eight balls - puzzle

eight balls - puzzle

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

penguinpuffin

finsbury

Moves
01 Feb 05

apologies if this has appeared before

you have eight balls, they all look and feel identical. however one of them weighs slightly less than the others (you can't tell by holding them).

you want to work out which is the lighter ball.

all you have is a pair of ballancing scales (ie tells you if stuff on one side weighs the same as stuff on the other side).

you can fit as many balls as you like on the scales.

how can you find out for sure (ie not relying on luck) the identity of the lighter ball IN THE LEAST NUMBER OF WEIGHINGS?

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
01 Feb 05

weigh 4 against 4. take the 4 on the lighter side, and weigh two against two. then one against one. that's 3 weighs...

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
01 Feb 05

Originally posted by murrow
apologies if this has appeared before
Indeed it has. In fact, I was thinking of compiling a 'Posers & Puzzles FAQ' section on my website, including a general approach to the balance problem. In this case, the answer is that 2 weighings are needed, but I'll leave others to explain why.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
01 Feb 05

okay-3 against 3. if they balance, weigh the remaining two. else, weigh 2 from the lightest side against each other. if they balance, it's the other one from that side. and if they don't, the lightest one is -well- the lightest one! 😀

f

my head

Moves
01 Feb 05
1 edit

3*3
if equle, then the other two for an answer.
if one is less, then of the lighter, 1*1
if equle, then the one left out
if one is lighter, then that one.

penguinpuffin

finsbury

Moves
01 Feb 05

yup, that's it (you both are saying the same i think)🙂