Drink !!!

Drink !!!

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M
sorozatgyilkos

leölés ellenfeleim

Moves
23 Jan 07

Originally posted by mtthw
I can do it with 10. Treat each prisoner like a binary digit. For the nth bottle, give a tiny amount to the prisoners who make up the binary representation of n.

E.g. 500 = 111110100

So give a tiny bit to prisoners 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7.

Once you know who's died, they will give the binary number of the poisoned bottle. You need 10 because 2^10 = 1024.

Any good?
Absolutely correct. Well done! 😀

J

back in business

Moves
23 Jan 07

cool

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Jan 07

Nice puzzle. One minor quibble: It might be difficult to serve 1000 rounds of wine to ten prisoners in a mere 4 hours (especially since the binary count must be maintained without a single mistake!).

M
sorozatgyilkos

leölés ellenfeleim

Moves
23 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Nice puzzle. One minor quibble: It might be difficult to serve 1000 rounds of wine to ten prisoners in a mere 4 hours (especially since the binary count must be maintained without a single mistake!).
I agree; wine and binary don't mix, but then these things are all hypothetical anyway.

When, exempli gratia, does a bloke find his having to transport a wolf, a goat and a cabbage across a river, &c., &c....?

🙂

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Mathurine
I agree; wine and binary don't mix, but then these things are all hypothetical anyway.

When, exempli gratia, does a bloke find his having to transport a wolf, a goat and a cabbage across a river, &c., &c....?

🙂
I was referrring more to the time it might take to swig 1000 wine glasses, but you could get around this problem by mixing the drinks in advance. Then, each prisoner is presented with their own tumbler (keg?) with a unique combination, and you find out with one sip each which bottle it is. In fact, you could remove the times altogether, and just stipulate a poison that kills instantly.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
23 Jan 07

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I was referrring more to the time it might take to swig 1000 wine glasses, but you could get around this problem by mixing the drinks in advance. Then, each prisoner is presented with their own tumbler (keg?) with a unique combination, and you find out with one sip each which bottle it is. In fact, you could remove the times altogether, and just stipulate a poison that kills instantly.
I think that would reduce the answer to 1 prisoner, because he could then take a teeny tiny sip from each bottle until he got to the poisoned one.

m

Moves
23 Jan 07

Originally posted by PBE6
I think that would reduce the answer to 1 prisoner, because he could then take a teeny tiny sip from each bottle until he got to the poisoned one.
No, because you might have to wait 20 hours to find out if each bottle is poisoned. You've only got 24 hours, so you can't wait for that.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Jan 07

Originally posted by PBE6
Ahh, right.

VB

Moves
23 Jan 07

can you give us something less scientifical?