1. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 22:42
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The stipulation could easily be fixed to avoid this (minor) ambiguity.

"One of the men owns a fish. Which one?"
    Wow aren't you the brain. Minor problem!? You must have something in your ears (I suspect it came from your colon), because the whole point of the problem is the actually READ the question. Therefore your suggested change destroys the whole problem.

Of course this problem could be altered easily to make it fit the answer that the German owns a fish. Even easier would have been to state "The German owns a fish. Here are some other useless facts."
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 23:532 edits
    Originally posted by Gastel
    Wow aren't you the brain. Minor problem!? You must have something in your ears (I suspect it came from your colon), because the whole point of the problem is the actually READ the question. Therefore your suggested change destroys the whole problem.

Of course this problem could be altered easily to make it fit the answer that the German owns a fish. Ev ...[text shortened]... easier would have been to state "The German owns a fish. Here are some other useless facts."
    The whole point is to deduce that the German owns a fish, and not to engage in overly semantic psychobabble, or play "Simon says" with the wording.

I completely disagree with your interpretation of Einstein's intent.

EDIT: Interpreting the riddle your way makes it as worthless as FrenchQueen's "which word in the English language is most often pronounced incorrectly?".
  3. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 11:261 edit
    So I guess the answer is "not the Brit, Dane, Swede or Norwegian" if you take "a different pet" to mean each one owns only one pet. In science nothing can be taken for granted, such as there being a fish owner on any given street.
  4. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 12:37
    The whole point is to deduce that the German owns a fish, and not to engage in overly semantic psychobabble, or play "Simon says" with the wording.

I completely disagree with your interpretation of Einstein's intent.

EDIT: Interpreting the riddle your way makes it as worthless as FrenchQueen's "which word in the English language is most often pronounced incorrectly?".
    You're about as thick as it gets. 'Semantic psychobabble' You're career (if you are old enough to be out of nappies), must be in something that requires no brain, like siliva production.

FIrst, after some research, you will find that Einstein cannot be definatively credited with the origin of this riddle. You will also find that about 98% of people try to get an answer like yourself and ignore the actual question and instead make a convinent other question. (Someone owns a fish, so who seemingly owns no pet?) This is where the author of the riddle traps everyone. This is not intended to be a huge problem solving venture, but rather an exercise into how the solver comes to grips with the problem.

Show where in the puzzle it DEFINITIVELY can be concluded that ANYBODY owns a fish. And do it without making an assumption that may or may not be valid. YOU CANNOT DO IT! (I'll save you the trouble, so that you can continue making drool.)

So although you believe that you have to deduce something from the questions, remember the source is a scientist or mathematician (as the author may not actually have been Einstein, but instead Lewis Carroll). These are not individuals who revel in assuming things and leaving questions not completely answered. So go troll elsewhere, you're input is irrelevant.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 17:18
    You're about as thick as it gets. 'Semantic psychobabble' You're career (if you are old enough to be out of nappies), must be in something that requires no brain, like siliva production.

FIrst, after some research, you will find that Einstein cannot be definatively credited with the origin of this riddle. You will also find that about 98% of people try ...[text shortened]... ing questions not completely answered. So go troll elsewhere, you're input is irrelevant.
    Jesus H. Christ, you're such a 'tard.

The hilarious thing is that you fancy yourself an intellectual. You're about on the same level as eldragonfly.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 17:19
    Originally posted by mrstabby
    So I guess the answer is "not the Brit, Dane, Swede or Norwegian" if you take "a different pet" to mean each one owns only one pet. In science nothing can be taken for granted, such as there being a fish owner on any given street.
    This isn't science. It's a riddle.
  7. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 19:23
    Jesus H. Christ, you're such a 'tard.

The hilarious thing is that you fancy yourself an intellectual. You're about on the same level as eldragonfly.
    I guess the comments directed towards me are coming from a reliable source. On the other hand, maybe they are coming from an induhvidual who has sh!t for brains and isn't afraid to use it.

I think I know which one it is.

And what does the H stand for? And was his last name Christ? Joesph and Mary Christ don't sound like biblical people.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 05:23
    I guess the comments directed towards me are coming from a reliable source. On the other hand, maybe they are coming from an induhvidual who has sh!t for brains and isn't afraid to use it.

I think I know which one it is.

And what does the H stand for? And was his last name Christ? Joesph and Mary Christ don't sound like biblical people.
    Behold! The true intellectual's preoccupation.

Thread 45865
  9. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 05:24
    Behold! The true intellectual's preoccupation.

Thread 45865
    Good comeback. That is known as a past time, not a pre-occupation.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 05:30
    Good comeback. That is known as a past time, not a pre-occupation.
    The kind of pasttime that any intellectual would love to have.
  11. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 05:31
    I think this thread clearly points out that it is you who suffer from logical influenza.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 05:45
    I think this thread clearly points out that it is you who suffer from logical influenza.

The answer is nobody. That is why it is only 2%, because everyone tries to answer a question that isn't there or isn't answerable.
    Pick one of the following options regarding Einstein's riddle:

- The answer is 'nobody'.
    - There isn't even a question. That little hook-looking symbol thingy is just a figment of everyone's imagination.
    - There is a question, but it is not answerable.

Or, you may entertain me further by continuing to assert all three at the same time, even though they all contradict each other.

Don't forget to monitor your temperature while thinking on this.
  13. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 06:19
    Pick one of the following options regarding Einstein's riddle:

- The answer is 'nobody'.
    - There isn't even a question. That little hook-looking symbol thingy is just a figment of everyone's imagination.
    - There is a question, but it is not answerable.

Or, you may entertain me further by continuing to assert all three at the same time, even th ...[text shortened]... contradict each other.

Don't forget to monitor your temperature while thinking on this.
    The answer could be nobody, or the answer could be somebody. The question is answerable, the point is that we do not have enough information.

Of course, as I sit here in fever, I still find myself far superior in intellect to you. Hmmmm. I wonder what that says about people with names that have Dogg spelled with two g's? (Hook-thingy on the end is also known as a question mark, just to help you out.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 13:41

FIrst, after some research, you will find that Einstein cannot be definatively credited with the origin of this riddle. You will also find that about 98% of people try ...[text shortened]... ing questions not completely answered. So go troll elsewhere, you're input is irrelevant.
    Yer a gud speller? (yer punkshuayshun is purty gud 2.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 17:26
    The answer could be nobody, or the answer could be somebody. The question is answerable, the point is that we do not have enough information.
    LOL

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree