Drinking in an elevator

Drinking in an elevator

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
26 Mar 07

If you were travelling downwards in an elevator from the 20th floor to the lobby, and at about the 10 floor you swallowed a mouthful of water, would the water take longer to get into your stomach than if you had swallowed it while standing in the lobby?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
26 Mar 07

Originally posted by uzless
If you were travelling downwards in an elevator from the 20th floor to the lobby, and at about the 10 floor you swallowed a mouthful of water, would the water take longer to get into your stomach than if you had swallowed it while standing in the lobby?
If we assume that the force of gravity does not change significantly between the 20th and 1st floors, and the elevator is not accelerating but traveling downward at a uniform speed, the water will reach your stomach in the same amount of time as usual. If the elevator is accelerating downward, the water take longer than usual.

C

Earth Prime

Moves
26 Mar 07

Originally posted by PBE6
If we assume that the force of gravity does not change significantly between the 20th and 1st floors, and the elevator is not accelerating but traveling downward at a uniform speed, the water will reach your stomach in the same amount of time as usual. If the elevator is accelerating downward, the water take longer than usual.
if you drink while free falling... do you choke because it won't go down at all? I assume not, since astronauts can somehow drink.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
26 Mar 07

But Uzless specified the 10th floor - assume a TurboLift - it accelerates down to the 10th floor at 5 g's (aprrox 50 m/s^2 or 150 ft/s^2) and then decelerates from there, again at 5 g's. In the initial phase (going down the first 10 floors) the passengers are stuck to the ceiling, after that they are all knocked unconcious as the effective force of gravity reverses and they are flung to the floor. The trick then is to drink the water in the first place...

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
27 Mar 07

Originally posted by Coconut
if you drink while free falling... do you choke because it won't go down at all? I assume not, since astronauts can somehow drink.
I think it all depends on how we envision the drinking. I was picturing a person drinking out of a water bottle such that there would be a stream from the bottle to the person's mouth (i.e. the water in the stream is not attached to the person or the elevator), and the water sliding right down the person's throat as if it were just being poured into a stomach-shaped bucket.

Before the elevator moves, the water is in free fall but the person is not. Once the elevator starts moving, the water is still in free fall, and the person moves down with the elevator. If the elevator moved fast enough, both the person and the water would be in free fall. Now, two objects in free fall will fall at the same rate (barring air resistance, etc...), which means that the water being "poured" out of the bottle would never catch up with the person's stomach below it if they were both in free fall. It obviously does catch up with the stomach when the elevator is not accelerating downwards. I can't see any reason why the transition between these two states would be anything other than a smooth one, therefore the water must take longer to reach the stomach if the elevator is accelerating downward.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
27 Mar 07

Astronauts do drink in space, but they don't pour liquids down into their mouths using gravity as the driving force, they suck it out of little Capri-Sun like packets (otherwise the surface tension force, so miniscule here on the surface of the Earth compared to gravitational effects, makes the liquid creep out of the glass and cover it like the Blob).

B
Consigliere

Ontario, Canada

Moves
27 Mar 07

muscles essentially move the water into your stomach...not gravity...so it shouldn't have any effect

c

Moves
27 Mar 07

Originally posted by uzless
it would be the same either way

N

Moves
28 Mar 07

What if you're in a lift going from the 90th floor down to the 12th floor. It's an old lift and isn't very fast. If you start drinking cider at the 78th floor and you drink at a rate of 1 can every 4 floors, how drunk will you be when the lift stops?

G

B is for bye bye

Moves
29 Mar 07

Originally posted by Nicky4815
What if you're in a lift going from the 90th floor down to the 12th floor. It's an old lift and isn't very fast. If you start drinking cider at the 78th floor and you drink at a rate of 1 can every 4 floors, how drunk will you be when the lift stops?
And on what floor do you begin to wish the elevator had a bathroom?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Mar 07

Think about it, you can hang upside down and still swallow, so gravity is overcome in any event.

L

CA

Moves
26 Apr 07

Peristaltic movement moves the water, coordinate muscle contraction that also prevent backflow. Works quite well. Anyone who has been to college knows that you can drink beer while standing on your hands leaning against a wall.

Learux

L

CA

Moves
26 Apr 07

nice timing sonhouse surprised that our posts did not crash somewhere into each other

Learux

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Apr 07

Originally posted by Learux
nice timing sonhouse surprised that our posts did not crash somewhere into each other

Learux
Nice crashing into you too. My people will speak to your people.....

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
28 Apr 07
1 edit

Astronauts do drink in space, but they don't pour liquids down into their mouths using gravity as the driving force
Gravity isn't involved in the drinking action (beyond getting the liquid into your mouth, I guess). Ever hear of peristalsis?

Its through this muscular action that you can drink while upside down. Try it and see.

D

[edit] Seems I'm a little late with my comment.