Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    23 Sep '06 08:12
    A woman is lying on the ground, dead. She seems to have been camping in the woods in Alaska with her compulsively truthful husband - who never, ever lies. She has a puncture wound which goes through her sleeping bag, between her ribs and into her heart. Mixed with the blood on her chest is a quantity of urine. The husband says that they went to sleep and the next morning he found her like this. He is an expert tracker, but could find no evidence of anyone else having been there, and swears he did not do it himself.

    What was the cause of the puncture wound which led to her death?
  2. 23 Sep '06 09:46
    i'm quite sure that i know the answer cause i've seen a picture with it. sent you a PM
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Sep '06 00:53
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    A woman is lying on the ground, dead. She seems to have been camping in the woods in Alaska with her compulsively truthful husband - who never, ever lies. She has a puncture wound which goes through her sleeping bag, between her ribs and into her heart. Mixed with the blood on her chest is a quantity of urine. The husband says that they went to sleep ...[text shortened]... rs he did not do it himself.

    What was the cause of the puncture wound which led to her death?
    A huge bird took a pee and that froze in midair into a spike of cold urine which, falling, punctured the sleeping bag, her lungs and heart and then just warmed up to liquid temperature again.
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    24 Sep '06 02:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    A huge bird took a pee and that froze in midair into a spike of cold urine which, falling, punctured the sleeping bag, her lungs and heart and then just warmed up to liquid temperature again.
    A huge metal bird?
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    24 Sep '06 07:41
    You guys got it!
  6. 24 Sep '06 09:12
    here's the pic i was talking about. is it a fake or can anyone confirm this really happend?
    http://www.crazyweird.de/stuff/woman.jpg
  7. Standard member MCA
    TokerSmurf
    24 Sep '06 10:21 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    here's the pic i was talking about. is it a fake or can anyone confirm this really happend?
    http://www.crazyweird.de/stuff/woman.jpg
    The pic is most definately a fake IMHO.

    I cant see how the warm stream of urine would stay together in a straight line long enough for it to freeze once it has left the plane. It would break up with the turbulance long before it froze.

    Look at the thickness of the spear ... do you pee a stream a few inches wide like that? That is a lot of urine in that spear. Even if there was a huge leak in the plane's toilet, large enough to allow that volume of urine out in one burst, it would not freeze quick enough to create a spear like that.

    The only possible option would be a small leak slowly dripping out and creating a large 'pissicle' (in the same manner icicles are formed) but then it would not be of uniform length all the way down the shaft and would most definately break up with the turbulance during flight.

    Even ignoring all of the above, if the 'pissicle' did form to that size and then made it to earth without breaking. After travelling down from the height which would have been required for it to be formed the speed of it would have snapped into bits under its own weight on impact.

    This is not to say that the story is not somehow loosly based in truth (possibly a far smaller 'pissicle' could be formed and be highly dangerous). Only that the image provided is an obvious fake.
  8. 24 Sep '06 11:25
    Everyone who experienced ordinary hailstorms knows that the ice-drops is not big enough to hurt anyone, even if they are created in high altitudes.
    In special circumstances the hails can be considerable big but that must be extraordinary circumstances and is not common.
    No, these 'pissicles' are not dangerous.
  9. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    24 Sep '06 11:38
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Everyone who experienced ordinary hailstorms knows that the ice-drops is not big enough to hurt anyone, even if they are created in high altitudes.
    In special circumstances the hails can be considerable big but that must be extraordinary circumstances and is not common.
    No, these 'pissicles' are not dangerous.
    In Bulgaria I once saw a hailstorm with 'drops' the size of large fists. I was in my car and had to park it under a bridge. It was impressive, you could see individual 'drops' quite far away and whenever they fell on the road they shattered and spread wide.

    If something like that fell on my head, it would do some serious damage, for sure. Regardless of my head thickness.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    24 Sep '06 22:35
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    here's the pic i was talking about. is it a fake or can anyone confirm this really happend?
    http://www.crazyweird.de/stuff/woman.jpg
    It's fake. Go to http://www.darwinawards.com/ and use the Search function to look for "falling urine deadly".
  11. 26 Sep '06 16:12
    Hailstones can kill, see http://tinyurl.com/5mlcu
  12. 26 Sep '06 16:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Hailstones can kill, see http://tinyurl.com/5mlcu
    Hail is not made of stone, but if so, yes, hailstones can kill.
    Even hail made of ice can kill but usually is harmless.
    Larger hails are rare.
    A spike of the kind the original poster is talking about just can't be formed and therefore totally impossible to happen.
    Your link is interesting but not aplicable in this scenario.
  13. 26 Sep '06 16:49
    A hailstone is simply a piece of hail. It's a common English word and doesn't imply that they are made from stone.

    My link showed that death caused by ice, in the form of hailstones, falling from the sky has killed before and done so spectacularly. I think this is strong evidence that a piss icicle could also kill someone if it happened to fall on them.
  14. 26 Sep '06 17:14
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    A hailstone is simply a piece of hail. It's a common English word and doesn't imply that they are made from stone.

    My link showed that death caused by ice, in the form of hailstones, falling from the sky has killed before and done so spectacularly. I think this is strong evidence that a piss icicle could also kill someone if it happened to fall on them.
    Oh, sorry my lack of language skills. Thank you for correcting me.

    Large hailstones (I learn quickly, don't I?) can, as I said, kill. But they are formed under highly rare events. It is highly improbable that spilled piss forms large hailstones, highly improbable.

    Everyone pissed from a high place, from a bridge, viewing point and such, knows that the piss is formd into small piss spheres rather instanaous. Even large quantities form small droplets, for example from a forrest fire water bombing areoplane.

    To form large hailstones, large enough to kill anyone on the ground demands very special circumstances, like falling through a densed suprachilld clouds of water to build up to large hailstones. There is no such thing as a densed suprachilld clouds of piss, I'm sorry, there are not this kind of fenomenon known to man.

    But if a hailstone of piss large enough to kill anyone can't just form itself as a speare. It is not possible.

    And if it was possible it would not fall with the sharp end first, just not possible. Try for yourself to let a stick fall from high altitude. Id falls bellywise, not edgewise. Areodynamics doesn't permit bellywise.

    So what are we talking of here? Can a spear of piss fall from the sky and kill anyone? Well, Jesus walked on water. To believe one has to be religous.
  15. 27 Sep '06 01:33
    Here's more evidence that falling ice doesn't have to be spherical to be dangerous:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1219713.stm

    Was it a Sherlock Holmes story where the murderer used a dagger made from ice which melted before the body was discovered? I also remember reading a Roald Dahl story where the murder weapon was a frozen lamb chop, which was duly cooked and fed to the investigating policemen!