Checkers-like Retro

Checkers-like Retro

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
27 Mar 08
1 edit

Construct a game that ends in the above position. The rule is as in checkers/draughts: whenever a player is able to capture an enemy unit, a non-capturing move is not allowed.

D

Moves
28 Mar 08

Should I give a hint? πŸ˜‰

i

Moves
28 Mar 08

Originally posted by David113
Should I give a hint? πŸ˜‰
The only thing that I can think of is that black should have captured a white knight at d6 (else it is hard to see how a piece got there without capturing). What bothers me is that both sides are missing one pawn exactly (white are missing a bishop, but how would a bishop get to "d6" without capturing some other piece?), so that means that Black's last move was either exd6 (presumably knight?) or Nh6-g8 (else the White pawn at h2 would have been obliterated). Now to the promotion problem - with only three pieces missing there just don't seem to be enough possible captures to achieve that.
I will have to think more when I have more time. There should be something I am missing.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
28 Mar 08

doesn't seem possible that the bishop could be captured at d6 without grabbing a pawn first.

J

In Christ

Moves
28 Mar 08

I'm thinking the black h pawn promoted on g1 to a rook and everything white left that rank. Then the new black rook got to d6, the white bishop captured it, the black e pawn captured the bishop, and the white pieces went back to rank 1. I don't have time to try it out though.

a

Moves
28 Mar 08
1 edit

wPxbP(h6),bRxwP(h6),b1-b2,Bc1-a3,Ba3-e6,f7xe6

white opens g4-bKa6,w g5-b h6.....and black moves K and R.....

a

Moves
28 Mar 08

[fen]rnbqkbnr/pppp2p1/3p1p2/8/1P3P2/8/P1PPP2P/RN1QKBNR[/fen]

Construct a game that ends in the above position. The rule is as in checkers/draughts: whenever a player is able to capture an enemy unit, a non-capturing move is not allowed.
wait a minute....are U sure?
it seems imposible -the h8R makes imposible
or not?..........?

J

In Christ

Moves
28 Mar 08

Just throw the g8 knight in front of it and move it back as Black's last move.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
28 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Jirakon
I'm thinking the black h pawn promoted on g1 to a rook and everything white left that rank. Then the new black rook got to d6, the white bishop captured it, the black e pawn captured the bishop, and the white pieces went back to rank 1. I don't have time to try it out though.
The problem is: how do you get past wPg and wPh without one of them capturing? And even assuming that difficulty can be solved, if I ...hxg2, wB is still on f1, and Pg2 will be forced to capture it [or Rh1] next. If I take further up the board, wPh2 has to capture as soon as I step on g3.

A White promotion has the same problem. I almost need to play gxh7 to get past h6, which is permanently guarded by Pg7, but the minute I land on g6, ...hxg6 is forced unless I have another capture. As if that weren't enough trouble, bRh8 is trapped in the NE corner if ...exd6 has not yet been played. wP would have to capture it if it's on g8, and it would have to capture wPh7 if it's on h8.

One long shot is that somehow a P could sneak through with discovered check. The other side could then get out of check instead of capturing. I can't find any good checks yet, though.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
29 Mar 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
The problem is: how do you get past wPg and wPh without one of them capturing? And even assuming that difficulty can be solved, if I ...hxg2, wB is still on f1, and Pg2 will be forced to capture it [or Rh1] next. If I take further up the board, wPh2 has to capture as soon as I step on g3.

A White promotion has the same problem. I almost need to play g ...[text shortened]... could then get out of check instead of capturing. I can't find any good checks yet, though.
Finally solved this one. Solution PM'ed.

Hint: As suspected, a discovered check [by pawn move] is needed to achieve a promotion.

D

Moves
29 Mar 08
1 edit

Finally solved this one. Solution PM'ed.

Hint: As suspected, a discovered check [by pawn move] is needed to achieve a promotion.
You're solution works, but actually it is possible to solve this problem without a check.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
29 Mar 08
1 edit

You're solution works, but actually it is possible to solve this problem without a check.
Maybe I cooked another one.

Is this your composition?

D

Moves
29 Mar 08

Maybe I cooked another one.

Is this your composition?
No

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
29 Mar 08

No
I found it. A word of friendly advice: if you are going to quote problems, please stick to the original stipulation.

The stipulation for this one should be: "Losing Game: What was the first move of Pf2?"

D

Moves
29 Mar 08

I found it. A word of friendly advice: if you are going to quote problems, please stick to the original stipulation.

The stipulation for this one should be: "Losing Game: What was the first move of Pf2?"
Two questions:

What is "Losing Game"?

How did you search the web for a chess position?

ThanxπŸ™‚