1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 00:19
    Originally posted by edcburgos28
    i neeed to know if there are any new peer 2peer sites available from anyone please
    odd first post
  2. Standard memberedcburgos28
    BORIQUA POWER
    Puerto Rico
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 06:45
    hello my friends! how is the new holiday? well I hope sum of you are doing well . I have notice in these chess matches there are some competition. I would like to thank all of Bosses in setting up these matches. 😀
  3. Standard memberedcburgos28
    BORIQUA POWER
    Puerto Rico
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 06:48
    You guy's I need to know if there's any new bit torrents that are out now? I know there's someone out there that could help me with this . Because some of the bit torrents are not very good. So if there's some new one please give me a list of them . Thank you!!
  4. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    13 Dec '08 15:53
    Nice to be thankful, but this particularly thread is about airplanes trying to take off of treadmill runways..
  5. SubscriberD4V
    Hard Spanker
    Verona, Italy
    Moves
    26 Dec '08 01:41
    Originally posted by ddebened
    Consider a small airplane during take-off on a concrete runway. Just at take-off, it is traveling at 100 mph. That is the speed required to obtain sufficient lift for it to leave the ground.

Now, imagine this same plane is not on a concrete runway. Instead it is on a giant long treatmill. The surface of the treadmill is traveling at 100 mph in the opposi ...[text shortened]... way.

What will you observe in this case? Will the plane be able to take off? Why or why not.
    The plane will be able to stay in the same position and wont take off. No way to fly. The reason a plane can lift from the ground is the air that move faster above the wings then below. On a treadmill the air is fixed on the wings.
  6. Joined
    18 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '08 06:32
    HAHA D4V, you're either a troll or simple.

Go read the 1000+ posts on various internet forums, view the mythbusters experiment and talk to someone who has done some physics.

By that time you will appreciate the plane can and will take off.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '08 08:59
    Originally posted by D4V
    The plane will be able to stay in the same position and wont take off. No way to fly. The reason a plane can lift from the ground is the air that move faster above the wings then below. On a treadmill the air is fixed on the wings.
    Planes take off due to lift created by airpresure differencials above and below the wings; not due to the speed the ground is moving. If the plane is moving through the air at sufficient speed to to generate the required pressure differecials then it will fly, irrespective of what the ground is doing. In this case all that happens is the wheels turn faster during take off (as stated in an above post).
  8. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 02:03
    The purpose of the wheel on a jet engine isn't to provide thrust for forward movement, but to reduce the friction which counters thrust.

The thrust of a plane on the runway (moving or not) comes from the propeller or turbines which draw air in and propel it behind the plane, and being on a moving runway does not affect this at all. Hence the plane will move forward as before, and all aerodynamic forces normally in effect remain in effect, and the plane takes off.

Mythbusters has looked into this and busted the myth.
  9. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '08 02:041 edit
    *D'oh, another accidental post*
  10. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 14:231 edit
    If the plane requires it's engines to be flat out to reach 100mph
    for take off, as in the scenario of the concrete tarmac, it can be
    said that any less than this speed will result in the plane not taking
    off.

The net difference in speed between the plane and the treadmill
    will be just under 200 mph. Surely, since you have not stated that this is a
    frictionless surface. This increase in negative pressure will not allow
    the plane to take off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree