller aircraft. That the down force on the wheels of say a 747 would be sufficient to prevent take off speeds.... I can't provide definite proof.... can any of you actually??
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 23:06
    Originally posted by Mexico
    Sorry if I came across as harsh also. Its just that this has been argued to death and I have a friend who still thinks it will only apply to smaller aircraft. That the down force on the wheels of say a 747 would be sufficient to prevent take off speeds.... I can't provide definite proof.... can any of you actually??
    the thrust of the engines of a 747 can easily overcome the friction from the down force. As you said, the wheels will just spin faster.
  6. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 23:11
    Originally posted by uzless
    the thrust of the engines of a 747 can easily overcome the friction from the down force. As you said, the wheels will just spin faster.
    Thats what I said, he just won't believe me.... I think I gonna need to get the exact specifications of a 747 and do the math just to prove the point....
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 23:22
    Thats what I said, he just won't believe me.... I think I gonna need to get the exact specifications of a 747 and do the math just to prove the point....
    don't waste your time.....if he understands why a small plane can overcome the downforce but can't understand why a big plane can overcome the downforce, BECAUSE IT"S FRICKIN ENGINES ARE BIGGER, then your friend doesn't understand why a small plane can take off in the first place.

you'll just be banging your head for no reason.
  8. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 00:17
    Originally posted by uzless
    don't waste your time.....if he understands why a small plane can overcome the downforce but can't understand why a big plane can overcome the downforce, BECAUSE IT"S FRICKIN ENGINES ARE BIGGER, then your friend doesn't understand why a small plane can take off in the first place.

you'll just be banging your head for no reason.
    I spend my life banging my head off the wall with this guy..... See I studied physics, and geology as well as bits of other sciences..... He did philosophy, English lit and politics..... But still has an opinion on everything....
  9. Standard memberedcburgos28
    BORIQUA POWER
    Puerto Rico
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 03:22
    i neeed to know if there are any new peer 2peer sites available from anyone please
  10. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 03:32
    Originally posted by edcburgos28
    i neeed to know if there are any new peer 2peer sites available from anyone please
    Use bit torrent and ISOhunt.com.... Peer to peer sucks, use torrents, faster safer and virus free generally...
  11. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 15:50
    Use bit torrent and ISOhunt.com.... Peer to peer sucks, use torrents, faster safer and virus free generally...
    Err...BitTorrent is peer-to-peer.
  12. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 18:19
    I spend my life banging my head off the wall with this guy..... See I studied physics, and geology as well as bits of other sciences..... He did philosophy, English lit and politics..... But still has an opinion on everything....
    Tell him his opinion counts for $h1t against fact. Done.
  13. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 18:20
    Originally posted by mtthw
    giggle. 😵
  14. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 21:55
    tell him that he is philosphically correct. the 747 can't take off because of all the angels sitting on the wings
  15. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 22:05
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Sorry, i did know this, the point was its not peer to peer in the same way as other systems that are in common use..... Its very different.... If someone is asking about a new peer to peer system then chance are they're not using bittorrent anyway....

You did manage to make me look slightly stupid.... Well done 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree