1. R.I.P.
    Moves
    20 Dec '04 23:54
    Here is a good puzzle to try over the Christmas holiday.

you will need
    4 knifes (all the same size with flat handles)
    4 bottles (all the same size)
    1 glass of water.

Arrange 3 of the bottles in a triangle on a table. There should be a distance, which is just slightly greater than the length of one the knifes between each bottle.

Using the knifes construct a platform in the centre which will take the weight of a full glass of water. The knifes must not touch the table.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    once you cracked that one

Arrange the 4 bottles in a square, again the distance between the bottles being just over the length of one of the knifes. Again using the knifes, construct a platform that will take the weight of a full glass of water. The knives must not touch the table.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Finally

Arrange 2 bottles so that there is a distance of, one and a half (i.e. 1.5) of the length of a knife between them.
    Construct a platform that will hold a full glass of water, the knives must not touch the table.

have fun
  2. Joined
    28 Jan '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '05 09:31
    LOOKS LIKE IT'S A BAD PUZZLE CAUSE NOBODY IS WRITING BACK 2 U
  3. R.I.P.
    Moves
    17 Feb '05 23:161 edit
    Originally posted by D Ma G
    No its not that, i just forgot that everybody on this site eats with chops sticks, yoU know it is under the TOS (terms of SERvice) 😉
  4. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    18 Feb '05 11:10
    Originally posted by D Ma G
    No, that's not the reason, it's just difficult to describe in words what you can do in construction!

The first is easy: Rest one end of the knife on each bottle, preferably the thick, bulky part. Then let the sharp ends of the knives "knit" over and under each other at the other end. This will hold the glass.

I haven't tried the other two, will give it a go at home tonight!

CJ
  5. my head
    Moves
    18 Feb '05 12:38
    Originally posted by CalJust
    No, that's not the reason, it's just difficult to describe in words what you can do in construction!

The first is easy: Rest one end of the knife on each bottle, preferably the thick, bulky part. Then let the sharp ends of the knives "knit" over and under each other at the other end. This will hold the glass.

I haven't tried the other two, will give it a go at home tonight!

CJ
    the four bottle version should work the same as the three. the two i dont know
  6. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    18 Feb '05 16:16
    The two bottle on is the same as the four bottle one, you just need to balance the knives now. (you'll have two knives with one end sticking out into the air).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree