1. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 05:37
    Great riddle. The task is easy once you figure out how to go about it.
  2. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 09:17
    gastel is canadian.....now it all makes sense.
  3. Joined
    23 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 10:0711 edits
    Originally posted by chess kid1
    - These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

Einstein's riddle is: Who owns the fish?

------------------------------

Is it possible that the solution to this problem comes down to these two words?

"keep" and "own"

When my neighbor goes on vacation, I might “keep" their pet for a while.

Even though one of the neighbors in this problem may be keeping, lets say a bird - the problem statement allows that this bird might actually be owned another neighbor.

In this case, the answer would be nobody or unknown.

???
  4. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 12:47
    Originally posted by MikeOldehoff
    gastel is canadian.....now it all makes sense.
    Correct. Canadians are the smartest. Thanks for acknowledging that.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:25
    Originally posted by Gastel
    Why would I solve the rest (although it is not difficult)? The question does not ask - "What does everyone have for pets, smokes, houses and drinks?" It asks, "Who owns the fish?"

Why waste time solving everything that is not asked? Did you determine or conclusively disprove the existence of gravitons before posting? If not, why not?
    You didn't answer my question.

Did you actually solve for the rest, or not?
  6. Backside of desert
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 18:40
    Did you determine or conclusively disprove the existence of gravitons before posting? [/b]
    Yes.

Oh wait, that was my cat.

I'll have to get back to you on that graviton thing.

Go Canada 🙂
  7. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 23:48
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You didn't answer my question.

Did you actually solve for the rest, or not?
    No. It was not required. And I answered the first time. I know reading can be a problem for some, but do try and keep up.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 23:56
    No. It was not required. And I answered the first time. I know reading can be a problem for some, but do try and keep up.
    How do you know that solving for the rest is "not difficult" (your words) if you've never done it?

The reason that people find it hard to keep up with what you write is because you love making self-contradictory claims.
  9. Backside of desert
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 02:06
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    How do you know that solving for the rest is "not difficult" (your words) if you've never done it?
    I would like to point out that assessment of a problem can be achieved with out solving. Eg. sum[(f{x}=7x+4),(R={17....134})]

and before you ask, No I did not solve for mr. fishie either. I am far more entertained by reading 300 posts about how unsolvable something is.

[edit] sum=64990
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 17:46
    Originally posted by preachingforjesus
    I would like to point out that assessment of a problem can be achieved with out solving. Eg. sum[(f{x}=7x+4),(R={17....134})]

and before you ask, No I did not solve for mr. fishie either. I am far more entertained by reading 300 posts about how unsolvable something is.

[edit] sum=64990
    Hmm, shouldn't the sum be 62835?

I disagree that assessment of difficulty is possible without solving. At a minimum, you should successfully solve at least one problem of similar type before claiming such problems are 'easy'.
  11. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 21:171 edit
    In all likelyhood, the semantics are just that...semantics. I think "The German owns the fish." is what Einstein was looking for.
  12. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 21:201 edit
    It must have been very hard for Einstein to create the riddle. Anyone care to take a shot at conjuring up a similar one of their own?
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 22:16
    Originally posted by dmnelson84
    In all likelyhood, the semantics are just that...semantics. I think "The German owns the fish." is what Einstein was looking for.
    Insufficient data! What are the odds that a German would own a fish? They probably prefer cats or dogs as pets. You need to do a survey of German pet-owners before you presume to know what kind of pets they have. Einstein wants you to think outside the box, dammit! 😵
  14. Joined
    22 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 16:13
    Logical! The Fish is in THE QUESTION ! ! ! Clue 5. duh! Norwegian keeps the Fish as a Pet 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree