1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    28 Jan '09 23:45

    Add white pieces, then mate in 1.
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    29 Jan '09 11:53
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    [fen]8/pPpppp2/1p6/5P2/2NP4/8/b1K1kPP1/q3BR2 w[/fen]
    Add white pieces, then mate in 1.
    I suppose I may not add one (only one) Black piece? 🙂
  3. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    29 Jan '09 11:57
    Is it mate in one for White or for Black?
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    29 Jan '09 17:42
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Is it mate in one for White or for Black?
    white
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    29 Jan '09 17:43
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    I suppose I may not add one (only one) Black piece? 🙂
    Would that really help?
  6. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    0
    29 Jan '09 18:51
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    [fen]8/pPpppp2/1p6/5P2/2NP4/8/b1K1kPP1/q3BR2 w[/fen]
    Add white pieces, then mate in 1.
    --- Spoiler ---
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Black has no last move, and will not have one even after the addition of the white pieces. So we must add pieces in such a way that after every 1st black move white will have mate in 1. At least I think so🙂
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    29 Jan '09 19:20
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Would that really help?
    Yes - if you add a bNh8, Black has a last move to retract in Ng6-h8. Now it appears Black has no move but:

    Add wBe4 - Black's last move was ...b2xa1=Q - the pawn has captured its way from g7 to a1, 6 pieces, so White has room only for ten units. Seeing there are only 9 White units now, White is allowed to add one unit. So +wBe4 and 1. Bd3#
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    30 Jan '09 06:443 edits
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Yes - if you add a bNh8, Black has a last move to retract in Ng6-h8. Now it appears Black has no move but:

    Add wBe4 - Black's last move was ...b2xa1=Q - the pawn has captured its way from g7 to a1, 6 pieces, so White has room only for ten units. Seeing there are only 9 White units now, White is allowed to add one unit. So +wBe4 and 1. Bd3#
    SOLV'D [allowing bNh8 spoils the problem]
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    30 Jan '09 18:43
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    SOLV'D [allowing bNh8 spoils the problem]
    Exercise for the class:
    Why doesn't +wNh1 and 1.Ng3# work? Or +wQh3 and 1.Qd3#?
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    30 Jan '09 23:35
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Exercise for the class:
    Why doesn't +wNh1 and 1.Ng3# work? Or +wQh3 and 1.Qd3#?
    Master, master, these pieces must have been captured on the pawn's way from g7 to a1.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    01 Feb '09 00:27
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Master, master, these pieces must have been captured on the pawn's way from g7 to a1.
    Specifically, they are all captured on dark squares, so the only piece that can remain is the one that can never travel on a dark square.
  12. Joined
    04 Aug '08
    Moves
    5701
    05 Feb '09 00:28
    queen on d3
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    05 Feb '09 03:43
    Originally posted by worrell
    queen on d3
    Nope.
  14. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    05 Feb '09 16:16
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Nope.
    But that is mate!😞
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    05 Feb '09 17:18
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    But that is mate!😞
    *resets for the next kid who comes in late to class*
Back to Top