Easy!

Easy!

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M
sorozatgyilkos

leölés ellenfeleim

Moves
12 Jan 07
1 edit

Achmed and Ali are camel-drivers and on one day they decided to quit their job. They wanted to become shepherds. So they went to the market and sold all their camels. The amount of money(dinars) they received for each camel is the same as the total of camels they owned. For that money they bought as many sheep as possible at 10 dinars a sheep. For the money that was left they bought a goat.
On their way home they got in a fight and decided to split up. When they divided the sheep there was one sheep left. So Ali said to Achmed "I take the last sheep and you can get the goat". "That's not fair" said Achmed, "a goat costs lesser than a sheep". "Ok", Ali said "then I will give you one of my dogs and then we are even". And Achmed agreed.

What does a dog cost?

M

Moves
12 Jan 07

Dogs typically cost about 4 dinars, no?

M
sorozatgyilkos

leölés ellenfeleim

Moves
12 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Mephisto2
Dogs typically cost about 4 dinars, no?
Close!

1 sheep - 1 dog = 1 goat + 1 dog
1 sheep - 1 goat = 2 dogs
A sheep is 10 dinars, but what does a goat cost?
The money they received for their camels is a square. And the decade of this square is odd (total money / 10 dinars), because they could not divide the sheep equally.
Now the interesting thing is that all squares with an odd decade end on a 6. (16^2 = 256, 24^2 = 576). So a goat costs always 6 dinars.
10 - 6 = 2 dogs
So a dog costs 2 dinars.... yes?

M

Moves
12 Jan 07

You're right! I forgot the fact that Ali had to give in a dog, making the last adjustment equal to 2 dogs, and not 1.

M
sorozatgyilkos

leölés ellenfeleim

Moves
12 Jan 07

I wish I had your chess rating, though!!

🙂