1. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 21:22
    AS far as I can tell, the only bit of the problem we have to solve, is why they get very annoyed when they get to the bottom of the block of flats? PRETTY MUCH

Has their van been stolen? NO
  2. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 21:23
    Originally posted by Shiny Knight
    It's hot, and it's only when they arrive downstairs they realise they could have used the couch to rest?
    NOPE
  3. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 21:24
    Do they knock the second time on the same doors as the first time? (sorry, I know this is asked before, can't find it) YES
    Are there different stairs in the block of flats? PROBABLY NOT
    Are there different stairs leading to the appartment where they need to deliver the couch? PROBABLY NOT
    do the men try it at a different stairs the second time? NO
    IF TRUE, do they get very annoyed because there is someone not home too? NO
  4. The Lowlands
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 21:472 edits
    Is the weather in any way a factor in them becoming annoyed?
    Is the function of the couch relevant to them becoming annoyed?

It's only when they come downstairs they discover, for instance by accidentally dropping it, they could have taken the couch apart fairly easy?

5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 07:241 edit
    Is the reason they have to have every other door opened (which is a
    laborious process) because the couch has to be 'wiggled' down the
    hall by sticking part of it in an apartment as they rotate it forward,
    then sticking it in another apartment as they rotate the other end
    forward, and so forth?

And, when they get partially down the line, they encounter a door
    which will not open, which results in their going back (by the same
    process).

Is this right? Is it close?

Nemesio
  6. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 19:09
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Is the reason they have to have every other door opened (which is a
    laborious process) because the couch has to be 'wiggled' down the
    hall by sticking part of it in an apartment as they rotate it forward,
    then sticking it in another apartment as they rotate the other end
    forward, and so forth?

And, when they get partially down the line, they encou ...[text shortened]... results in their going back (by the same
    process).

Is this right? Is it close?

Nemesio
    Substitute stairs for hall, assume they get angry when they have to go back, and consider what might make them even angrier after the reverse and you will be there!
  7. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 19:10
    Is the weather in any way a factor in them becoming annoyed?
    Is the function of the couch relevant to them becoming annoyed?

It's only when they come downstairs they discover, for instance by accidentally dropping it, they could have taken the couch apart fairly easy?

No, No and No, sorry
  8. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 19:19
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Substitute stairs for hall, assume they get angry when they have to go back, and consider what might make them even angrier after the reverse and you will be there!
    OK, what might make them angry.

Are they angry because they have to go back up the stairs with the couch again for some reason?

Are they angry because the man who owns the destination flat turns up?
  9. Joined
    24 May '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 19:473 edits
    Do they go down with the couch?

Does anyone who is relevant turn up?
    Do the men get anrgy because anyone turns up?
    Do the men get angry because nobody turns up?
    Do the men get angry because they wait long outside?
    Do the men get angry because anyone made a fault? (wrong adress, or one of them dropped the couch accidentally, or something)

When they are down again, do they wait there?
    Do the men go back up if they are down again?
    Do the men go away when they are down?
  10. The Lowlands
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 20:19
    They're blocking the stairs all day & now they got stuck downstairs, then a doctor has to go up, it's an emergency; they have to go back up?

11. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 21:18
    They're blocking the stairs all day & now they got stuck downstairs, then a doctor has to go up, it's an emergency; they have to go back up?

Ok I'll give you it, I think you've all got so close that I should give you the prize.

The two men arrive at a block of flats to deliver a sofa, it's too big to fit in the lift they begin to take it up the stairs. However they can't get it round the bend in the stairs and they have to knock on someone's door so they can move an edge of the sofa through it. Next they find out that the same thing is required on every flight, meaning that every second door on the stairs has to be opened. They get one flight below the destination floor and disaster strikes - someone is out and so they can't get the sofa up the last flight. Annoyed, they decide to give up on the job and take the sofa back to the warehouse, so they go back down the stairs, again getting every second door opened. Near the bottom disaster strikes again, the first guy has gone out! Now thay have a sofa blocking the only access to the flats, they have to wait for one or the other occupant to get back before they can move it, and they can't go home until that happens!
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Jun '05 01:35
    Ok I'll give you it, I think you've all got so close that I should give you the prize.

The two men arrive at a block of flats to deliver a sofa, it's too big to fit in the lift they begin to take it up the stairs. However they can't get it round the bend in the stairs and they have to knock on someone's door so they can move an edge of the sofa thr ...[text shortened]... other occupant to get back before they can move it, and they can't go home until that happens!
    That's a good one! I will have to remember it.
  13. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    24 Jun '05 07:461 edit
    A-ha!

Okay, yes, I can see that making sense. My problem is that I was only thinking horizontally, not vertically. Knocking on doors on DIFFERENT FLOORS didn't really enter my head.

Have you read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by any chance? It's a book by Douglas Adams (also the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) which I think is his best novel. It involves a couch stuck halfway up the stairs.
  14. Joined
    24 May '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '05 18:532 edits

The two men arrive at a block of flats to deliver a sofa, it's too big to fit in the lift they begin to take it up the stairs. However they can' ...[text shortened]... fore they can move it, and they can't go home until that happens!
    This is a very good puzzle, I liked to solve it. Just think it took around 240 posts before we finished it!

Anybody else know a puzzle like this one, maybe not so hard??
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Jun '05 02:51
    Are the doors they are knocking of apartments facing the same side of the building? NO
    Why were they not facing the same side of the building?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree